LeRoy

Let's talk Rum

Apologies if I missed this discussed previously, but has anyone tried something called "D'Aristi Xtabentun"? It's described as a Mayan liquor from Mexico made from "rum, fermented honey, and anise" @ DUNY's website.

Yep, I love it. Brought two bottles back from Cancun a couple of years ago and didn't have any trouble getting through them!

But do be aware that it's a pretty sweet liqueur, that DUNY description could lead one to believe it's a dry spirit, as honey can ferment out quite dry. I don't know if all of the sweetness in Xtabentun comes from honey or if there is some added sugar, but it is heavy, sweet, and there's plenty of honey aroma and flavor.

I tend to sip it straight as a late night dessert drink.

RE: Xtabentum - funny, I've had that on my 'list of stuff to try' for a while now, good to hear positive things. It just moved up the list :)

RE: Kraken - I'm jealous ... and anxiously awaiting finding a bottle at my local store. Not just because it sounds up my alley, but their site is fantastic, and I've been kind of Kraken obsessed since I saw Clash of Titans as a kid. Shoot, even one of my band bios has mention of the Kraken.

On a similar note, I've nearly polished off a bottle of Kilo Kai spiced rum. Fantastic stuff with a little ice.

Release the Kracken! Did you see they're remaking Clash of the Titans?!? Seriously, nothing could beat the original with its crappy stop-motion owl and scorpion.

A friend of mine brought back some rum from the British Virgin Islands... Callwood Spiced Rum. I don't drink rum often, but this stuff was like candy... very good! Unfortunately it's only available at the distillery...

I loooooooves me some Clement VSOP rhum agricole--another one from Martinique. Haven't tried the JM VSOP yet.

Ordered a bottle of 15 year old Rhum Barbancourt today. Ironically enough, I'm in Haiti and had to order it online from the States haha. We can't even buy alcohol down here which is a bummer. I'm curious as to if the prices for Barbancourt will rise, as they sustained some significant damage to not only their factory, but they lost A LOT of barrels of rum.

I've been very interested in finding real news about that. Initially, I heard from people who seemed like they should know that the whole distillery was leveled, and within days I was told by distributors that it was basically untouched. So that's a pretty broad range.

You're there, and they received substantial damage, but they're operating? Plans to repair/rebuild? Are you covering it in Mutineer?

I wish I was here to cover it for Mutineer, but I'm in th Army and have been down here for disaster relief operations for the last 2 months. Looking at a map, I've ventured pretty close to the Barbancourt Castle and the distillery, but not quite up far enough into Petionville.

Here is what I read in the LA times about the damage the distillery sustained:

"The earthquake that struck Haiti last month didn't pass over the venerable distillery, planted amid thick palms and bougainvillea north of Port-au-Prince. Walls collapsed, machinery was damaged, and the plant's 800 French oak vats, each holding 2,000 gallons of rum, swayed and tumbled into one another like dominoes. About a third of the rum splashed onto the ground."

And along with this, most of the houses belonging to emplyees were destroyed and 4 employees were killed in their homes.

In that article a worker from Barbancourt is quoted saying that engineers are already fixing the equipment and they should be operational again in 2-4 weeks (article dated back to early February I believe). But even still, if they lost a third of their stocks of aging rum that is being aged 8-15 years, that's quite a substantial loss and I'm surprised not seeing the price or demand of the rum going up. But that's just my opinion.

Rest of that article: http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-and-wor...0,4799177.story

Edited by odiedog52