Sign in to follow this  
Auguru

Californication

I watched this week's episode of Showtime's new series "Californication" with David Duchovny and what do you know: absinthe plays a minor role and is mentioned in the episode title.

Episode 6 of Californication

I tried to make out the label on the bottle, but it is too indistinct (or at least I don't recognize the label from anything I've seen before). Sadly, it appears the characters are drinking the absinthe straight from the bottle. No louche. Pale green liquid in absinthe glasses. They show a spoon and what appears to be a bowl of sugar, but thank ghod, nothing was set on fire...

Too bad they didn't work something real into the episode. With the recent release of Lucid, this would have been a nice opportunity for a product placement...

Yeah, Silent was telling me about that. He said one of the major characters poured a full glass of green crap, never pretending to louche it. He said the actor didn't drink it either.

My mother-in-law (deceased) said she drank absinthe once in NY -- probably in the 20's or early 30's. She asked for it on the rocks and claims not to remember a thing until she woke up in a friend's bed the next morning.

I actually really like this show, but haven't seen this episode yet. I have the tv autotuned to see it tonight. I was looking forward to seeing it, based off of the episode title, but now I'm just disappointed.

My mother-in-law (deceased) said she drank absinthe once in NY -- probably in the 20's or early 30's. She asked for it on the rocks and claims not to remember a thing until she woke up in a friend's bed the next morning.

:laugh:

Friends nearby brought their mom home for a weekend. A chance to get away from the retirement community for a while and visit with the daughter and son-in-law. My guess was she was in her 70's.

I was there for a visit. Absinthe came up (I think my friends mentioned my interest.) "Oh, yes, Hemingway drank that! I've always wanted to try it but never had the chance. There were places in the city (she was from NYC) where supposedly you could get it, but I never went there."

Of course, I happened to have some with me. :)

So glasses were obtained, and I processed to louche mom up her first absinthe. She was of course fascinated by the ritual, and after trying her first sip said "Now that's different. I've never had anything like that before." After her third sip she said "I think I'm drunk."