Glaucus

The Muse Revealed

I think Glaucus is a troll.

I doubt he'll read any of the cited references, or the FAQ.

He also uses personal attacks in response to questions about how he has obtained his information and come to his conclusions.

I'll point it out again, the FDA has determined that 10 ppm or less of thujone in an absinthe qualifies as thujone free. Which means that they don't believe that there will be any effect from the thujone at all. Which is why neither Lucid, Kübler, (both already approved) or any other of the absinthes currently undergoing approval by the TTB and FDA require any warning labels other than the standard government warning regarding the consumption of alcohol.

Edit: I fixed the reference to theFAQ.

Absinthist: Thank you yet again. I am interested in those resources. If I cannot find them on my own I will contact you.

Wild Bill Turkey: Hiram had complete access to my initial post. I included it in the reply to his initial email to me. The day after I forwarded my short essay he allowed me access to the site personally. This is the reason I was disappointed in his response. If he took such issue with me before I was allowed access to the forum, why allow me access knowing full well what I was here to do? Unless it was for his own entertainment.

As for the misinformation, I used the search function, searched for GABA, and there they were.

Marrow: I do know who created Marteau, which is why I furnished the short essay on GABA to him personally before posting it here. Also, I have been a member of the ninjai forums for 5 or so years. Good bunch of people over there.

Is there anyone that would actually like to discuss the topic?

What specifically about your posts would you like to discuss? As mentioned several times already, most of what you stipulated is not news to us. The rest was wrong or misconstrued, which has already been addressed.

Well sure, but there is a difference between discussing a topic and starting your first post as a lecture/blog-post (with questionable claims) to people that have been over all of this before.

I might also point out that it was quite rude of you to refute the several people who recommended you introduce yourself in the newcomer section. Each new member has done it. Why won't you?

Maybe it will give us a little backgroud on who you are, and what level of knowledge you actually have on the subject.

It will do you nothing but good to follow the guidelines of the forum.

A big part of "discussing the topic" is going to be clearing up all the "misinformation" you've found here. You've been asked a couple of times to cite it.

As for the misinformation, I used the search function, searched for GABA, and there they were.

Aside from being bad english, this doesn't answer the question. What did you find that you take issue with?

Hiram and T73: I understand you are creator/vetenerated member(s) and have the power of administrators here but I am going to say this anyway. I really was looking forward to hearing both of your opinions on the subject of the post and all you offered was juinor high school social circle net-drivel. Forgive my bluntness but I am sorely dissappointed.

This post is my introduction.

Well, it's not a very good introduction in terms of forming positive relationships here. It is a good introduction in terms of showing us your personality and just how seriously we should take you.

Hiram and T73 are venerated members here partially due to their knowledge of Absinthe and partially to their track record of consistently going out of their way to be polite and help people feel good about themselves. Their responses to you were the exact opposite of what you referred to as, "juinor high school social circle net-drivel." You got a straight forward but polite and generally good natured redirection from each of them that pointed you, not out the door, but toward a healthy relationship with us and (whether you know it or not) helped to keep some of the more ravenous members off your ass. I dare say it was more than you would get anywhere else.

If you are the type of person who can't feel comfortable until you know where the limits are... you have found them. I believe the choice before you now is, 1. Take the redirection and be welcome or 2. Toddle off and throw your misdirected weight around somewhere else (I know that "toddle" sounds more than a bit condescending but I just wanted to write it, forgive me). If you stick around long enough (and I hope that you do) you will learn about the personalities behind the posts and that will help you to accurately interpret what is being written to/about you.

Besides, I need someone else around here who spells as badly as I do.

:police: Yes Sir Officer ..... He had these seedy red eyes and an icky breath when he came in and all I could think of was .....A Troll looking for a fight ... whereby I picked up the nearest empty bottle of N.O. and struck him profusely bout the head and shoulders.

:shock: You've got an empty bottle of Mansinthe already?

EDIT:

I searched for GABA. There are mainly two threads which could give you the wrong impression that misinformation is being spread here; one is 'Debate on the Psychoactivity of Wormwood (LONG!)' and the other is 'Smoked wormwood'.

You would not have got the wrong impression had you read the posts on these threads in full. If you did read them in full, and take them in context of the discussion, I suggest that you request people 'dumb down' what they were saying in a PM, because you clearly didn’t understand it.

Part of me admires that this guy is on a mission to debunk some of the urban myths regarding absinthe. It's just that this isn't exactly the best place to do so. Glaucus, you're really not telling anybody anything they don't already know. Your efforts would be better utilized in places such as the Erowid forums. I have a feeling you didn't really read the FAQ 's or browse the posts in here, and just came in assuming (wrongly) that this was just another absinthe forum full of ignorant fools telling stories of how we "tripped ballz". As you can see the members here are quite informed individuals whose knowledge on this subject matter dwarfs your own.

If you really want to make a difference, go to the myspace absinthe forums and Erowid and spread the gospel.

:laf:

Ari and absinthist may have referred to these already.

The Hold et al article describing the research showing alpha-thujone is a modulator of GABAA activity. Please be aware that this article is discussing the chemical alpha-thujone and not absinthe. Please be aware that the dosages discussed in the article are large.

