• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#1 Trid

Trid

Ooo Shiny!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:56 PM

My most current style obsession has been "Steampunk." If you're not already familiar, think back to the Will Smith remake of "Wild Wild West" in the context of modern gizmos and doohickeys that work on Victorian-era clockwork, gears, springs, and such, of course powered by steam (typically).

So then...would it not be quite nifty to have/make/find a steampunk inspired absinthe spoon (or any other accessory or combination thereof)? Mr. Google has turned up naught. Being the DIY'er that I am, I think I'm going to see what I can concoct, either by way of designs, or perhaps even prototypes.

Some of my inspiration (and possibly technique) has come from here.
How nifty is that keyboard and monitor???
Also, additional inspiration has come from this place.
As I tear off into the mayhem of my mind, it leaves me wondering...do any of you have any ideas or thoughts along these lines?

Yeah, I know I'm nuts, but it's what I do :)

Semi-related:
I spent the weekend camping with a student glassblower. I'm already sketching out commissions :thumbup:

Edited to add:
The potential for a right nifty (yes, I'm quite fond of those words) fountain exists within the realm and aesthetic of steampunk. Brass, copper, glass, valves, spouts...why do the good ideas come just as you're falling asleep?

Edited by Trid, 04 September 2007 - 10:39 PM.

Some people are like slinkies....not really useful for anything, but you can't help but to smile when you see them tumbling down a flight of stairs.

#2 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,246 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:06 AM

Steampunk rules. I haven't seen the WWW remake, but any of the HG Wells "Time Machine" movies should get the idea across.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#3 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• 3,302 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 04:18 AM

A fountain would be cool.
"I really like depriving myself of things. It's fun! Very monastic." - Kosmo

#4 AlyssaDyane

AlyssaDyane

Now with less gall.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:43 AM

I can not believe that I have never contemplated Steampunk thing-a-ma-jigs. I can't stop looking at all this stuff. I want a steampunk LCD tv. Great more shite to spend my ducats on.
Nothing is simpler than to complete pictures in a superficial sense. Never does one lie so cleverly as then. - Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec

#5 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:06 PM

I like the Necropathic Spectrograph....

Attached File  Necropathic_spectregraph.JPG   79.01KB   17 downloads.......but it's ALL cool stuff. Never heard of steampunk. Thanks, Trid!

#6 ShaiHulud

ShaiHulud

Dr. Valentin Magnan wannabe

• 2,385 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:23 PM

Damn! I bet Mrs. Hiram is all over that. Pensive would want it too but she has played too much Fatal Frame.
Litany against fear of Absinthe - I must not fear Absinthe. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my Absinthe. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the Absinthe has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

#7 scaper8

scaper8

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 01:28 PM

That keyboard is amazing, I've got to make one.

#8 Daniel Lyons

Daniel Lyons

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 01:47 PM

It's cool stuff. I started to read a book "The Difference Engine," supposedly set in a steampunk world. I have the rulebook for a steampunk RPG called Forgotten Futures but I never did read it or play it. Great links!

#9 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 04:22 PM

Wow, I didn't even know people made this stuff until I wandered into this thread and now I want everything I own to be made that way.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#10 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 05:16 PM

That was exactly my reaction.

#11 Trid

Trid

Ooo Shiny!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:13 PM

I'm so insanely jealous of the people who get to go to work in this office.
They...have...a...bar...

Sidenote:
I've already begun preliminary sketches of my steampunk fountain...stay tuned.
Some people are like slinkies....not really useful for anything, but you can't help but to smile when you see them tumbling down a flight of stairs.

#12 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:38 PM

Thanks for the education.

Reminds when Brevans came to the market there was that photo of Giger and Markus and all I could see was the totally inappropriate, conventional fountain. Still wish Giger would take a crack at reinventing the fountain.

#13 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:42 PM

That could be spectacular.

#14 Trid

Trid

Ooo Shiny!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:52 PM

Oh yes...I have to second that!

#15 printmkr

printmkr

• PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 07:47 AM

and of course you are going to want to buy your own steampunk raygun. Collect 'em and trade 'em!

RayGuns
"...anyone who listens to an artist talk should have his eyes examined."
Claes Oldenberg

#16 Fever

Fever

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:02 AM

Still wish Giger would take a crack at reinventing the fountain.

Great idea. That made me think about the Korova Milk Bar in A Clockwork Orange for some reason. A mix between the "milk" dispensers and Gigers work would be gorgeous.

ps: on topic: That office is cool. To bad not much, if anything, is actually functional but rather only aesthetic. Most steampunk is I guess.

