zobop

new member - zobop

Damn, dude. You opening a bar?

Welcome. :cheers:

You're not missing much with Betina's "Swiss" La Bleues. The ones I've had were decent to mediocre, but not worth what she wants for them. She's been using that tired old line about seizure and damage for years. How that woman isn't in jail is beyond me.

As much as I strongly disapprove of her "business model" and think she's being both dishonest and foolhardy, I do have to say that she never deserved the treatment she's gotten other places on the web. It was ugly.

So where in NC? I am originally from Long Island, NY and everybody is moving down there. My sister lives near a town called "Cary" which is jokingly referred to as "Central Area for Relocated Yankees". I visited there last year and I had an "Easy Rider" fear of the South. After I left, I could not believe how polite and civil everyone was. The North has lost something, I believe.

Welcome! :cheers:

Congrats on the extensive order. What the others said.

If you can, it would be good to add your reviews to the main site. I'm sure it'll help others, and it may help clarify your thinking on what you do and don't like.

I am located in the western part of the state in the mountains near Asheville.

Hm. Back in the early to mid-60's Grandma had a cabin in the Smokey's up above Burnsville. Really fond memories. I was all of 10-14 yrs. old.

Hello Poor,

I have frequented bladeforums occasionally. The forum where I found most of my knives was "microholics".

Thanks Hiram,

I just could not see paying those prices. Glad to hear her La Bleue's are not the end-all ultimate absinthe nirvana

that some of her reviewers claim. I just took her as being kind of accentric and greedy. I did not know anything

about her online reputation or previous dealings with online forums.

As far as ordering alot of selections, I figure why go through many nerve-wracking orders and waiting for overseas

shipments? I would rather get it over with fast and have lower shipping rates. Now I will be able to let the bottles I

don't care for run out, and make notes for the ones I will want to replace eventually. I figure I will most likely narrow

down my favorites to around a dozen varieties.

I will be sure to share my thoughts and reviews on these selections, even if I am an amateur.

This is a great forum!!

Edited by zobop

She's been using that tired old line about seizure and damage for years.

Then there's the other line when asked about her 100 proof la bleue...Something to effect of "I don't drink absinthe for the alcohol buzz, it tampers with real fairy effect", or some such horse puckey. :poop: :twitchsmile:

Yeah, you see them once in a while here. If you get out to the Brevard and Pisgah Forest areas,

you see alot more of them. Brevard even has the "White Squirrel Festival" every year.

White Squirrel Festival

Edited by zobop

she seemed quite put off and defensive. I recall her saying how "disconcerned" she was and why I bothered asking her all those questions etc
It sounds like you just forgot to call her "Mistress Betina". No discount for you! ;)

An impressive order you made, indeed. Your way through the pays d'absinthe will be long and wonderful, but be prepared for some pretty nasty bumps in the road, as well as some real hallelujah moments.

Well come! :cheers:

Welcome here. Some of my favorites are on that list.

The information on these pages has prevented a truckload of bad orders.

You should ,of course, feel enormous guilt at the expenditure. People are starving all over this country.

In fact, I disgust myself often for the same reason you should disgust yourself.

Don't worry! This feeling quickly passes after the first sip of really nice Absinthe.

:cheers: Welcome zobop!Impressive, incredible order! what scary total$$$$ does all that add up to? Youve certainly beat out Masterpc on large orders.. ! Glad you escaped Betina, just a matter of time before Betinas "empire" will have to shift totally to the antiques as her ridiculous absinthe prices fall to the legalization movement... ,also add your Loc to the Frappr WS Map and this City thread.... :cheers:

Thanks Jetzster,

Since I used a fresh credit card and don't have any other credit card debt, I ordered about $3,000 of selections.

If I had to use only cash, it would have been around $500. I will pay off this balance in 3 or 4 months, then forget

about the card again.

I also added some new specimens to my megalodon shark teeth collection. Fun stuff!!

Edited by zobop

I wouldn't question your new collection. For me, if I were building up from scratch, I'd pull about the same ratio. It gives you a good foundation to educate yourself, but also provides a heck of an opportunity to proselytize those who believe the Bohemian variety is the way to go.

I also added some new specimens to my megalodon shark teeth collection. Fun stuff!!

Mmm, BIG! Any other prehistoric teeth in them there collection that are non-shark?

Hi baubel,

Not yet. My collection is fairly new. Instead of trying to purchase the super-huge 6 inch + teeth, I am focusing on quality 3.75 to 5.50" size.

The Carcharocles megalodon was active from around 5 million to 25 million years ago. They grew to lengths up to 60 to 90 feet, as big

as a Greyhound bus.

