Sign in to follow this  
TAKEDA

New to absinthe and to this forum :)

Sorry i think i posted first in the general forum. Anyways i'm new to absinthe and bought 5 bottles to start out 1901 jade,Amer72 and sorry to say the rest is czech. Im working on my first glass of staroplzenecky's right now.... i hate it;I think this will be my last glass of it(doesn't louche and not even two sugars seem to get rid of the burned rubber after taste). I love 1901 and Amer72, taste perfect and clean and relax the hell out of you. What are some other good future choices?

Welcome, TAKEDA!

At least you have tried the bad with the good and should be on the right track now! :cheers:

Welcome!

Consider:

The other Jades

Clandestine(s)

Blanchette

Duplais Verte & Balance

Eichelberger(s)

Helfrich

Lucid

La Valote(s)

Kübler

La Ptite

Blanche and Verte de Fougerolles

Hmmm, what did I leave out? Oh well, that'll get you started! :cheers:

I really liked it, too...at first. I still like it but I think there are other vertes that are much better: more complex, better mouth feel, nicer louche, etc... Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't turn down a glass right now but it wouldn't be my first choice. ;)

What he said, the Amer is not bad but after having a dose of better products I came back to it and found it to be muddy in complexity and a bad type of bitterness. I would drink it again, but probably wouldn't buy it again.

It's one of the many that would have been much higher on my list a couple years ago, but so many things have come out that it's been over shadowed.

I'm curious which Amer 72 everyone means, if we all mean the same. There's the Libertine Amer 72, and the LeMercier Amer 72, both from the same town, but definitely not the same drink. The LeMercier, I've had. I'm assuming that's what everyone means, because the comments about it are in line with my own reaction to it. Good, not great.

The Libertine Amer 72 has a very bad reputation, so I've never tried it, but the Libertine Amer 68, which has a completely different recipe and production methodolgy, is well loved in France, but not well liked in other places. I'm about to try that one for the first time.

Hi. :cheers:

Lemercier Amer was the first absinthe I ever liked. But I don't anymore except for the nostalgia value. I could never taste wormwood in any absinthe until I could identify it, so I was almost done with a bottle before I discovered how nasty the wormwood in it is. It's because they add wormwood oil to boost the thujone content. Also it's not very complex and has no colouring herb flavour.

Good point, Wild Bill. I've sipped my way through 3/4 of a bottle of the Libertine 72 and I can't see why it's not more popular. Very good if not spectacular. If you don't beat me to it, I'll try to add it to the Reviews of the WS Website this evening.

If you like the Libertine, T, then I can only surmise that they must have done some major tweaking to the recipe since 2004. I really couldn't get through more than half a glass back then. I just found the sugary- sweet over bitter finish to be far too unpleasant, and lingering.

Any chance you're thinking about the 55% or 68%? I didn't detect any sweetening and I don't remember an overly bitter finish. Now, I'll certainly have to give it another taste tonight. :cheers:

You know, thinking about it, that was probably the 55%, since I think it was the first release, so I'm sure the 72% must be a tremendous improvement.

Lemercier Amer was also one of my firsts. I recently bought another bottle after having all the sugestions on T73's list. I concur that the sentimentality is there, but my tastes have since changed - I'm not sure I like it anymore. Now I'm drinking it to get rid of the bottle. I really Liked the Libertine 72 and would almost rank it not alongside but below VdF (don't kill me). Hi Takeda.