existension

cladestine la bleue

Hello there fellow absente minded freaks and geeks, I am here posting a review that has probably already been done innumerable times, but, I do feel it is necessary. I decided to drink before I posted just to reaffirm my sentiments for such a fine drink. I have to say I haven't tried all absinthes but I don't really feel the need to after drinking Clandestine La Bleue. I found out early on I like absinthe because of the warm and romantic feeling I get when under its influence and because of the sophisticated culture surrounding it.

I found out from trying Duplais blanche that I prefer blanches over vertes. So that is probably one of the more important determinant factors when finding YOUR personal drink, as all things usually are, this is subjective. I must admit to being lured in by Sebor's fraudulent ads. I think it was mainly because they said it had high thujone levels and because it was Johnny Depp's favorite (I love him). I was so disappointed when the package arrived and I finally tried it. It tasted horrible and wasn't drinkable at all! I was bummed out because I tried pot and hated it, I tried regular alcohol and hated the hangovers and the sedating effect it gave me. I felt like there was no way I could escape the 9 to 5 life and relax.

Luckily, I didn't give up hope. I was told by a friend that I knew that Sebor's absinthe was shit and was a marketing ploy that relied on consumer ignorance. The first time I tried absinthe it was HG (if you can call it that) and I was living in Florida. I liked it and not because of the taste (it was very bitter). I moved about a year later and was still thinking of that special fairy, Anyways, here is my humble opinion/review...I hope you enjoy.

From opening the bottle you smell the nice balance of herbs rather than alcohol (since it is 55%). Some say it's an anise bomb... yet I like the flavor and I HATE black licorice. It smells very sweet and taste the same. After a few sips my lips have a honey taste. I am not sure why or what is responisble as I am still in my nascent stages of learning the art of absinthe.

The louche is fun to watch especially since I use a brouillier system and I let the water drip really slowly. It shows instantly white at the bottom then just forms like wavy lightning bolts all through the drink. Part of the fun of absinthe from what I have found is the louch itself. I take my time with the louche; the presentation/ritual is almost as important as drinking it in a very odd way (I bet beer drinkers think we are weird).

I don't have the best nose really so all I can say is that it smells more like a candy than alcoholic beverage to me and that it is very inviting. I have tried the following Eichellberger limitee (good), Duplais Blanche (good), Sebor(shit), Duplais verte(ok), Duplais Balance(ok), and Mansinthe(his music is okay and his 'mansinthe' is well... barely ok to me). I am not really a fan of any of them overall except for CLB. From now on I am going to order blanches but I don't see myself ordering anything different anytime soon. I usually bonus at my job, so right now I am making consistent order at LDF for the three for two...what a deal! I am saving two and drinking one. A bottle will last me for 1 1/2 mo's so I think I'll be good for a while.

If this product ever stops I will cry. When my last gf left me I didn't really tear at all, but, I am already lamenting the day this product is no longer in production ( I even e -mailed them this statement and it is true).

I hope this was an ok review for a drink it was my first time and I am kind of 'tight' at the moment.

Edited by existension

If this product ever stops I will cry.

That would be my feeling, too.

I hope this was an ok review for a drink it was my first time and I am kind of 'tight' at the moment.

What Shabba said. :cheers:

If this product ever stops I will cry. When my last gf left me I didn't really tear at all, but, I am already lamenting the day this product is no longer in production.
I don't think you will be crying in the foreseeable future.

Now that you've discovered decent absinthe, there are many other brands you might enjoy so don't get stuck. One of the great things about absinthes is the variety. If you like CLB you might also like the LaP'tite blanche and as long as you like it sweet, you might try some of the Jade PF-01. Congratulations on your discovery and may you enjoy many more. :cheers:

That link didn't work Shabba. And, Alan, I believe I read previous threads where you stated people should chew on leaves/plant so you can recognize the fragrance and taste of the herbs used in absinthe. Would you reccomend that more than buying the little bottles that Matter sells on absinthe.de? They both essentially have the same purpose, I am just not sure which would be a better route and you seem to really have a profound knowledge on absinthe. Thanks!!!

