190 replies to this topic

#181 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:20 AM

However, I might add that just because someone has strong personal opinions, a fragile ego, or a need for attention, does not necessarily make them bereft of knowledge or strong observational skills.

That is why there are those that post the reviews and those that do not, despite pretending to know. (At least one guy comes to my mind, who is no longer here).

A review is a spur of a moment-what you think about the given absinthe right here and right now-hence, I have added the double review of Veuve Verte to show it more clearly.
Surviving the attacks of mentally-deficient creatures of the dark and carrying on (since 1999).

[Ironically, 1999 is the year the Dunning-Kruger effect was first advanced. - Admin]=

#182 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,360 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:40 AM

does not necessarily make them bereft of knowledge or strong observational skills.

True, but those qualities should also not by default give them the reputation of being an expert either.

Certainly not an implication I was trying to make.

A year ago, I posted this. I still wish it would happen.

I believe that the people who developed the system are all either experts in the spirits field or producers themselves (or both).

That is not what I was questioning. I was merely suggesting a more in-depth series of conversations.

I also would like to see an event where a couple-three of our experts would lead a blind tasting on several absinthes, ranging from nearly flawless to significantly flawed, with them making comments on their observations, and how they experience and detect what they are observing. Now there's an event I would like to attend.

I do those here in the DC area, but was also tinkering with the idea of doing a seminar like that at Tales next year, like Paul Pacult did with Scotch.

Well, that might just get me to Tales. And I hope Paul attends your event, since I've still not been able to see the value in his absinthe reviews. I believe I've only seen one where it is clearly evident that the absinthe was louched at all, even though his procedural explanation says otherwise.
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#183 pierreverte

pierreverte

Liquoristorian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:46 AM

Good luck with that -

It is what it is when anyone today can become a widely-read critic or even be seriously credited as being a journalist, just because they have a blog or a forum presence,

I hope that's not directed at me, but I understand what you mean.

No, it's not, I didn't know you were widely-read or taken seriously... ;)
Absinthe is always greener in the other glass.™

#184 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,806 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:42 PM

:laf:

I take myself more seriously than anyone else does. :tongue:
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#185 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:32 AM

Ok, I went through the registration process, to be told that I was using the wrong name/pw. shame, i wanted to add my confused observations.

BTW I smell and taste sugarcane in VC. It seems to come from one herb. Anyone know which herb smells and tastes like sugarcane? People are going to think I'm nuts smelling and tasting fresh sugarane in absinthe!

#186 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:42 AM

This is a reoccurring problem mentioned on the bug thread. I think Brian has been manually resetting everyone's password and then it should work, but he's your fella to contact.
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#187 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,806 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:02 PM

PM sent.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#188 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:25 PM

I popped my reviewing cherry!!! :mbanana: :cheers:

#189 meatbag21

meatbag21

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:04 PM

Just a quick note.

I'd like to again encourage everyone here to contribute to the online review section on the main site. It doesn't matter if you're new, just make sure you read the whole guide so that you understand the standards we're applying. Old timers should read it all as well. The little Posted Image guide is very handy as a reminder on how to rate certain criteria. We really need to get that thing filled up, gang. It's pretty weak.

In order to log in to the main site, you have to register there as well. I encourage everyone to do this anyway, since that's where the newsletter will be generated from in the future. Please use your same username.

Thanks!

I just created my account on that side so now I'll be able to review. I've so far only tried 3 absinthes...Lucid, the new Pernod, and Meadow of Love.

#190 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

Ok, I went to change aroma on the 1901 from 4.0 to 4.5, but the change was not saved. when I hit submit it reverts to 4.0. In the old verbiage I even wrote wishing there was 4.5.

#191 JoPatterson

JoPatterson

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:17 AM

I think the spam filter is glitching. I tried to register but the spam filter baffles me.

It says 19 minus 9 equals
I put in 10 - it says wrong try again
I write the equation - it says wrong try again
I write the equation plus the answer - it says wrong try again

Help

Jo

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association