dantodd

Greetings from California

Howdy all!

I am so happy to have found this forum. I wish I had done so months ago.

My wife had a business trip to Prague this summer and I was able to join her. For better or worse I was introduced to czechsinthe in a most horrible way. I had, or course heard of absinthe before but really knew nothing about it so I had no idea how horrible is was going to be until it was too late. My poor friend who I convinced to try it with me lost his lunch it was so bad.

Well. I decided to find out what absinthe is really about once I got home. Your forum has been invaluable in my absinthe education. My friend (the same one who tried czechsinthe with me) lives in Germany and is coming out in a few weeks so now I'm ready to make my first purchase and soon I'll even have tried a few absinthes so that I can contribute to the accumulated knowledge on this fine site.

Thanks to Hiram for making this forum available and to all you fine people for making it so valuable.

Welcome, Dantodd!

Have you decided what your first purchase will be?

Good luck and have fun! :cheers:

Have you decided what your first purchase will be?

No, but I'm leaning toward 3 or 4 bottles at least one verte, one blanche and a selection from France, Switzerland and maybe Germany.

I want to try enough of an assortment that I can learn a little about my own tastes.

edit: I live in San Francisco Bay Area but my in-laws are in Laguna Beach so we're down south alot too. (I've updated my profile with location etc.)

Edited by dantodd

No, but I'm leaning toward 3 or 4 bottles at least one verte, one blanche and a selection from France, Switzerland and maybe Germany.

France: Jade (pick one or two, everyone has a different favourite and least favourite)

Switzerland: Clandestine

Germany: Eichelberger

Might as well get some Serpis, too (Spain).

Oh, and welcome. :cheers:

I'll go so far as to nudge you towards the Jade Edouard! Otherwise, I second Peridot's recommendations. Welcome. :cheers:

Welcome! :cheers:

One very nice thing I found out about the SF bay area the last time I was there was that Henri Bardouin Pastis is available over there, unlike here in NM. It's very nice and I highly recommend it.

Haha, well.....

Jade 1901

Clandestine (make sure you get the correct one)

Verte de Fougerolles (sp? ive been drinking)

annnnnnnnnnndddddddd

François Guy ( I only suggest this because it will help you develop your taste for absinthe. And it is a decent deal...)

I'll agree with Brooks on Edouard.

I was extremely disappointed in the PF1901. But I'm in the minority there.

Peridot and T73 are right on the money. Edouard was the first bottle of really good stuff I had ever ordered. I've kept a stock of it ever since, including about half a bottle from that original order that has been aging wonderfully.

Alright, tell me exactly where you were drinking assbinth in Prague and I'll punch someone in the nose for you. Glad you survived. Prague has a lot to offer. Assbinth ain't one of those things.

Ahoj. :cheers:

Wow! no one can accuse WS of not making a warm welcome.

I've been poring over the forums a bit more since I joined up and got access to the members only area.

It would be nice if an SF get together actually happened. I have family in SoCal so Costa Mesa would be fine too! hint, hint....

As for the hotel in Prague, I don't recall, my wife's company made the travel plans. However; we had a wonderful time in The Czech we also visited Czesky Krumlov and Karlovy Vary. In the other cities we stayed in Penzions. We would have liked to make it to Poland but only had a week or so out of Prague.

Baubel, one of the locals has a few different pastis but I don't know anything about it. I'm sure a quick search here will help fill in the blanks.

I can see this isn't going to be an inexpensive vice to pick up. I sure hope that more absinthe gets into the U.S. channel and that California distributors pick them up soon. I've been hounding my local liquor stores about lucid and they are all mostly aware of it (if misinformed on the legal issues still) and will start carrying it as soon as CA distribution is in place.

BTW: I love Hi-Times. I'm a homebrewer and they have a wonderful beer selection as well as their liquor selection. I don't know much about their wine selection since I mostly from mailing lists etc.