Sign in to follow this  
Anubis

Not-so-fine Spirits

It made you crabby?

The Cambrian period had some cool shit floating around. I wouldn't want to come across any of it.

Brings back memories of growing up...well...where I did, the projects.

All hail Mad Dog 20/20, that is all.

My teen/preteen years were full of stolen bottles of Kesler (my dad won 'em every few weeks bowling, but never drank), and Hot Damn schnapps.

God, it's amazing my stomach doesn't have holes.

when we were kids my mom would always drink boone's farm on ice.

My worst experience with any liquor was czechsinthe in The Czech Republic.

I only drank a couple times before turning 21 and one of those times was in Mexico, where I was not breaking the law drinking. I think I was drunk by 10:00 the first morning and remember very little of the whole weekend. I still like Corona. I do remember picking up and exchanging bottles at the brewery at least twice over the 3 day weekend.

Raaaaaht......Gut!

I have drank too much Strawberry Swill. All before I was 21. :puke:

The Apple Wine for me, when I was 15.

Never again! :puke: :puke:

I'm sorry to revive an old thread, but as a semi ghetto wine taster I must contribute.

Nightrain is a mean wine.

The food loins are going out of bizness round my parts, so my friends and I were struggling to source the train. We ended up buying a case of it from the local liquor store. Yes, we bought a case of nightrain. The owners didn't know what it was, sigh. I mean, Guns N Roses wrote songs about it!

Next time you feel the urge to watch a good zombie flick, pick up a bottle of nighttrain. Unlike absinthe, no special gizmos are needed. In fact, you are encouraged to drink it straight from the bottle. It's a clean burning wine, no sulphates or anything. Drink some water with it, and you'll be fine the next day.

And it tastes a world better than MD. It's not as sweet as the Rose, and has less plastic flavor. Still has some kerosene in there, but... it's a ghetto wine! Some prefer the Thunderbird, but I like red wines. And it's got a train right on the bottle! An express train!

(to give you a Fear of a Black Hat allusion, when you take that train... you get there.)

Other fine wines are, for instance, Longhorn! I can't remember the slogan, but it was something like how it was the wine cowboys would drink. It was a citrus wine, made in florida. Swill, but a class bottle.

sysco, whatever the color, is undrinkable. A friend of mine swears by the peach, I wont touch it.

Really, though, a lot of the classic names are no longer. I've tasted some vintage beverages that a friend laid back (couldn't stomach), things like the wimple. There is nothing on the market to compare with some of the old ghetto wines. I don't know where they got the esters they used, but... ghad those things are bad!

Aw, man! You took me back to when I was a callow youth I spent a summer working with a housepainter to help pay for art school, and we would sample a different vintage every day after work. Richard's Wild Irish Rose packed the meanest wallop but, wanting to grow up and be Jake and Elwood, I definitely leaned toward the Train. Sort of like when one drinks Swill Beer and chooses PBR for the romance of it.

I had a client years ago that declared, "the Romance of PBR? That's like the Romance of Government Cheese!"

Not "like", my dear, that IS the same Romance. :wub:

Unfortunately, I haven't had the pleasure of such exquisite "wines" but these below (especially the first one-no longer available) have been the part of my youth:

post-1144-1211321675.jpg

post-1144-1211321796.jpg