From the article:

However, the 10 ppm (66 µM) upper limit of the European Commission (6) and particularly the 260 ppm (1710 µM) thujone content of old absinthe (6) would give a detectable to major inhibitory effect beyond that of the ethanol content. Current low levels of alpha- and beta-thujone in absinthe are of much less toxicological concern than the ethanol content (6).

And that was in 1997.

Here is a little article from the British Journal of Pharmocology on sage. Sage also contains chemical components that are modulators of the GABAA receptors.

We have everything we need now to know not to take this jerk seriously. Ari refuted Glaucus's outdated notions and provided links to evidence. Hiram refuted notions as well and I provided a link. And this is what he says:

Is there anyone that would actually like to discuss the topic?

In terms of argument style this is Tom Hill all over again. When his points are shot down he pretends that those posts were never written, or that they just didn't say what they said. I like to believe real people aren't that stupid, so I figure this jerk's just a troll, amusing himself behind that wonderful internet anonymity.

As the link Marrow posted suggests, he's probably written what he calls his "short essay" on the topic, and has been posting it all over the internet ( even forums where he's on "permanent probation", HA! ) in an attempt to spread some basically good information.

He's probably expecting to get a lot of argument from people who think "only the czech stuff really makes you trip", and he's geared up for rebuttals of that nature, as he would have gotten on most other forums or online blog spaces.

He needs to realize just how different this place is.

I have grown wormwood and have twenty pounds of it sitting in my living room, which my wife keeps bugging me to move to the basement.

Tru dat.

icky with aimless meandering dumbassity

Dumbassity! I LOVE that word!

just a troll, amusing himself behind that wonderful internet anonymity.

Oh, like we haven't had enough of that already... :thumbdown:

Too long, not reading the posts, but I can say this: DUH.

So, welcome, but what's your point?

You didn't debunk anything, nor did you actually point out anything new. In fact, I have posted my own threads regarding wormwood/thujone pharmacology and the inherent debate that comes with it for quite a while (with many more citations and interesting facts).

Not only that, but what you said IS in the FAQ on this site...?

What am I missing?

I'd love for you to explain it. Search on my username for some of the thujone/wormwood related pharmacological debates I've brought up, it would be great to go deeper into this with someone interested.

Aaron

(Sorry to sound snippy)

I don't know if this is too racy for here, but (it's proved useful elsewhere):

internetdickwadby4.jpg

Do you think it's possible to rearrange the letters Glaucus to spell JMFranc?

This is the muse revealed.

As much as I relish a good discussion on GABA antagonists, I must admit I have a preference (at least for entertainment purposes):

post-97-1189053145_thumb.jpg

Care to guess which muse I prefer?

(Depending on chemotype, these may or may not be candidates for "Separated at Birth (distillation)"...)

Wild Bill Turkey: Hiram had complete access to my initial post. I included it in the reply to his initial email to me. The day after I forwarded my short essay he allowed me access to the site personally.
Actually you started this thread two hours after I received that email at 6:03 pm yesterday.
This is the reason I was disappointed in his response. If he took such issue with me before I was allowed access to the forum, why allow me access knowing full well what I was here to do? Unless it was for his own entertainment.
I'm not as cruel as all that. I did in fact begin composing a reply to your email, but then I remembered (with Mrs. Hiram's help) that I was taking a few days off and I thought, "what the hell, there are plenty of people on the forum who can do this." Do you have any idea how many wacky emails I get every week?

My choices were:

a.) Dismiss you as an unredeemable nut-job and delete your registration. (In which case I could look forward to two more concerned and inquisitive emails followed by an abusive one; that's the usual pattern)

b.) Take time out of my day off to tell you what all was wrong with your post and what to expect if you posted it here (I would have been right, too). In this scenario you argue with me personally in private, taking much more of my time. I send you a bill for my consulting fee.

c.) Click the button, let you in and see if you can sort it out with people's help or if you're too cool for school; in case of the latter, see option a.).

I took the most generous and fair option of giving you a chance. The entertainment value was just a small bonus.

In terms of argument style this is Tom Hill all over again. When his points are shot down he pretends that those posts were never written, or that they just didn't say what they said. I like to believe real people aren't that stupid, so I figure this jerk's just a troll, amusing himself behind that wonderful internet anonymity.
I tend to agree, but in the spirit of Little Britain: "Computer says 'no' ".
I don't know if this is too racy for here, but (it's proved useful elsewhere):

[dickwad image]

I love that thing.
... why allow me access knowing full well what I was here to do?
Maybe he was bored.
No, I was having fun tending the garden. I just figured everyone else would be bored by now.

Glaucus, I'm disinclined to think you're a troll, but I need to hear from you just exactly what untruths you're talking about. You've alluded to them and supposedly cited sources that refute them, but until you clarify what they are—and link to them—this is a pointless discussion. In brief: what's your point? It looks like you're just posturing. I can't imagine that this approach gets you very far anywhere else, especially offline, so let's back up and try again.

Maybe the other forums you hang out in are filled with amateur uninformed school kids, but not all forums are like that. Most of us are in our 30's, 40's and 50's (Absomphe is in the triple digits, but we try not to rub it in) and this is one of the three most relevant and authoritative absinthe sites on the web. A good number of us know our shit pretty well.