LeRoy

Let's talk Rum

Sounds good but there's a problem.

Absinthe of foreign origin is (as far the the US government is concerned) on par with English candy. There's nothing illegal about possessing it, it's that someone in some agency somewhere has decided that some of the ingredients are bad for me and so if they catch me with it they'll take it away. And that's it.

Cuban Rum is a whole different ballgame. It's a violation of a Federal Law to even buy the stuff regardless of what country I'm in when I buy it. Fines and/or jail time are called for if I get caught.

At least that's how I'm understanding the rules. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Having said that, there's probably zero chance I'll get caught buying Cuban Rum. And probably a near zero chance that they would hit me with more than a fine.

I'll have to do some thinking. Weight options, risks vs. rewards, etc.

Do what you will, but I've never seen anyone have a problem with it.

Frankly, there's much better rums out there, unless you're looking at trying to get their 15 year old or the Maximo. Both of those are very good, yet still replaceable. I'd recommend trying either the Ron Zacapa Centenario, Pyrat or something from LdF. I've found the St. Etienne XO to be very similar, yet a bit more enojoyable.

I count Poe and Lovecraft, but who are the other three? I feel like I should know them, but I don't, and it's driving me a little bit nuts.

Can't help you there my friend. I searched google images for a seance pic and it came up with that. Poe was the only one I recognised.

Sounds good but there's a problem.

Absinthe of foreign origin is (as far the the US government is concerned) on par with English candy. There's nothing illegal about possessing it, it's that someone in some agency somewhere has decided that some of the ingredients are bad for me and so if they catch me with it they'll take it away. And that's it.

Cuban Rum is a whole different ballgame. It's a violation of a Federal Law to even buy the stuff regardless of what country I'm in when I buy it. Fines and/or jail time are called for if I get caught.

At least that's how I'm understanding the rules. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Having said that, there's probably zero chance I'll get caught buying Cuban Rum. And probably a near zero chance that they would hit me with more than a fine.

I'll have to do some thinking. Weight options, risks vs. rewards, etc.

I read an article in Cigar Aficionado about how our government has tracked people who have purchased Cuban contraband in Europe and still punished them. The cover of the issue was devoted to Cuban cigars.

So I finally found Goslings Black Seal and have been Dark and Stormy for the last couple of weeks.... love it!! Possibly replacing the Pimm's Cup as summer drink of choice #3 (G&T shall always remain #2 and everyone knows what #1 is... der)

I'm resurrecting the rum thread, because I do indeed like a nice glass of rum.

I have very little experience with light rums, but have had quite a few darks, and I agree with the older comments that dark rum is ideal for sipping (although some are also good with cola -- see below). Here are my picks:

For those of you who are in favor of a strong flavor, I recommend trying English Harbour.

For mixing with Coke, I haven't found anything to beat Sailor Jerry's for a spicy kick that's delicious with cola.

For a sipper with milder flavor with a nice vanilla taste AND the most economical of all, the clear winner is Admiral Nelson's. At $10 a bottle, you might think this is low-grade swill, but I guarantee that you will taste it and feel that it tastes much better than rums that cost three times that much (I'm looking hard at you, Captain Morgan :pirate: )

I second the comment on English Harbour, I love it. Mount Gay Extra Old is a wonderful sipper, and I am also fond of Flor de Cana Centenario. :cheers:

I've seen both Mount Gay and Flor mentioned by a few people in this thread, so I'll have to try those out.

Cockspur is one that I've tried and didn't much care for the flavor of, but I don't recall why. I thought I'd throw that out there since it was brought up earlier and it would qualify as a sipper.

R. Z. Centenario was my first top shelf rum... I don't really do rum and cokes or mixed drinks, besides dark and stormies that is... I like to have the following on the rocks:

El Dorado

Mt. Gay XO

Pyrat Rum

Angostura 1919

Barbancort

Pusser's

Cruzan Single Barrel

Wray & Nephew

Clement Premiere Canne Rhum Agricole

Depaz Rhum Agricole

Wondering when someone would bring up Barbancourt. Wonderful spirit. First had it in Germany, of all places. A fellow in my class at school was a brewer from Haiti. As you say, it's wonderful on the rocks.

