• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#151 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:15 PM

Anyway, about the module : the only problem I found (which is part due to the smallness of the PC I use) was that I found the text box to show what you're writing in a really little character size. Don't know if anybody found that to, but that's my 2 cents!

If you're using Firefox on a PC, hold ctrl and hit + a few times to make things bigger. I'm not sure how it's done with other platforms and browsers, but it's likely similar. :cheers:
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

"I've an absinthe factory in my head" (jcbphd, 2009). [Liberties taken. -ed.]

#152 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:27 PM

I write all my reviews in "Word", and copy and paste to the review module. Two things... I can read it while I type, and I have a record of all my reviews.

BTW LDB, I liked that turn of phrase as well. :thumbup:
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#153 Le Diable Bleu

Le Diable Bleu

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:52 PM

I saw the previous entries on this topic (before my announcement) and since the admin seems to want the opinion of forumites, here's mine : the system, as it is, is good. Having half stars would help but I think many people give big importance to that because they misunderstand the Overall rating, which is not necessarily your personnal Overall rating but more a catch-all point that can be used to better reflect your opinion in the Overall (average) rating. An exemple is my review of Clandestine, where I gave a 5 to increase it's overall average and to reflect the fact that it's a nice brand, not because I give it a 5 star. Maybe a better explanation of the review categories would help, or just a change of name for this category of rating. Anyway, the half stars would be nice but if it's a lot of trouble, I don't think it's needed.

Edited by Le Diable Bleu, 10 August 2009 - 01:55 PM.

#154 Green Baron

Green Baron

Advanced Decomposition

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:45 PM

I can't remember if I gave my $.02 before everyone went to Tales- if I did I apologize-

-I'm in favor of a half star rating. That way, we have room to breath with what would effectively be a 10 point scale, but without compromising older reviews (they would simply be less "granular"). I would definitely go over my previous reviews to see the ratings needed half star adjustments for clarity.
This post has been edited over and over again by Green Baron

Chasing the green fairy in my triplane!

"A decorous absinthe will persuade your whisper away with its hooch essence..."

#155 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,811 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:58 PM

I seem to remember something about not being able to change the system in that way. If we did, we'd lose all of the current reviews. It might have been about the possibility of adding another review category though, I can't remember.

G, care to weigh in?
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#156 tayker

tayker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:18 AM

Not sure where to post this outside of this thread, so my apologies for any knickers that get twisted.

After browsing the reviews for approximately an hour, maybe less, I wish there was a letter bar/search box at the top of each review so I didn't have to either use the browser's back button, or click the reviews directory link.

I'm not sure if there's a module for this or not, but I wish there was a side-by-side comparison option for check box selected absinthes. Instead of going back and forth between pages I'd like to see 2 to 3 reviews to make easier decisions - I might buy one based on a flavor and not the score, and going back-and-forth can be tedious and time consuming.
When a person who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, they will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest.

#157 Le Diable Bleu

Le Diable Bleu

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:29 AM

You can alway look at the users average!..

#158 tayker

tayker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:06 AM

I do, but the issue is going between reviews - I'm a tab minimalist.
When a person who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, they will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest.

#159 Le Diable Bleu

Le Diable Bleu

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:59 PM

Is it me or all fakesinthe and simili-absinthe have been dropped out of the WS Review? Anyway, good idea! I think it's more simple that way, because there was always the question what to add or not (for exemple if Henri Bardouin is there, why not review other pastis) or how to compare beverage that have no similarities, which is hard, can be misleading for those searching for real absinthe and a bit hard on those product that are not so bad but look horrible because we can't rate them high as absinthe because they aren't.

#160 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 899 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:59 AM

While I understand the reasons for removing the reviews of pastis and faux absinthes, for my part I think keeping them would have provided a useful service for newcomers to absinthe who may not realize that products like Hills or King of Spirits are not what they purport to be.

As for fairness, any product which is labeled absinthe or which is meant to be an absinthe substitute should be evaluated using criteria for good absinthe. If the product doesn't measure up, that's the way it goes.

However, it seems the decision has been taken and WS is moving on to a new phase. I hope that those coming here who are new to absinthe will infer the reasons behind many well know brands not being listed.
Annihilating all that's made
To a green thought in a green shade.

#161 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,811 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:08 AM

I'm in agreement with Marlow. I worry that people will log in to the WS to look for products such as LTV, not find anything, then end up buying it. I'd prefer to keep as much information as possible, even though they aren't technically absinthes.

The argument has been made that a wine site wouldn't review Mad Dog 20/20. While that's true, most people already know about the quality of wines. And Price is typically indicative of quality. Both of those points are not the case with absinthe.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#162 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,676 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:34 AM

The argument has been made that a wine site wouldn't review Mad Dog 20/20.

Perhaps, but a beer site would never engage in such exclusionary behavior. For example, Ratebeer reviews every extant lite, and they even have a special Worst Beers in the World ghetto where the scores of those, and other brewed atrocities can be laughed at. B)

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#163 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:45 AM

I remember some discussion on including a separate page which talked about non-sinthes as a way to spell out the reasons why they aren't reviewed, and encourage people to read about those brands here in the forums.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#164 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:36 PM

What Marlow through Ron said. Until what actual absinthe is is common knowledge, and/or the TTB gets a proper definition on the books, I'm in favor of keeping the related products and the fauxcrap reviews up there.

