• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 GrayWolf

GrayWolf

The one that keeps disappearing

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:27 AM

Just trying to spread the love here, especially when it comes to the ever pleasant Kretek cigrattes. My favourite so far is the Djarum Black/clove/Kretek cigarette. (Djarum also carries a vanilla cigarette, which is very enjoyable as well.)

So, are there other people out there that like these Kretek goodies? other brands, or other nice flavours to share?
Alcohol may be the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.

#2 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:33 AM

Doyle and I love the Djarum cloves. They are murder on the lungs, but so damned tasty. :)
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#3 Wrayalien

Wrayalien

Gone Star Trekkin'

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:11 AM

B) Just RedBud
Don't listen to those who would water down ahhh burn up the true history of absinthe, rather research the facts to determine the significance of the Green Fairy. Those who can't do it themselves, get their kicks trying to undermine those who can.

#4 Ari (Eric Litton)

Ari (Eric Litton)

Meega, nala kweesta!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:32 AM

I like Djarum specials, as well as blacks.

They aren't murder on the lungs anymore than standard cigarettes and have less crap in them (although some of them, especially in indonesia have tons of tar).
"Oscar Wilde once traveled to an all-cat dimension and appeared on the Late-Late Show with Catman O'Brien."

#5 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:01 AM

Really? I read several warnings that said they (Djarums) can cause bleeding in the lungs. That's also why several states refuse to carry them.

I sure feel a lot worse the next day when I smoke em than when I smoke cigars or hookahs.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#6 Ari (Eric Litton)

Ari (Eric Litton)

Meega, nala kweesta!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:40 AM

So far there isn't any evidence of that. There is evidence if you are allergic to cloves are susceptible to pneumonia or have a respritory infection it's not a good idea to smoke them (it appears an infection is what set off an 80s anti-clove push). Clove oil reduces gag reflex and has a analgesic effect, so it's possible someone who already has bleeding in the lungs will appear to have more because they reduce the feeling and coughing the expel it.

Most of the current anti-clove lobby is big-tobacco using the government to fight its competition. A couple years ago Philip morris tried to push a bill banning any flavored cigarettes, claiming it was for the good of the children (despite evidence showing under-age smokers often start by smoking the cheapest and plainest brand) except for menthols (why? the bill didn't say). Of course at the time Morris's only flavored cigarette was menthol. They have since bought Sampoerna (a top clove producers) and oddly haven't been pushing their "for the children" bill.
"Oscar Wilde once traveled to an all-cat dimension and appeared on the Late-Late Show with Catman O'Brien."

#7 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:18 AM

Sweet! :cheers:

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#8 GrayWolf

GrayWolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:32 AM

yeah, but let´s be honest... would it have really stopped you from smoking them every now and then?

#9 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:35 AM

Not a chance. ;)

The propaganda never kept me from drinking my absinthe!

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#10 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 01:03 PM

I love cloves. All I can get around here is Djarum Black so I haven't ever had any others. I picked up a pack yesterday for the first time in many, many months and have been enjoying them.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#11 Fixedspiral

Fixedspiral

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 01:48 PM

I used to really like a brand called Sampoerna, but I can't find them anywhere anymore, and I haven't really been able to find out why.

#12 GrayWolf

GrayWolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:57 PM

Try this website Rather expensive, but it will allow you to get a couple of nice brands at the click of a button if you can´t seem to find them elsewhere.

If you can, try some Gudang Garam, Wismilak or Bentoel.

#13 Poor

Poor

Fancy Boy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 03:32 AM

I have smoked many a kretek. I appreciate you using the proper name. Asides from Djarum I have smokes three other brands, the name I do not know, as it was written in an odd sanscrit looking font. I can suggest maybe a gold looking package with said font, 15 cigarettes per pack, delish. I never coughed up blood, but the fwiggin saccharine they spread all over the filters makes my mouth rot for a week. I have the same effect after chewing a couple pieces of sugar free gum, so it may be a personal thing. Try to roll your own smoke with two or three actual cloves in it. Alot cheaper and you don't have to worry about any questionable additives. Few things are cooler that a black cigarette though.
"Babies belong in this lake, go ahead, throw him in!" said the Baby Eating Monster that lives in the lake.

#14 precurser

precurser

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 07:07 AM

I, like Fixedspiral, used to smoke Sampoerna cloves exclusively. After finding about them I completely did away with Djarums. They are so much better, they even make a menthol clove.

Now Sampoerna's are insanely hard to find. After asking quite a few people at places I purchased them from I was told that they could no longer sell them because of some regulations or something. I will probably do a little research on the net and see if I can find anything out. Apparently after Philip Morris acquired P.T. Sampoerna they decided to cease U.S. distribution because of a "limited market." Such a shame... I guess I can just buy them online though... http://www.smokeshop...06/merchant.htm

When I do smoke them now I stick with Djarum Supers. They are the only kind I can stand, while the Blacks are nice they give me headaches for some reason.

Edited by precurser, 10 September 2007 - 07:15 AM.

#15 Fixedspiral

Fixedspiral

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:02 AM

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Djarum also sells a menthol version.