I guess I will order a bottle of LaPtite and Kübler just to develop a palate, thanks guys!!!

Sorry about that. Just click on the link on the top left of this forum that says 'Go to the WS website'

Along the left hand site of the main site is a link for authentic absinthe reviews. Find Clandestine, and add a review.

Thanks!

Would you reccomend that more than buying the little bottles that Matter sells on absinthe.de?

I'm quite sure they're good and all, but I think you'd be better off spending that kind of money on bottles of real absinthe and with the spare change look into dried herbs. Don't rush yourself into the poorhouse, that'll come without any extra effort.

I was hesitant to even post a review because I am still new to absinthe, well, real absinthe anyway and I have a horrible sense of smell. I think it is because I grew up with both my parents being cigarette smokers. Not to trash cigarette smokers here or anything...

Though, I am wondering if I should do my reviews more like on feeverte.net...I didn't talk about the color of CLB before and after louche as well as mouth feel...which after looking back on it, I should have!!!

I welcome all criticism...so just tell me what I should do better. I want to be knowledgable in absinthe and all of its practices.

THANK YOU!!

Alan, I believe I read previous threads where you stated people should chew on leaves/plant so you can recognize the fragrance and taste of the herbs used in absinthe. Would you reccomend that more than buying the little bottles that Matter sells on absinthe.de? They both essentially have the same purpose, I am just not sure which would be a better route and you seem to really have a profound knowledge on absinthe.
Thanks for the compliment, but there are many people here who are more qualified to answer that question from a technical viewpoint. I don't recollect recommending "chewing" (especially not Aa), but both options seem valid to me. For information, in other drinks companies, I have used both the raw materials (e.g. barley for whisky) and the distilled components (the single malts used to make a blended whisky) in consumer and bar staff training, and both are valid.

(I bet beer drinkers think we are weird).

I will assume that you simply don't know many people who appreciate beer and not that you are actually disparaging the whole lot of us.

I know for the most part that my friends who drink beer, when they see me pour absinthe and use my brouilleur, kind of laugh and think it's odd. I can't offend you, you chose to be offended. I never said anything about you or people on this board that is disparaging. Why don't you lighten up? Life is a lot easier that way. I'm not trying to have an internet message board quarrel here, after all, this is just alcoholic beverages we're talking about. I like to get a long with everyone and I hate having enemies, there really is no need for it. But, I guess I will apologize to anyone who is offended at the statement about how 'beer drinkers' might think that absintheurs are odd for watching their drink louche before they sip and enjoy it are odd...

Now people, let's just enjoy life and have fun, okay?

Now, go crazy!!!!! :yahoo: :thumbup:

and have a round of absinthe w/ your friends :cheers:

and sing pirate songs like you're Tom Waits :pirate:

Edited by existension

I know I was trying to be humorous and I don't think dantodd was being insulting, just pointing out that there are a lot of beer snobs here, too. Nuttin' more.

:cheers:

I know for the most part that my friends who drink beer, when they see me pour absinthe and use my brouilleur, kind of laugh and think it's odd.

The uninitiated who drop by my place are usually just as surprised that I have specific glassware for different types of beers (and in a few cases I have specific glasses for specific beers) as they are that I put a lot of effort into preparing my absinthe.

Why don't you lighten up?

Uh... OK.

Sorry if pointing out that many beer drinkers are not as you portrayed them bothered you. By your response I suppose I hit a little close to home. Wasn't my intention.

All this excitement while I was looking for a nice beer/nihilism graphic on google to respond to T...

BTW welcome to the boards.

The uninitiated who drop by my place are usually just as surprised that I have specific glassware for different types of beers (and in a few cases I have specific glasses for specific beers) as they are that I put a lot of effort into preparing my absinthe.

hehe... well, I guess having 2 different regulators in my kegging system so that I can have lightly carbonated British bitters and nice well carbbed American Pales Ales and different faucets just for my stouts MIGHT be considered excessive by some... :cheers:

edit: see, I had to respond to existension first so I wouldn't get called out for quoting the message above mine. See old dogs can learn new tricks...

Edited by dantodd

Oh, just wait until I have a larger place with a dedicated drink area so that I can have cool shit like that.