If there was concern over legal stuff, haven't threats been made already, and they had no leg to stand on?
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

"I've an absinthe factory in my head" (jcbphd, 2009). [Liberties taken. -ed.]

#165 Emerald Fae Fancier

Emerald Fae Fancier

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:34 PM

Heya, I'd like to add a review for Mata Hari absinthe, but am unable to due to login difficulties.

I've been having log in difficulties as well. I'm not entirely sure what happened, I registered on the main site a couple days ago, I received my authentication email and clicked the link, but now every time I try to log in it tells me I'm using the wrong user name and/or password. I've double checked my original authentication email and have even gone so far as to request a new password, but still nothing is working. I'd very much like to add a review for the Leopold Bros. Is there anything else I should be doing that perhaps I haven't?

#166 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,307 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:36 PM

This happened to me as well, and Gwydion fixed it. Pm him! I believe there is a different pass for the forum and main site, and you can have them be the same if it is reset....

#167 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,811 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:57 PM

PMing you.

This is a known issue that sometimes pops up. All we need to do is reset your password once and you're set.

Also, I've noticed I won't be able to log in sometimes unless I check off the Remember Me button.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#168 Emerald Fae Fancier

Emerald Fae Fancier

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:27 AM

I'll keep that in mind, again thanks for the quick response! Yay, now I'll have something to do once I come home from work!

#169 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:40 AM

Brian, will you be adding sections for some absinthes that have not been reviewed yet?

In particular, I mean Sapphire, Veuve Verte, Fleur d'absinthe, Emile Coulin, and such, unless I am looking in the reviews section clumsily?
Surviving the attacks of mentally-deficient creatures of the dark and carrying on (since 1999).

[Ironically, 1999 is the year the Dunning-Kruger effect was first advanced. - Admin]=

#170 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,811 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:50 AM

As mentioned previously, if there are any brands that haven't been added yet, any reviewer can submit a new brand. It's difficult to keep up with all of them myself, so I don't mind the help. :)

As they are submitted, I'll approve them and make any edits needed.

I'm obviously going to keep adding what I can as well.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#171 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,811 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:59 AM

I do want to caution though, that the review section is not a political soapbox. I don't want people inflating or deflating reviews simply because of personal feelings about a certain brand/producer/law etc.

Also, please post the review according to the correct scoring criteria. Read the description of each ranking, and rank accordingly.

Thanks!

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#172 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:46 AM

I am adding them (Sapphire, Veuve verte, Emile Coulin) but without pics-they do not fit. I have added few other reviews I have overlooked from the archive as well.

Edited by Boggy, 23 December 2010 - 01:41 AM.

Surviving the attacks of mentally-deficient creatures of the dark and carrying on (since 1999).

[Ironically, 1999 is the year the Dunning-Kruger effect was first advanced. - Admin]=

#173 pierreverte

pierreverte

Liquoristorian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:09 AM

I do want to caution though, that the review section is not a political soapbox. I don't want people inflating or deflating reviews simply because of personal feelings about a certain brand/producer/law etc.

Good luck with that - the only way to achieve this goal is to have reviews done by those who are completely unassociated with the 'absinthe community' and then you will have reviews from those who have little, if any formal training or knowledge of absinthe.
It is what it is when anyone today can become a widely-read critic or even be seriously credited as being a journalist, just because they have a blog or a forum presence, especially those with strong personal opinions, fragile egos or a need for attention.
Absinthe is always greener in the other glass.™

#174 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,811 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:15 AM

Good luck with that -

Well, the beauty of our system is that it leaves little to chance when you're dealing with the ratings of 1-3. They aren't nearly as subjective as the 4 and 5 ratings. But I'm not worried about personal feelings affect whether a brand gets a 4 or 5. The most detrimental situation comes in when a brand should obviously be scored at least a 3 for something, but gets scored a 1 simply due to personal bias. Those reviews get flagged, and the reviewer gets a message from me with some pointers and a suggestion to follow the criteria more closely. If it's still obvious that the person just wants to bash a brand, the review will be removed.

We've had pretty good success with that, so thanks for the well wishes. ;)

It is what it is when anyone today can become a widely-read critic or even be seriously credited as being a journalist, just because they have a blog or a forum presence,

I hope that's not directed at me, but I understand what you mean.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#175 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,307 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:45 AM

I understand what Peter is saying, as absinthe has only been a passion for me for the last year. I have been very active since joining WS, but have been careful to ask questions, and try my best to do things correctly.

In any industry, the veterans, who are often the REASON things exist at all, have good cause to be protective of the thing they helped create. It must be frustrating when a newbie becomes an "authority" with no respect for protocol. I have realized that people might feel this way with my efforts, and have worked hard to be respectful, making it clear that this is a passion for me, and that I truly DO care about absinthe, its culture, history, and its industry. It is so easy when new, to make an accidental mis-step...
and we can be judged harshly in these cases, despite our good intentions.