I also found out that there is a MARLBORO KRETEK! Crazy! I saw a few packs on Ebay, but I can't justify 10 bucks for a pack of 12...

Anyone know of any legit sites that would have a larger selection beyond Djarums, maybe something that sells by the pack? (I don't know if that's profitable/legal...)

#16 sabrina

sabrina

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 06:36 AM

Just trying to spread the love here, especially when it comes to the ever pleasant Kretek cigrattes. My favourite so far is the Djarum Black/clove/Kretek cigarette. (Djarum also carries a vanilla cigarette, which is very enjoyable as well.)

So, are there other people out there that like these Kretek goodies? other brands, or other nice flavours to share?

Just ordered Djarum kretek..cherry. Salivating at the mere thought of them. Planning to try the vanilla next. Thanks for the info

sabrina :cheers:

#17 Alysoun

Alysoun

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:01 PM

Count me in as another fan of kretek cigarettes.

I have been smoking them on and off and sparingly for about 25 years now.

I prefer the Djarum special filtered.
That is my brand of choice, though I have tried most of the rest that I can buy here, these are the best for me.

I only have 1 a day, sometimes 2 but never more. Sometimes I go a few days or a week without.
And I smoke them for the taste (no, really, I do!!!). They taste best after an Indian meal or with a cup of cardamom spiced coffee.

~Allison

Edited by Alysoun, 07 March 2008 - 12:01 PM.

#18 Жан Renard

Жан Renard

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:01 AM

My personal brand used to be Jakarta either filtered or not, before the big tobacco settlement effectively banned them. The closest in flavor to those that I am currently able to find are Djarum Specials/Classics.

Edited by Zuane Renart, 25 May 2008 - 08:02 AM.

“When in doubt, absinthe yourself!”

#19 Stephen

Stephen

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:03 PM

I've been smoking Blacks for 5 years now and the only time I've ever coughed up blood was when I was sick with a chest infection.
"Absinthe makes the Heart grow fonder."

#20 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,894 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:21 PM

Probably not their new campaign slogan, I'm guessing. :laugh:

#21 Stephen

Stephen

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:15 PM

Probably not their new campaign slogan, I'm guessing. :laugh:

I could see it now, flipping through the pages of a magazine and seeing a picture of a man coughing up blood while holding a lit Black in his hand... "Djarum, Taste the Flavor" :twitchsmile:
"Absinthe makes the Heart grow fonder."

#22 ComdtJustin

ComdtJustin

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:34 PM

I love smoking kretek... I get mine typically from http://www.clovecigarettesstore.com. Shipped directly from Indonesia, made with very good tobacco, actually better than the ones you can buy in the states.

I've found they go quite good with Absinthe as well. :cheers:

#23 StevePrime

StevePrime

• PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:55 AM

I think they have anethole-related flavor compounds, so that makes sense. Blacks are the only cigarette I smoke (I smoke them like a cigar = no coughing of any kind) and it takes me about a year to smoke a pack... obviously not a daily habit for me but I do like the taste. Specials and Sampoernas aren't strongly enough flavored for how I choose to enjoy them.
"flaming absinthe cocktail was probably the classiest thing I've ever had."
-Overheard on Twitter

Twitter: StevePrime
Facebook: StevePrime

#24 Fixedspiral

Fixedspiral

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 12:49 AM

I recently heard something to the effect of clove cigarettes are going to be banned. I think the law states that cigarettes with "flavor additives" other than menthol aren't allowed. :3869-sadbanana:

#25 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:32 PM

Yeah. But Djarum is trying to work around it. I picked up a pack of their replacement product today, Djarum Black Clove Cigars. They're ever so slightly thicker and come 12 in a pack. The price is about 75 cents cheaper a box than the cigarettes.

I found a place today that has them and a number of other kretek brands that I haven't been able to get around here. I'm going to probably go on a minor shopping spree and buy a few of the things that won't be available anymore. The ban goes into effect in August I believe.

My stupid facebutt page.

#26 shademanthegreat

shademanthegreat

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:05 PM

I developed a habit of only smoking via the "french inhale." This works especially well with Kreteks because they are so aromatic. I prefer the Djarum Specials.
Money in and of itself does not produce liberty. - Fareed Zakaria

#27 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:19 PM

Well, the ban goes into effect on Tuesday. So I'll be buying them online. I don't mind, though, because they're cheaper online and because I can get all the brands I can't get here.

My stupid facebutt page.

#28 seeker of truth

seeker of truth

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:54 AM

My wife used to smoke Djarum Blacks. While the french inhale looks cool it does not work when there's a breeze & I always thought it was for show, like blowing rings.
I talk like a drunk man walks, in every which way but where he is headed.

#29 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 03:46 PM

I'm digging the Bali Hai right now. They were a bit too intense at first but I love their fruity flavour.

My stupid facebutt page.

#30 zombie

zombie

• PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:04 PM

whats this I hear (see) cloves are going to be banned, nooooooooo!!!!!! That's just insane. Laws are just getting insane, if I want to poisin my body no one has the right to tell me what I can and can not do it with. I'm going to have to go shopping a pick up a few packs.
Props For Buddha

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association