I remember back in high school in the late '70's, a friend of mine's dad found some meg teeth so big they barely fit in a Crown Royal bag.

Do a google search on "megalodon teeth". You will find some really fascinating stuff. The majority of the meg teeth are found in Florida,

Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. But some are also found in California, as well as in the south pacific and Chile.

I lucked out and met a guy that dives for them and will charge me almost wholesale prices. Most sellers are quite greedy and are charging

a fortune. Guess I can't blame them since there are hundreds of wealthy collectors out there searching for Grade 10 meg teeth over 6 inches.

I think I almost enjoy meg teeth more than really good auto knives. :cheers:

Edited by zobop

Nasty fish. A few years ago National Geographic put out an issue with some of the giant sea reptiles from a while ago with comparative size chart fold out. Interesting stuff. Have you seen any of the prehistoric whales that had nasty teeth? I believe they came in after the sea reptiles (and megalodon). I don't mind them not being around anymore, they make Jaws look like a Disney character. I wish archelons were still around though, those punks were cool.

This is very interesting and true.

Most of the divers I have spoke with that collect megalodon teeth say that many times when they find teeth,

they are mixed with ancient whale vertebrae and other bones. The megalodon were feeding on the whales

and losing teeth in the process. It wasn't a big deal for the megalodons because they had 2 or 3 rows of teeth

that were constantly replacing each other. Both the Meg teeth and the whale bones usually show signs of feeding

marks.

I am originally from Florida, and have friends down there that dive for incredible fossils including arrowheads,

mammoth bones, sabertooth tiger skulls and teeth, shark teeth, indian pottery, and many other interesting items.

I moved up here to the mountains 10 years ago.

There are many other interesting ancient shark teeth to be found, including Carcharocles chubutensis,

Carcharocles angustidens, Otodus aksuaticus, and Otodus obliquus. Collectors like to call the chubutensis

teeth "Chubs".

Check out this comparison between a megalodon and common great white shark (and poor bait: human diver).

This is a small megalodon. They could reach twice this size easily.

MegGWcompar_sm.jpg

Edited by zobop

Welcome neighbor.

Noticed you're in Asheville. I just got back from Brevard and Asheville this past weekend. It's lovely up there right now.

Perhaps we'll have a few in the future and I can sample some of that awesome looking "Q". :dribble:

I moved up here to the mountains 10 years ago.

You call them mountains? :tongue:

Just kidding, Zobop. It's a beautiful area. I would drive through Asheville on occasion when I taught at Clemson. That was back when the earth was young, of course. :wheelchair:

Just for your palate education, I've classified your list a little (no pretension here, just trying to help).

No particular order within the lists.

Start with:

TRUL Absinthium 1792

Strong68

Abisinthe 72 Amer

Now that you've vomited, let's start again ;)

1st Floor (low level to mid level, no complexity here):

Bonne Mère

La Muse Verte

Un Emile 68

Un Emile 68 La Blanche

Versinthe La Blanche Limited

White Fairy

Partisane Vintage 2004

Moulin Vert

Angélique 72 Verte/Elixir des Anges/Angélique Verte Suisse/Suisse Verte Clandestine (All the same)

François Guy

2nd Floor (the Bleues, and as we say "once you've tasted one you've tasted them all", but it will give you a good idea of what fennel tastes like):

Kübler 45

Jean Jaquet

L'Interdite

La Valote "Francis Martin"

La Valote "Willy Bovet"

Capricieuse 72

Clandestine 53

Elixir du Pays de Fees

FrancoSuisse

3rd Floor (the real stuff):

Blanche de Fougerolles

Blanche de L'Heure Verte

Blanchette (if you want to identify the taste of very good wormwood)

Brevans H.R. Giger

Duplais Blanche

Duplais Verte

Eichelberger

Jade Edouard

Jade Verte Suisse

Jade Nouvelle Orleans

Montmartre

Verte de Fougerolles

The guys at Absinthe Classics mentioned a new "Doubs Mystique" and a new "1797" selection.

I waited for a while because they said it would be available at the end of October. Then they

changed the estimated date to mid November. This was also when they said they would have

alot more Jade Edouard in stock. I got tired of waiting and they let me order 2 bottles of Edouard,

so I went ahead and ordered.

That guy, Oxygenee, was right to recommend those 2.

Thanks a bunch, that is a great help.

Are there any top of the line selections I did not buy that are available?

Not including super old expensive vintage stuff?

Just wondering if there are any really good selections I should add to my next endeavour?

:cheers:

Edited by zobop