It IS however, new people that carry things on, and to the next level. We just need to be sure we try to do it respectfully, and correctly. It is the veterans role to understand and guide us in these cases. It is very important to have such guidance and support, and NOT to feel judged. People walk away when this happens, and that can be a loss.

I am fairly new to this, and I make no claims otherwise. Please bear in mind that passionate new people learn when given a chance to do a review, or blog, etc...the details may not always be right, but most will eventually get there, and many will truly help spread the word in a good way. Without this process, there would little if no steady growth. New people spread the word, and need to be encouraged to do so, in ANY industry.

Newbies ARE encouraged, BTW to post reviews here on WS, as I was. Granted, I went a little crazy, but that's who I am! I found the process very helpful in learning the details, noticing the differences, and developing my sense for things. It also helped instill in me the deep respect I have for people like Peter and the others who earn a living at this, making absinthe what it is, and available. I do realize that what we see now is the result of years of hard work and fighting for what is right and deserved.

For me, the reviews were part of my evolution, and I doubt that I'd have the love and understanding I do now, had I not written so many. The process fired me up to try over 50 absinthes so far, many bottles that I've purchased. This is good for vendors and distillers. The beauty with a "crappy newbie review" is that we can go in and modify, correct, etc...as we grow. I know that I've found things in my reviews that were ignorant of certain elements...I have revisited more than once to amend these to make more sense, and follow the format better. I'm still learning, and still editing.

I was a feature columnist in several guitar magazines over the last 20 years, and remember well the bitching of the old guard when my first column came out! "Who IS this guy?" He's too new to be writing!" etc... over 2 decades later, in my 50s, I AM one of the old guard. I worked really hard to get here. I find myself seeing new people doing just what I did, and I have to stop myself from being judgmental or insecure, and remind myself that this IS the process. These ARE the old guard of tomorrow. Without this passionate self-expression, things would never grow. I find myself occasionally correcting, giving a little supportive smack here and there, but overall, I try to take myself out of the loop....Things have a way of working out.

Here's to a great 2011 for us all, and for absinthe all over world! Thanks to all of you who work so hard to provide us all with this wonderful spirit. I am certainly happy to have found you all.

-Scott

#176 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,811 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:11 AM

I try to take myself out of the loop....

Really? :tongue:

New people spread the word, and need to be encouraged to do so, in ANY industry.

Absolutely, but we also need to be mindful of the fact that many new people lack the knowledge to 'spread the word' properly. We've seen it happen before where they do more harm than good. While it's certainly good for the 'old guard' to be cognizant of the fact that we need new representatives to continue to grow (we went from one owner to an advisory board of close to a dozen and a content team of another several members over the past few years), it would also behoove the aspiring new proselytizer to recognize when to hold back and learn more before switching into 5th gear.

Sushi chefs learn by observation for years before they are even allowed to touch the rice. ;)

Mind you, when I'm talking about holding back and learning more, I'm not talking about posting reviews. Reviews are an absolutely wonderful way of learning more. I'm speaking more about doing public events, seminars, interviews, etc.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#177 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:53 AM

...especially those with strong personal opinions, fragile egos or a need for attention.

However, I might add that just because someone has strong personal opinions, a fragile ego, or a need for attention, does not necessarily make them bereft of knowledge or strong observational skills.

A year ago, I posted this. I still wish it would happen. I also would like to see an event where a couple-three of our experts would lead a blind tasting on several absinthes, ranging from nearly flawless to significantly flawed, with them making comments on their observations, and how they experience and detect what they are observing. Now there's an event I would like to attend.
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#178 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,307 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:57 AM

I agree Brian, that's why when I put together the Catskills event, I asked for help and advice from you and Gwydion, and asked so many questions before moving forward. I can see how much crazy mis-informed shit is going on out there, and it must drive you guys crazy. *and I never said I take myself out of the loop HERE, just in the guitar world, where I make a living. :tongue:

#179 Ryan Nikkel

Ryan Nikkel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:00 AM

I also would like to see an event where a couple-three of our experts would lead a blind tasting on several absinthes, ranging from nearly flawless to significantly flawed, with them making comments on their observations, and how they experience and detect what they are observing. Now there's an event I would like to attend.

As someone new to absinthe this is something I would be interested in attending.
"The thought manifests as the word; the word manifests as the deed; the deed develops into habit; and habit hardens into character. So watch the thought and its ways with care, and let it spring from love born out of concern for all beings." Buddha

#180 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,811 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:01 AM

does not necessarily make them bereft of knowledge or strong observational skills.

True, but those qualities should also not by default give them the reputation of being an expert either.

A year ago, I posted this. I still wish it would happen.

I believe that the people who developed the system are all either experts in the spirits field or producers themselves (or both).

I also would like to see an event where a couple-three of our experts would lead a blind tasting on several absinthes, ranging from nearly flawless to significantly flawed, with them making comments on their observations, and how they experience and detect what they are observing. Now there's an event I would like to attend.

I do those here in the DC area, but was also tinkering with the idea of doing a seminar like that at Tales next year, like Paul Pacult did with Scotch.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association