dantodd

St. George Absinthe

I just got back from St. George Spirits, they're just across the bay from my home.

They told me that they are on the 5th iteration of their label submission. Expect a release very soon.

It will be a verte, high proof (no exact number but over 55 abv), 750ml and "around" $70.

I commented that they are going to be one of the first on the west coast and they mentioned Lucid and that they are not going to make an absinthe adjusted for American tastes. They suggested that their absinthe would be much more traditional style. They also said that they would really like to do blanche in the future.

They are planning on having a launch party and they will be sending an announcement out on their newsletter. You can sign up for the newsletter at www.stgeorgespirits.com

This was all from the "guy behind the counter" and not the distiller. It's a very small place and he seemed quite knowledgable.

I'm sure I'll post here and try to get a meet-up going at the launch once it's announced.

Interesting. I didn't see any mention of absinthe on the website. If you find your way in their neighborhood again, try to hook them up to WS. It'd be cool to get their take on the process of going legit and the production process, too.

I didn't see any mention of absinthe on the website

You're quick T! :wave2:

However, it is good news! Bring it on!!

Thanks, dantodd!

they mentioned Lucid and that they are not going to make an absinthe adjusted for American tastes. They suggested that their absinthe would be much more traditional style.

I think Viridian/Ted shot themselves in the foot with that comment. Lucid may be on the "light" side but it it's traditional, if different; so is what I tasted of St. Georgesinthe.

Well, "adjusted for American tastes" wasn't their exact words but they did strongly imply that they were shooting to, how should I say it.... make a different product than Lucid. :cheers:

I did mention wormwood society, while the person I was speaking to hadn't heard of us I'm sure the distiller must know about the boards, it would be hard to do any research and not bump into the many absinthe forums. I did ask about getting approval. The person I was speaking to said there was no more difficulty getting the spirit approved than others they've done; just that the labeling was being a bear. I've never tried to bring a spirit to market so I don't know the whole process but he implied that the wormwood wasn't a problem at all for the feds. I suspect the label troubles are with the word absinthe, but that's only a guess from what I've read here and other boards.

Apparently they are trying to source all of their herbs organically and that is part of their market differentiation.

I'll make it a point to stop in during the week and see if I can track down Jorg or one of the other distillers.

Hiram, it was one of your comments in another thread about having tasted a pre-production version that got me to actually stop by. (well, that and having to take my wife to Oakland Airport, right around the corner) When you say "so is what I tasted of St. Georgesinthe" were you suggesting it is traditional or light?

Kinda surprised you can't get their vodka up there. It's pretty popular around here. Hanger One.

I like their Eau de Vie.

Quite good, but room for improvement.

True of every absinthe, I'd say, but that's good that you've tried the final version. St. George has alot going for them, and there's no doubt that whatever is released will see improvement - they've got know-how; industry connections; quality peerage in the form of the Germain-Robin outfit; experience; a willingness to learn of their own accord (but I'm sure the McKennie translation didn't hurt); and a very practical perspective of absinthe. More important than this, I guess, is that when one considers the success of Hangar One, he can be assured that the wherewithal for positive progress is assured… perhaps into the next decade… when the real fun starts.

I like their kirschenwasser.

Is St. George/Hangar One using Grain Neutral Spirits for their base, or something more interesting?

Dammit, I need to get across the bay and visit, one of these days...All the cool kids have already tried it!

~Erik

Call first.

Mistinguette (FV screen name) was working a job on Alameda the other day, and I told her she should stop by Hangar 1. She's been on tours of the Pernot distillery, Bugnon's and Matter-Luginbühl, and knows about as much about absinthe as anyone can who doesn't cook, and she's even massively hot. But they still wouldn't let her in the door.

Is St. George/Hangar One using Grain Neutral Spirits for their base, or something more interesting?

An in-house esprit-de-vin.

Erik,

Let me know when you want to go. I'd be happy to go again. I sure wish they'd get approval for the label already!

Hmmm, hadn't thought about them. I actually had a good conversation with one of the head 'tenders at the brewhouse in Portland regarding absinthe a couple of months ago. Pre Lucid though (I think).