I had barbancourt for the first time in November on a cruise. There was only one bar on the ship that had it. Turned out it was somebody's private stash that got left behind so the bartender didn't bother charging me for it. Interestingly vegetal straight out of the bottle and became this rich vanilla after sitting for a short bit.

Sidenote: The "bartender" was actually a Chilean kid who was promoted from waiting tables to working behind the bar with only a couple days' crash course on a scant few cocktails. We got friendly and I started talking about the bottles he had to work with: "this is crap, that's ok, so-and-so is orgasmic" and so on. He really lit up when I mentioned Pisco...I got a lot of really strong, inexpensive drinks from that point on.

I also was able to save a couple ladies who, until that point, thought "rum" and "bacardi" were interchangeable. I wouldn't waste the barbancourt on them, but they did enjoy the pyrat :)

R. Z. Centenario was my first top shelf rum... I don't really do rum and cokes or mixed drinks, besides dark and stormies that is... I like to have the following on the rocks:

El Dorado

Mt. Gay XO

Pyrat Rum

Angostura 1919

Barbancort

Pusser's

Cruzan Single Barrel

Wray & Nephew

Clement Premiere Canne Rhum Agricole

Depaz Rhum Agricole

Ah yes, I'd totally forgotten that I had Pyrat and Pusser's each once before. I favored the Pyrat, but both were fine. I still need to buy a bottle of Black Seal so that I can try an "official" Dark & Stormy. I do enjoy a Jack & Ginger on occasion, so I'm confident I'll like the D&S.

Mt. Gay XO is definitely up there. I still haven't tried the RZ Centenario, that one is mentioned a lot, I'll have to track it down.

I don't think I saw Ron Pampero Aniversario mentioned anywhere in this thread. I prefer this to the Mount Gay. Buy it if you see it, you won't be disappointed. My favorite of the 20 or so rums I've tried.

I used to always keep a bottle of Ron Botran Anejo on hand, I remember it being inexpensive and considered it my best "bang for the buck" rum. I thought it was quite a bit better than the Cruzan and the Flor de Cana (which are both killer deals at about $10 a bottle), and the Botran was just a few dollars more. The local store where I used to get the Botran stopped carrying it, so haven't had it in quite some time.

Anybody have comments on Lemon Hart Demerara? For some reason my local store carries the 151 but not the standard proof. Try it in a Kapu-Kai: 1 oz 151 Demerara rum, 1/2 oz fresh lime juice, 1/2 oz simple syrup, shaken and strained. This is a really nice drink with the LH Demerara. I'm wondering if the 80 pf LH has the same flavor profile as the 151. I've had the El Dorado Demerara (just a standard bottling, not one of the older ones) and didn't find it as interesting as the Lemon Hart.

I've mentioned elsewhere, my experience with Pyrat XO was not good. I found it had a surprisingly strong orange flavor that I didn't think had any place in a "XO" sipping rum. It's been pushed to the back of the shelf.

And while we're talking rum, let's not forget Thomas & Leopold single barrel dark rum from Leopold Bros. The bottle I had, from barrel #2, was very nice -- fresh and aromatic, and worked very well with lime juice. It didn't last long! I'll have to add another bottle to my shopping list.

And while we're talking rum, let's not forget Thomas & Leopold single barrel dark rum from Leopold Bros. The bottle I had, from barrel #2, was very nice -- fresh and aromatic, and worked very well with lime juice. It didn't last long! I'll have to add another bottle to my shopping list.

Definitely!

I just (finally!) got my 2 bottles of Lemon Hart 151 Demerara rum, from Guyana.

Anybody have comments on Lemon Hart Demerara? For some reason my local store carries the 151 but not the standard proof. Try it in a Kapu-Kai: 1 oz 151 Demerara rum, 1/2 oz fresh lime juice, 1/2 oz simple syrup, shaken and strained. This is a really nice drink with the LH Demerara. I'm wondering if the 80 pf LH has the same flavor profile as the 151. I've had the El Dorado Demerara (just a standard bottling, not one of the older ones) and didn't find it as interesting as the Lemon Hart.

