36 replies to this topic

#1 TheScrin

TheScrin

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:04 PM

OK, so i only heard about this the other day, but there is actually a real Absinthe legally distilled right here in Australia.

It is distilled by the Tamborine Mountain Distillery on the Gold Coast of Australia.

This Absinthe has recently won the Gold Medal at the 2007 World Spirits Awards in Austria so I am guessing that it has to be at least half decent.

The description on their website is:

Moulin Rooz
Five-times distilled from the finest grapes, with a perfect balance of Elderflower, Gentian, Fennelseed, Hyssop and Wormwood.
A perfect expression of bitter and aromatic herbs, with hints of the Australian Bush.

I have ordered myself a bottle of this from their website and it should arrive sometime this week. As soon as I try it, I will post a review in this topic.

Click Here for more info on this Australian Absinthe.
:cheers:

#2 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:28 PM

Excellent! I'm looking forward to a review.
You gotta love the pictures of Michael and Alla! :cheers:

#3 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:58 PM

Color me skeptical, but a verte in a clear bottle is not a good sign of care for the final product.

#4 Ari (Eric Litton)

Ari (Eric Litton)

Meega, nala kweesta!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:10 PM

If it wasn't for VDF (ok not the best example for color) I might think that too.
"Oscar Wilde once traveled to an all-cat dimension and appeared on the Late-Late Show with Catman O'Brien."

#5 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,826 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:21 PM

Them there Jade samplers gone been clear too. But they never last too long. :twitchsmile: ;)

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#6 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:28 PM

Okay, then, how about the hype of it being distilled 5 times? This isn't vodka we're talking about. And the number of distillations the base went through is of secondary interest. Or good for obfuscation, I fear.

#7 Marrow

Marrow

• PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 04:22 AM

It looks truly artificial, and is called a herbal scnapps, but I would have hope for it to be honest. It probably won't taste like absinthe as we know it, but I don't think it will be horrible. I look forward to hearing what you think, I know people in Australia who might be interested!

#8 Tim

Tim

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 04:58 AM

Would be interesting to see how it tastes :)
Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast.

http://www.myspace.com/absintheurs

#9 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,253 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:15 AM

Color me skeptical, but a verte in a clear bottle is not a good sign of care for the final product.

My Magic Eight Ball sees an awfully quick feuille mort in its future, at the very least.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#10 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:52 AM

Hmm, mine says at the very best.

#11 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,253 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:00 AM

I keep hearing that Monty Python classic line, " A lot of people in this country pooh-pooh Australian table wines."

#12 Derrick

Derrick

Intoxicologist

• 3,060 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:07 AM

I heard no mention of anis in the ingredients (or did I miss it?). Sounds like a bitter Czech knock-off. ;)
"Reality is a crutch for people who can't enjoy absinthe."

#13 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:38 AM

Until I see a trusted review, I'll stay optimistic and hope Australia now has a good absinthe. I tried to find the competition's judging results or an online review but struck out in both attempts. Yes, the absinthe in the photo looked like Nyquil (and why was he sporting a glass of Moulin Rooz in a cordial glass?) but photos can be deceiving.

#14 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,903 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:23 AM

I keep hearing that Monty Python classic line, " A lot of people in this country pooh-pooh Australian table wines."

:laf:

I love that skit. "It opens up the sluices at both ends."
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#15 TheScrin

TheScrin

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:33 PM

Anise is one of the ingredients but for some reason it isn't mentioned on that particular page. The colour does look kind of fake in those photos, but once i receive the bottle and test it I will post a very honest review.

http://www.world-spirits.com/ is the official site of the World Spirit Awards in Austria but I find the site hard to navigate and to find winners, reviews, etc.

#16 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:09 PM

Polish Apsinthion boasts to have won best in class at the International Wine and Spirits competition some year. If that tells you anything.

Partisane got silver medal at the Absinthiades in 2005 and that's a competition with focus on a single type of spirit with supposedly knowledgeable people judging. It's a terrible absinthe. Awards are meaningless.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#17 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:20 PM

Partisane is a François Guy product that won its medal in Pontarlier. Hardly a non-Partisane jury. It's a little like Rudy Guiliani's wine winning a wine tasting in New York right after 9/11.

And it still only took silver. That tells you how bad it is.
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#18 Poor

Poor

Fancy Boy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:27 PM

Sometimes it seems like there are approximately 5.42 trabillion spirit/beer/wine contests in Europe alone. Between the hundreds of collective years these contests have technically awarded first place to every booze ever. At least it seems that way whenever I look through the wine section.
"Babies belong in this lake, go ahead, throw him in!" said the Baby Eating Monster that lives in the lake.

#19 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:29 PM

I get a kick out of the Miller Lite commercials that boast about its award for "Best in Class" somewhere. Everything's won something.

My stupid facebutt page.

