zobop

new member - zobop

Hello everybody.

I have been lurking here for a while and finally decided to join since I have officially placed my first orders.

Boy, am I glad I didn't make any impulsive purchases before doing alot of research on absinthe. I came very close

to being suckered into buying several different Czech varieties. I thought I had finally found the real deal once I

discovered Green Fairy, King of Spirits Gold, Zele Premium and the other high-octane thujone potions. I came so

close to ordering this stuff, but something kept telling me to keep researching. Some acquaintances also convinced

me of this as well.

Well, one day I was visiting an online forum specializing in automatic knives, and I decided to make a post in the

"anything goes" section regarding absinthe. I mentioned King of Spirits Gold and Zele Premium. Many people chimed

in with mostly negative things to say about absinthe or changed the conversation to Tequila or XO Cognac etc. One

gal replied that if anybody wanted "Real" absinthe, they should contact a lady named Betina and she will hook you up

with the real deal. She even added that if you call her "Mistress Betina", she will give you a discount. I thought that

was pretty funny, but I went ahead and emailed her. Betina sent me her long introduction, customer reviews and price

lists. After studying her information for several days and sending and receiving many emails, I was pretty excited about

her Suisse La Bleue selections. I was getting ready to place an order for a few Suisse selections, and a few commercial

bottles she also sells. Something was holding me back and nagging at me, THE PRICES.

I decided to do some checking around at other recommended absinthe vendors in France, Germany and England.

Good thing I did!! Betina's products were more than twice the cost of the other vendors products, including shipping.

Plus, Betina does not accept credit cards which was a big negative for me. After discussing this with her, she seemed

quite put off and defensive. I recall her saying how "disconcerned" she was and why I bothered asking her all those

questions etc. I replied that at the time I started asking her about her products, I hadn't yet checked the prices of other

vendors. I told her that I was "disconcerned" that she was trying to charge me more than twice the cost I should be

paying. She tried to say how my chances of having my order damaged or confiscated by customs was very high, and

that she takes more care in her packaging and such. I just kind of went my own way after that and she stopped emailing

me.

Anyway, I had a brand new Visa card burning a hole in my pocket and I felt I had done enough homework to make

some good selections making purchases through recommended vendors. Well, I have made orders through 4 different

vendors and am eagerly awaiting for the FedEx man to arrive next week. I purchased several different Swiss La Bleue

varieties, several blanche and verte French varieties, a couple Austrian and German varieties and even a couple Czech

selections (1792 and Strong68). I'll probably regret the Czech purchases, but I wanted to have a couple just to know

what the bad stuff tastes like. This was very expensive, but I am doing something I have always wanted to do and will

always remember. I think I will have enough to last a few years, around 40 bottles. I ordered 2 bottles each of only a

few selections: Jade Edouard, Clandestine 53, François Guy, and Blanchette. Whenever possible, I ordered 1 liter bottles.

I also ordered some inexpensive glasses, spoons, sugar cubes and a book from "La Maison d'Absinthe" in New Orleans, LA.

Even though I occasionally have guilty feeling about spending this much on my absinthe collection, I feel this is a worthwhile

investment for many good times to come. I can't wait to surprise a few good friends and family members on special occasions.

I guess I will always wonder what Betina's Suisse La Bleue's are like, but I won't lose any sleep over it. Let the good times roll!!

I am so glad this forum is here. Not only did it help me make very important decisions in purchasing, but it seems like a great

place to hang out and chat with good people and have a good time. I look forward to sharing my new absinthe experiences

with everyone, and reading all about yours as well.

Cheers!! B)

Edited by zobop

Thanks Absomphe. :)

In one of my emails to Betina, I asked her what she thought about the absinthe-related online forums.

This was before I had even checked out this forum. She said that the online absinthe forums were just

a bunch of pompous drunks. She left the forums in tears. Red flags went up when she said that.

Edited by zobop

Hello zobop!

I had to try a czech absinth in one of my first orders also (Trul).

You have a decent order and I think you'll like it a lot more than the first high octane order you passed on. :cheers:

Hi LeRoy,

Back when I was checking into the Czech varieties, I looked everywhere for a review on Zele Premium.

I wondered if people think it tastes as aweful as KOSG. I never could find a single review on this stuff.

Looks kind of like blue Listerine mouthwash.

Edited by zobop

Here is the list of my orders combined for my collection.

Absinthe 72 Amer

Angélique 72 Verte/Elixir des Anges

Angélique Verte Suisse

Blanche de Fougerolles

Blanche de L'Heure Verte

Blanchette

Bonne Mère

Brevans H.R. Giger

Capricieuse 72

Clandestine 53

Duplais Blanche

Duplais Verte

Eichelberger

Elixir du Pays de Fees

FrancoSuisse

François Guy

Jade Edouard

Jade Verte Suisse

Jade Nouvelle Orleans

JeanJaquet

Kuebler 45

L'Interdite

La Muse Verte

La Valote "Francis Martin"

La Valote "Willy Bovet"

Montmartre

Moulin Vert

Partisane Vintage 2004

Strong68

Suisse Verte Clandestine

TRUL Absinthium 1792

Un Emile 68

Un Emile 68 La Blanche

Versinthe La Blanche Limited

Verte de Fougerolles

White Fairy

Edited by zobop

Welcome zobop! :cheers: Thanks for doing all that research! :thumbup:

I recently had an opportunity to try some very high quality absinthe called King of Spirits. It had a spectacular louche and the taste was just like putting a dab of minty touthpaste in a glass of water and stirring it. Just what I would expect from an absinthe with such a title. :devil:

Hello OMG_Bill and baubel,

The guys at Absinthe Classics mentioned a new "Doubs Mystique" and a new "1797" selection.

