• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#61 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:05 PM

That's horrible Brooks. I hope things work out for her, but I understand if they don't.

"Good is the only investment that never fails." Thoreau.
"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Distiller and Proprietor, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. DSP-NY-15019. www.delawarephoenix.com

#62 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:45 PM

No one who lives here would blame her for packing up and moving on, Dakini, but would be a huge loss. Her amazing little store is one of a kind.

#63 Rimbaud

Rimbaud

• PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 01:14 PM

Are you in BKLYN now, Brooks?
Internet Tough Guy

#64 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:23 PM

Washington Heights. You still in Queens?

I went to Red Hook for the first time a couple of months ago, and again three weeks ago. The old neighborhood had a quiet, isolated feel that I loved. I sat for hours on the rocks looking out over the harbor, and it was like being on vacation from the city.

Last week, the new IKEA threw open its doors, making Red Hook's quiet isolation a thing of the past. Now it's bumper-to-bumper traffic and horns a-honkin'! Ikea ferries chugging to and from Manhattan! Yuppie moms and their hellish tots a-shoppin'! This poor, working class neighborhood hasn't got a dog's chance in hell. A couple of years from now, the current residents will have been forced out, and all the waterfront blocks will be luxury condos.

Nothing about the "bad old" '70s and '80s scared me half so much as the heartless gentrification of the last ten years. It's bad, bad news.

#65 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:40 PM

Ikea as the harbinger of luxury condos? I've got a friend, an artist if you can dig that, who managed to scrape up enough for a brownstown in Redhook. Wonder what he thinks now.

#66 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:25 AM

Your friend owns his brownstone? Developers probably won't bother him. And if they want the land, they'll have to offer him a mega wad.

The people who will get screwed are renters and poor people. For a change.

#67 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:29 AM

He's a printer. He worked on a pretty high-end press that had some major A class fine artists as clients. Had some valuable printer's proofs. Down side is his wife contributed some serious insurance money that she had from an accident. Well, not so bad, really, the accident was long before he met her and they're about the coolest couple I know. I'm just curious what's up with the 'hood.

#68 Rimbaud

Rimbaud

• PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 08:08 AM

Washington Heights. You still in Queens?

Yep, same apartment. We'll stay 2 more years until Lindsey is finished with her Masters and then we'll look to move, maybe buy (might be a pipe dream, though).
Internet Tough Guy

#69 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,549 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 08:09 AM

Nothing about the "bad old" '70s and '80s scared me half so much as the heartless gentrification of the last ten years.

Ain't it the truth!

When Tish and I first got together, I hadn't been in NYC for almost 18 years, and I barely recognized a few neighborhoods.

Damn gentrification is ubiquitous, too.

Even here in East Bumfuck, an entire block of antique shops recently went out of business to make way for condos (at from $750,000- 1,250,000 a pop) to house rich Californicatin' retirees. :thumbdown:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#70 Rimbaud

Rimbaud

• PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:07 AM

Lemmy was right. Eat the rich.
Internet Tough Guy

#71 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,549 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:33 AM

I think he was actually referring to the rich surprise inside his "bacon torpedo", but I guess double entendres weren't beyond him. B)

#72 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:13 AM

When were you last here, Abs? 'Cuz I'm telling you, every day brings some fresh new hell.

Every day, skyrocketing rents force another handful of old-fashioned, quirky stores and restaurants out of existence. Every day, more people are forced out of neighborhoods they can no longer afford. In every borough, 150-year-old buildings are being razed to make way for 35-story glass-and-steel "luxury" towers. The pace and ruthlessness of it is stunning. What it says about who we've become is sad.

Dozens of blogs are sounding the alarum for NYC. As a former resident, you might be interested in this one, although I warn you: it's a grim read.

The whole country is out of whack, and NYC is manifesting this systemic imbalance in a very stark way.

We certainly have veered off-topic here. Back to Creme de Violette!

#73 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• 2,019 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:47 PM

Fair enough, Brooks...
Just had my first Aviation at Bourbon & Branch, and while I loved it, they don't use Crème de Violette, and thus the drink isn't the blue color it should be. So this thread now has me in search of CdV and Aviation Gin. Lenell's online store doesn't have it. Did you guys get it by calling the shop in NY? The gin I can get through Bevmo.
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#74 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:41 AM

I get my Rothman and Winter CdV through DrinkUp NY.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#75 ejellest

ejellest

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 05:58 AM

Fair enough, Brooks...
Just had my first Aviation at Bourbon & Branch, and while I loved it, they don't use Crème de Violette, and thus the drink isn't the blue color it should be. So this thread now has me in search of CdV and Aviation Gin. Lenell's online store doesn't have it. Did you guys get it by calling the shop in NY? The gin I can get through Bevmo.

The R&W CdV is available in CA. BevMo doesn't usually carry the Alpenz/R&W stuff, but most of the upscale liquor stores in SF do. Plump Jack, K&L, John Walker, Blackwell's, etc. Call around, unless you've got some other stuff to order from DrinkUpNy. Though, it's always possible you may save enough purchasing through DrinkUpNY, instead of local upscale liquor stores, to make the shipping worthwhile.