#20 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 01:02 AM

Polish Apsinthion boasts to have won best in class at the International Wine and Spirits competition some year. If that tells you anything.

Tells a lot, after seeing the medal labelled on the bot, many people got more suspicious than when it was first introduced. Now, the sales have dropped dramatically, although it doesn't sell well.

That Aussie one seems to be fitting the Apsinthion/Hapsburg line.
Surviving the attacks of mentally-deficient creatures of the dark and carrying on (since 1999).

[Ironically, 1999 is the year the Dunning-Kruger effect was first advanced. - Admin]=

#21 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,253 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:54 AM

I get a kick out of the Miller Lite commercials that boast about its award for "Best in Class" somewhere. Everything's won something.

"Best lite beer" would carry more weight if it won a "World Oxymoron Olympics" award.

#22 Poor

Poor

Fancy Boy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:10 AM

Perhaps the "Most Frequent Urination" award?

No, that would probably go to ephedra wine. Wait... I just got an idea.
"Babies belong in this lake, go ahead, throw him in!" said the Baby Eating Monster that lives in the lake.

#23 Stroller

Stroller

Really Advanced Member

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:25 AM

It looks like the stuff they put in glow sticks.

#24 Tim

Tim

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:15 AM

Do not mention the bouquet of an Aboriginal's armpit
Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast.

http://www.myspace.com/absintheurs

#25 TheScrin

TheScrin

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 04:53 PM

Hopefully the bottle arrives today and I will post pics of the bottle, the colour, the louche(if there is one), etc. I will also post an overall review. I'm hoping it is not going to be dissapointing.

#26 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:02 PM

:cheers:

I sincerely hope it's good. But their presentation doesn't make the mouth water.

My stupid facebutt page.

#27 Absinthe Drinker

Absinthe Drinker

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:07 PM

I think it's worse than 'Peckham Spring Water' from Only Fools and Horses!

But I should be tasting it before I make such a sweeping statement. It does look like that La'Fee Parisian Absinthe I had though.

Edited by Absinthe Drinker, 18 October 2007 - 02:07 PM.

#28 TheScrin

TheScrin

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:16 PM

Ok, i finally received the bottle of 'Moulin Rooz' today and below are the pictures of the bottle, the absinthe, the louche, and the finished drink. Also, a short review on what i thought of the drink.

The bottle:
Posted Image

Quite a nicely presented bottle although the front label could look a little more professional, but let's not judge a book by it's cover.

The back label reads:

Moulin Rooz
Absinthe
Moulin Rooz is Australia's first premium Absinthe. Five times-distilled from the finest Australian grapes, with perfect balance of Elderflower, Gentian, Fennelseed, Hyssop and Wormwood(thujone), Moulin Rooz is further enhanced with Austraian Native Aniseed Myrtle and other selected botanicals. A perfect expression of bitter and aromatic herbs, with hints of the Australian Bush. (Natural herbal particles may be present)

You can see tiny herbal particles floating throughout the bottle, but nothing like the KOSG shit.

On first open of the bottle there is a very floral smell along with aniseed and other aromas you would expect with most absinthes. There are also other aromas which i can't quite put my finger on, but this absinthe does smell quite nice.

The absinthe:
Posted Image

A dark/bright emerald green, if that makes any sense. It is obviously artificially but does not look that bad.

The louche:
Posted Image

Obviously as I stated above, the colour looks very artificial but the louche does come along nicely and you can definitely start to smell the 'hints of the australian bush' as described on the label.

The finished drink:
Posted Image

A nice "just right" type of louche but the green is too prominent. Anyway, on to how it tastes.

This definitely tastes like a decent absinthe, although a different kind of absinthe. The australian herbs and botanicals really give this absinthe a nice overall aroma and taste which is not present in any other absinthe i have tried.
There is quite a bitterness to this absinthe though, but that is balanced with the other herbs almost perfectly. The bitterness comes more as a slight aftertaste.

Overall, i think this may be an absinthe that I will order again. I really like the packaging, i love the aroma, and the taste is very nice and unique and it does not try to be a clone of any other absinthe on the market.

I would recommend this absinthe to anyone who would like to try something different and unique.

#29 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,903 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:20 PM

Stick it on the review page. If you need me to, I can add the category for you. :cheers:
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#30 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:48 PM

There is quite a bitterness to this absinthe though, but that is balanced with the other herbs almost perfectly. The bitterness comes more as a slight aftertaste.

The way you're describing the bitterness brings thoughts of Angelique to mind. I sure hope there isn't macerated A.a. in it. For a lot of people that was enough to ruin an otherwise tasty absinthe. For me it was enough to ruin an absinthe that tastes like toothpaste anyway. But I digress.

The louche looks just like Tabu.

Sounds weird. I'd love to try it but I'm scared to buy it.

My stupid facebutt page.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association