I waited for a while because they said it would be available at the end of October. Then they

changed the estimated date to mid November. This was also when they said they would have

alot more Jade Edouard in stock. I got tired of waiting and they let me order 2 bottles of Edouard,

so I went ahead and ordered.

It will be interesting to read the upcoming reviews on these items.

Edited by zobop

Absomphe,

That was actually 5 orders, not 4. I placed my 5th this morning to round out the selections.

Absinthe.de = 12 bottles

Absinth24.Net = 6 bottles

Alandia = 7 bottles

Liqueurs de France = 6 bottles

Absinth24.Net = 9 bottles

I may be a little OCD, but I don't regret this at all. :laugh:

Edited by zobop

Holy crap that's a lot of absinthe. And quite a range from great to pure suck. You'll really know a thing or two about absinthe after trying all of those. :cheers:

Btw, I'd really suggest staying away from absinth24.net. They really push the misinformation and cultivate the bad image that absinthe has gotten.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the heads-up peridot.

I figured I would be safe there since I already learned about the garbage varieties.

I also noticed that Alandia is pushing alot of that same stuff. They say Strong68 is

their "Best Seller". Go figure.

I will be able to determine my favorites from this collection and also figure out which

ones I will never want to order again.

Edited by zobop

Alandia are not as bad as Absinth24. And they have unique glassware and they're apparently the only vendor with the entire Eichelberger line of absinthes, which are mostly fantastic.

As you drink and develop your palate make sure to revisit stuff you've had before to see if you like it more or less. I thought Partisane Vintage 2004 was awesome when I first got it and didn't know shit about shit but I find it undrinkable now.

Welcome! That's an impressive first order! Although some would criticize you for 'wasting your money' on some of those not-so-good brands, I applaud your open mindedness at the beginning of your green adventure.

I think you'll look back on your experiences with all of the brands as very educational. It will give you a great opportunity to educate your palate on a very wide range of taste and quality.

Again, welcome!

Thanks Shabba.

I figured I should taste them all and see what I really like best.

Should I taste the bad stuff first or the good stuff?

Once I have tried them, I suppose I could give away the really bad stuff as Christmas gifts.

Might be a little tacky giving away open bottles as gifts though.

Edited by zobop

There's an argument for both options. It really depends on you.

My recommendation would be to do a little research and find out how each ranks. Break them out into three categories: Vertes, blanches and others. For each category, work from what's described as the worst up to the best.

You'll be able to better appreciate the subtleties of the better brands as your tongue begins to be able to identify the different flavors.

Also, if you are confident enough, we'd love to see some reviews of your experiences in the review section of the main site.

Yes, I will be keeping a journal on my experiences with all 36 varieties.

I will eventually try to use the official review format once I gain some

confidence and knowledge from hands-on experience.

From what I hear, I already wish Jade Edouard was available in 1 liter bottles.

Edited by zobop

I'm floored by the orders. I've got a little OCD too, but, must concede..

Welcome! :cheers:

Where in NC? I saw the link for Naples. Not sure where that is but will look.

Jade Eddie is really good and my favourite Jade. I still don't know what y'all see in PF1901, but then again people have said the same to me about my love of NO.

Brevans may just be my favourite non-limited release absinthe, with Eichelberger 70 close behind.

Anyway, my absinthe education wouldn't have been as complete if it weren't for the crappy bottles I bought when I first started, many of which are on your list.

I am located in the western part of the state in the mountains near Asheville.

I don't live in Naples, I just have my PO Box there for my business. It is so small,

I don't even think it qualifies as a community. It is much nicer picking up my mail

at a small country post office instead of going downtown where the parking and

traffic are terrible.

Edited by zobop

Nice. Love that part of the state. Nice to see another one in the Carolinas!

Yeah, I'm seeing about 13. Proportionally you got way more decent to great stuff than shit, and a pretty appropriate quantity to see the range of what "bad" means, from complete crap like Trul to stuff that really tries to be good but unfortunately fails miserably (Angelique, I'm looking at you).

Also consider that when I say "many of which are on your list," to me "many" is quite different than what I'd wager you'd consider it to be. My first orders were never more than five bottles at a time.

I'll probably drink up the lesser quality bottles first and save the best for last.

I'll bet that most likely, the crappier bottles are the ones I picked that were not in the

"Recommended" or "Classic" or "Deluxe" categories. Some of them did not even have

any reviews, so I just took a chance.

I could have played it safe and only ordered the recommended varieties, but I wanted

to see for myself with some of them.

I haven't yet tried bad or good absinthe, so I'm thinking I will start with the bad and work

my way up to the ones I already know are good by reputation. Who knows? I might even

like a few that some people don't like. The varieties that I bought 2 bottles each of are all

recommended.

Edited by zobop

Ye-Gods! By Cthulhu's tentacles thats alot of absinthe. My only regret is that there is a stretch of rather uninteresting plain and dangerous mountains betwixt myself and you. You would have found yourself a new best friend. Where you perchance talking knives on bladeforums? I used to haunt those forums before I kicked my expensive and illegal passion for Bali-song. Im still recovering, but I carry only three inch blade butterflies to avoid police meddling in my habit. Are you a Benchmade fan?

Oh, jeah. Velcome.