It's not excessive at all.

If I PM my wife's cell phone number to you could you please tell her that.

While you're on the phone can you let her know that Absinthe is a good use of household funds too. Especially so when you don't have to pay shipping!

EDIT: Oh yeah, something on topic. Thanks for the excellent review existension. I have some la bleue coming soon and it's good to read others' opinions.

Edited by dantodd

I only have 12 out of the 16 kegs I have full of beer. I'm not THAT much of a beer snob. Of the other four, two are full of mead and two are full of sanitizer.

Clandestine is mighty fine, even though I'm partial to the vertes, but I've said that before once or twice. I have many friends who are exclusively into beer and some that aren't so exclusive. All of them are interested in absinthe when I mention it to them and none of them have seen me prepare a dose. Another one has tried several of the absinthes that Dan and I have acquired over the last several months and likes most of them. Although I'm not certain which is his favorite...I'll have to ask the next time I see him.

I thought my review wasn't very clinical. I don't think I tapped into the specifics really. I did learn though from responses that I should still try new absinthes. In Nov, I plan on placing a new order. SInce I am saving money for my Oct order of Kübler I figure I will get some Jades going. I am planning on the PFO1 and the Edouard. But, I can't really imagine liking them, I have tried decent vertes and haven't enjoyed them as much as blanches, but, I do welcome a suprise. I hope Jade really suprises me.

But thanks for the compliment DANSTOLD...

Edited by existension

I'll be really interested to hear your thoughts on the Edouard as we are both new to absinthe and that one is on my order along with the Clandestine

I tried regular alcohol and hated the hangovers and the sedating effect it gave me. I felt like there was no way I could escape the 9 to 5 life and relax.

I empathize with this. I am having a hard time drinking generally and so really appreciate good absinthe even more than previous years.

With regard to tasting the various herbs, if you can find A. absinthium in bloom (unfortunately we're well past the season, in the northern hemisphere), smelling the flowers and leaves together will be far more instructive than chewing on it.

Clandestine la bleue is also my favorite of all the ones that I have tasted.

My second favorite is Versinthe la blanche.

As an avid wine drinker I love to talk about the "terroir" of a wine.

And it maybe me but I taste a hint of lavander in the Versinthe, and it could possibly be wishful thinking but it is

macerated and the produced in Provence :) ... But Clandestine la bleue is my current favorite.

I hate to hammer a cliche home but the "aroma of Swiss mountain herbs" really does accurately portray the flavor.

As you might be able to tell, I am a anise/licorice lover so the more bitter absinthes without the anise really don't do it for me.

I am thrilled that the US has finally decriminalized this particular nectar of the gods. And I look forward to not having to pay courier fees to get my few yearly bottles. But I can't find the Clandestine yet being available in the States. I hope to soon!!!

I am looking forward to chatting to all of your about this wonderful drink. And I thank Hiram for approving my ability to now post to all of you.

Since there is not an introductions section (:wave2:) I will recount my first taste.

It was a homemade absinthe tasted on a rooftop in Boston on July 4th sometime in the mid 80s. Then I had an imported bottle that someone had brought back from Japan as well.

I went without for many years until I found an absinthe lover in Boston. And until he moved away, we'd have tasting parties.

As we both were anise people, we tended to concentrate on the more "sweet" varieties. But we did try some of the high thujone and the more bitter ones. Like an idiot I failed to write most of them down. But my friend and I did many orders from a company in Denmark called Absinth24.net. And I like them very much. They aren't listed among your recommended vendors so I want to bring this company to your attention as being a good online vendor.

So, hello to everyone, my name is Allison and I live in Rhode Island, USA.

I try my best to turn as many of my friends onto absinthe as I can.

The fact that it is now legal will make it much easier to be generous.

I also had a question for all of you who like Clandestine ... I have not yet tasted Kulber. How would it compare to someone who very much prefers this and the versinthe?

Best regards and savor your drinks ...

~Allison

Edited by Hiram

Since there is not an introductions section

There is one where you could introduce yourself Allison.

The font you're using is almost unreadable btw.