~Erik
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, San Francisco, CA, USA

#76 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:01 AM

You could pick up a bottle of Mythe to go along with it. Try to get that free shipping. ;)
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#77 bksmithey

bksmithey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:57 AM

I picked up both the R&W CdV and the Aviation gin from Blackwell's. Shipping for 3 bottles (2 CdV, 1 gin) was fast and surprisingly inexpensive from CA to CO.

#78 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,549 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:42 AM

When were you last here, Abs?

2001, and from the sound of your pitiful description, I won't be dropping by again anytime soon. :thumbdown:

#79 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• 2,019 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:22 PM

The R&W CdV is available in CA....Plump Jack

Between that and the possibilty of finding the Ponsec there, it sounds like I need to check out Plump Jack immediately.

Thanks again, Erik
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#80 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• 2,019 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:29 PM

It's been a productive afternoon. Thanks for all the replies!
Posted Image

#81 ejellest

ejellest

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:06 PM

It's been a productive afternoon. Thanks for all the replies!
Posted Image

Now if you can figure some way to compose Violet liqueur, fernet branca, la favorite blanc, 10 Cane, and what is that in the background? Looks like Benedictine.

I'm pretty sure there will be a Nobel prize in it for you...
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, San Francisco, CA, USA

#82 eas

eas

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:00 PM

Off topic, but that Aviation gin in the picture above makes the best Corpse Reviver #2 I've had yet - and that's an absinthe rinse drink so 'tis the right forum to give props. And I had it with that gin at Absinthe in San Francisco, and Jonny and Jeff are no shrinking lillies on the drinks. Still one of my favorite lunch locales.

Back to CdV, not far away in SF, the amazing Brooke Arthur - survivor of a nasty fire a few months back - is back behind the stick at Range and during season was offering this:

Blue Bell

8-10 blueberries
.5 oz creme de violette
half lemon
.25 oz of simple syrup
2 dash angostura bitters
2 oz. Buffalo Trace

muddle berries with ss, add all other ingredients, shake hard, fine strain into a cocktail glass.
Garnish with a lemon peel

yum

#83 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:28 PM

Oh boy, I can feel the temptation rise within me. I know I would love the CdV. I wonder how long it will take me to pull the trigger on an order.

Bump. Just got some today. Now to figure out what to make with it. I'm thinking of trying it in some sparkling water, with a dash or three of either orange or lemon bitters, just to get a feel for what I'm dealing with.
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#84 Rhonda Weins

Rhonda Weins

• PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:21 PM

What to make with it?

An Aviation

2 oz Plymouth gin
1/2 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz maraschino liquer
1/4 oz CdV

Garnish with your own brandied cherry

#85 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• 2,019 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:57 PM

Gary Regan, author of, among other things, "The Joy of Mixology", wrote up his take on the Aviation using CdV, but with slightly different proportions, and it works great for me:

When I first got my hands on a bottle of creme de violette, I made myself an Aviation using three parts gin, and one part each of the liqueurs and the lemon juice. It worked very well, and the color - oh, the color. It's nothing short of glorious. To behold a cocktail that's almost gray, but tinged with the barest hint of violet, is as glorious as witnessing a September sunrise in Maine. Bring it to the lips and sip, don't gulp. This is truly one of the nectars of the gods. Stands head and torso above the Aviation sans violette.

He also goes on to describe his own variation which is fantastic:
The Moonlight Cocktail
Makes 1 drink

* 1 1/2 ounces gin (Beefeater, Plymouth or Tanqueray)
* 1/2 ounce Cointreau
* 1/2 ounce creme de violette
* 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice

Instructions: Fill a cocktail shaker two-thirds full of ice and add all of the ingredients.
Shake for approximately 15 seconds, and strain into a chilled Champagne flute.

It's worth reading the whole piece: Aviation & Moonlight

#86 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:14 PM

Much thanks for the suggestions. I also found it very nice at a ratio of about 1 oz to 6 oz of sparkling water as a nice spritzer and in a G-n-T made with G'vigne gin, Fever Tree tonic, and 4 dashes of Fee Bros West Indian Orange Bitters. This is one sublime gin and tonic, ladies and gents. :cheers:
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#87 Wren

Wren

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

Dug up this corpse of a thread to inquire about thoughts on any new offerings.
"Understanding is joyous." --Carl Sagan

#88 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:48 AM

My favorite violette, hands-down, is Emile Pernot's. FPB introduced me to it a couple of years ago and it blows R&W out of the water.

Tempus Fugit's Liqueur de Violette is tasty too, though I'm not sold on the color. It's closer to the tint of Creme Yvette (which is also delicious, by the way) than all of the other violette-style liqueurs I've mixed with.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" -- Charlie Chaplin

#89 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

When choosing a new booze, I always will go for the ones who produce good absinthe!
:thumbup:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association