Can anyone give me a lead on where to pick up a bottle or two of Lemon Hart 151? It's available through the PLCB, but ya gotta order 6 bottles of the stuff. It doesn't seem to be available through DUNY or from any of the other usual suspects.

Alternately, is there another good 151-proof demerara rum to use as a substitute?

Tryin' to get my tiki on.

Cask Spirits, a local exotic liquor store here in San Francisco that ships nationally, has it. It's also the only place I've ever seen it for sale. That doesn't say that much, because once I've tried a few decent stores in my neighborhood and can't find something, I usually just drive to Cask without looking much harder.

But since you can't find it at your other online sources either, I guess it's pretty scarce. That's odd, because it isn't especially pricey, and it's hard to make a lot of tiki drinks without it, so I'd have thought it would be more available.

Cool. Thanks, WBT!

Edit: Damn. They don't ship to PA. I shouldn't be surprised. Sigh. Any other ideas?

Found a couple of other stores that ship it nationally, but they both have policies against shipping to MA or PA. Must be hell to live in those places if you're looking for something in the way of unusual booze. Sorry. :thumbdown:

You said it. God bless the PLCB.

Ah well, I'll keep on searching. Might have to take a look in Baltimore; I'll be down there in a few weeks...

In the meantime, if anyone has a lead, let me know!

I finally tracked down a few online sources for Lemon Hart 80 and 151, for anyone who, like me and unlike WBT, doesn't live within easy driving distance of a decent liquor store:

Hi-Time Wine Cellars

Beltramo's Wine and Spirits

John Walker & Co.

Technically, PA (along with a number of other states) does not appear on the "We ship to..." list of two of the sites above, but I ordered from one of them without a problem. It's good to know that this fine demerara rum can still be had by the unwashed masses living outside of Cali!

Time to get my tiki on! :cheers:

EDIT: Can't seem to make links #1 and #2 connect directly to the product pages. Just do a keyword search for "lemon hart" and it will pop up.

I don't like clear rum, mainly darker spiced rum .. and unfortunately I haven't tried much in the way of that other than Captain Morgans and Sailor Jerry's. But we just got in a bottle of Zaya Gran Reserva 12 year old rum which we'll be cracking open tomorrow night and enjoying. Can't wait to try it.

But we just got in a bottle of Zaya Gran Reserva 12 year old rum...

Captain Morgan and Sailor Jerry are screwed.

haha ya. made a killer drink with it ..

1oz fresh squeezed grapefruit juice

1oz zaya 12 year old rum

1/2 oz simple syrup

stir (or shake with ice) for 30 seconds and serve on the rocks (if not shaken).

it's amazing. i love the notes of vanilla on this rum.

edit: just saw you replied in the "what are you drinking tonight" thread .. but oh well

:pirate:

[Pokes thread with a stick]

Been a while since rum was on anyone's posting mind here, but hopefully you've had it on your taste buds. On Christmas Eve day, I sipped a glass of Old Mill for the first time, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I found it to be smooth, and yet to be a bit more flavorful and less "distilled" than other fine rums like English Harbour or Mount Gay. I don't have any Diplomatica left, so I couldn't compare it to that as a sipper, but I think it could be close...

Interestingly, it's imported through Aloha, OR, just around the way from me.

It hasn't been on my taste buds .. But it's been on my mind! I'm in Haiti for cryin' out loud and we aren't allowed to purchase, be in posession of, or consume alcohol. So much for getting Barbancort directly from the source!

Victim of the effective marketing, I picked up a bottle of "The Kraken", dark spiced rum.

I am pleasently surprised by how much I like it :)

It hasn't been on my taste buds .. But it's been on my mind! I'm in Haiti for cryin' out loud and we aren't allowed to purchase, be in posession of, or consume alcohol. So much for getting Barbancort directly from the source!

mmmm...Barbancourt Rum.