Edited by Fever, 06 September 2007 - 08:05 AM.

#17 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,246 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:07 AM

Wow, I didn't even know people made this stuff until I wandered into this thread and now I want everything I own to be made that way.

I've always had more of an anachronistic taste and years ago thought about ways to make my computer and monitor look like antiques. Then about a year or so ago I heard of Steampunk. All this time I thought it was "antiquifying."

I too will be working on a Steampunk fountain.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#18 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:31 AM

When I was younger the parents of a friend of mine had a fancy dining establishment called "Captain Nemo's"
that probably was developed to try and take advantage of the Disney movie 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. It was a very complete and thorough job as I recall, and that office in the pics made it all come right back into my head. Very cool. I used to love hanging out at that place when it was closed, just looking at all the Jules Verne detailing. Even had a secret room!
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#19 Robert (DrinkBoy) Hess

Robert (DrinkBoy) Hess

Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:50 AM

SteamPunk ranges from the classic and elegant "Victorian" inspired designs often seen in H. G. Wells movies (as mentioned earlier), all the way to the more eclectic "retrofit" designs as shown in Terry Gilliam's movie "Brazil". And of course all stages between those two.

Myself, I'd tend more toward the Victorian inspiration for an Absinthe set.

Attached File  GeorgePalTimeMachine.jpg   28.8KB   10 downloadsAttached File  BrazilComputer.jpg   26.33KB   9 downloads

#20 ejellest

ejellest

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:13 AM

While I don't believe any Absinthe is involved the second "Thief" computer game, "The Metal Age" had significant steampunk themes.

Another author I really enjoy is China Miéville. His books "Perdido Street Station", "The Scar", and "The Iron Council" are sort of Steam Punk-ish.

~Erik
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, San Francisco, CA, USA

#21 hissykitties

hissykitties

Ms. Sassypuss

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:03 PM

Thanks for the link to the Brass Goggles site. I know some folks who are into Steampunk and do some costuming based on the genre. I was just getting ready to suggest to a friend yesterday about doing a Jules Verne group when she posted some recent sketches.
"The less I behave like Whistler's mother the night before, the more I look like her the morning after." ~ Tallulah Bankhead

#22 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,246 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:02 PM

Oooh! City of Lost Children. Very Steampunk.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#23 hissykitties

hissykitties

Ms. Sassypuss

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 05:14 PM

I love City of Lost Children. Need to dust of my copy.

I was thrilled when Delicatessen FINALLY came out on dvd last year.
"The less I behave like Whistler's mother the night before, the more I look like her the morning after." ~ Tallulah Bankhead

#24 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 05:23 PM

Wooo! Check out this guy's PC setup. It's still in mock-up, but he's working on it. How 'bout that CD drive mounted over the Underwood?! Is that great looking, or what?

#25 LeRoy

LeRoy

Shifty eyes

• 2,847 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 05:30 PM

That is freekin' incredible!

"We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight"
HP Lovecraft

http://yourinspirationathome.com.au

#26 ShaiHulud

ShaiHulud

Dr. Valentin Magnan wannabe

• 2,385 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 05:44 PM

That is super cool. I have had tattoos on the brain lately and now all I can think about is pulling off my shirt and having a half body steampunk tattoo. Skin pealed back to reveal all the gears etc...
Litany against fear of Absinthe - I must not fear Absinthe. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my Absinthe. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the Absinthe has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

#27 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• 2,019 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 06:13 PM

Tattoos on the brain must be really painful. Hope you're not thinking of getting a piercing there, too.

Besides, Shai, I'd have thought you'd check out the Sword on the website Brooks linked to. Kind of reminds me of those offset-handle bread knives.
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#28 Robert (DrinkBoy) Hess

Robert (DrinkBoy) Hess

Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 07:32 PM

That sword reminds me of what they used in "Dark Crystal"... I guess that's moving us away from the Steampunk intent of this thread. But a Brian Froud inspired Fountain could also be cool.

#29 Gertz

Gertz

Stale pastry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:40 AM

I have been fascinated with all things steampunk-ish for a long time, especially as seen in the Schuiten & Peeters' graphic novels "Cities of the Fantastic", but I only recently learned that there was a word for it.

About a steampunk absinthe spoon - well, aren't absinthe spoons as such already pretty much objects of that style?
+

#30 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• 2,019 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:14 PM

Agreed. For that matter, the Frenchman repros of XIXth century fountains are already pretty well keyed to the look. What really makes steampunk look great is it "retrifies" modern technology, like computers.
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association