LeRoy

Let's talk Rum

One of which, was Stroh Rum.

I haven't had it for at least ten years now. Today I saw it at a liquor store.

Anyone else ever try it? It is a butterscotch flavor and 160 proof.

If not, let's hear some other Rum stories!

Stroh is very intriguing stuff: with traditional alcohol content for a rum, it is artificially coloured and comes from a country which is better known for Jagertee (Stroh company makes one as well) or not so well-known wines. Not counting Monty.

I must admit I liked it, it is very good for Planter's Punch, neat, or diluted 2:1 with water. Used to be a bit expensive, nowadays has got cheaper. However, in comparison with the already mentioned Flor de Cana, Stroh is not that great. Anyhow, worth trying.

All I remember of the Stroh is the butterscotch flavor. I'll probably buy a bottle to try, again.

Mine survived more than a year, so great success (I bought it in Slovakia), another year followed and it appeared on Polish shelves, now it is very common. I shall give it another try when I am outta rum.

I used to hate rum, all I knew of rum was Bacardi, Myers, The Captain etc. I've since found some really nice dark sipping rums. My favorite as a good value rum for sipping is Zaya from Guatamala. It's about $30 here is CA and quite nice.

I'll agree on the Black Seal rum from Bermuda. I'll note for you all here that most dark rums don't get their color from ageing, but from added caramel, usually, so don't be deceived into thinking that darks are better than lights.

Martinique has a good "Rhum Agricole" that is distilled from the pure juice of the cane, rather than the processed molasses. "Rhum Agricole" is not the brand name, but the style name.

Then, for our Canadian friends, there is Screech.

Martinique has a good "Rhum Agricole"

Are you talking about St. Etienne?

They are pretty good. I have bottles of the VSOP and XO. They are very enjoyable. I wouldn't call them the 'best' that I've had, but they are two of the top 5 or 6. My friend and I both can't seem to wrap our heads around the extra bite that they have. It was unexpected for rums that are of that age. It's not off-putting, just peculiar.

I just picked up the Mount Gay XO today. It has a thickness, and a roundness that is just amazing. Lots of fruit on the back (apricot, orange, grapefruit, cherry), caramel and bourbon vanilla in the front, and the softest finish of any rum I have sipped before.

I used to hate rum, all I knew of rum was Bacardi, Myers, The Captain etc. I've since found some really nice dark sipping rums.

Same here- previously, my only experience with rum was my roommate and his beloved Bacardi 151... I never really understood that taste had nothing to do with it.

Ever since maybe 5 or 6 months ago, I'll get the urge to get a nice sipping rum. Today I picked up the Appleton 12 Year, and I'm currently enjoying it, although, as Prole said, nowhere near as complex (or wicked awesome) as Shabba's.

Has anyone tried the Captain Morgan Private Stock or any Bacardi "premiums?"

Probablement Bacardi 8 is worth something, the rest :thumbdown: , Bacardi happens to be the most often counterfeited rum in Europe, though.

Has anyone tried the Captain Morgan Private Stock...?"

I posted somewhere around here about it. I really like it. I like Capt Morgans enough but find it a bit sharp and light for sipping (mixed with Dr. Pepper however is another story). I got a bottle of private stock to use in decorating my kids' "pirate room." Since I don't actually keep bottles of booze in my children's rooms, I drank the contents and just tried a sip neat and I really enjoyed it. Not a drop from the bottle was mixed. Quite yummy as a sipper (I am sure there are much better out there) that is priced very reasonably.

Shai's right. It's tasty as a sipper. I just picked up bottles of Pyrat Pistol and Pyrat XO today. I'm extremely happy with both. Both are very nice sippers and the Pistol works great in the few cocktails I've mixed it in so far this evening.

Even more surprising was the price. Both VERY reasonable.

I just picked up the Mount Gay XO today. It has a thickness, and a roundness that is just amazing. Lots of fruit on the back (apricot, orange, grapefruit, cherry), caramel and bourbon vanilla in the front, and the softest finish of any rum I have sipped before.

I'm in complete agreement with the above, it was my favorite rum, hands down.

Martinique has a good "Rhum Agricole" that is distilled from the pure juice of the cane, rather than the processed molasses. "Rhum Agricole" is not the brand name, but the style name.

Agricole has an upfront and pure cane flavour. I think that's basically what rum should be about.

Stroh is to rum as Hill's is to absinthe. It's not rum.

I have seen Rhum d' Agricole being sold in 700ml at 50% in the same shop I have bought gentiane, surely, I am planning to give it a try. Stroh is weird, but as a spirit, not rum, can be quity tasty.

EU standards required that the Czech industry rename their Tuzemsky Rum ("Domestic Rum", roughly) because, I believe, it's base is beet rather than cane. It is now officially labeled Tuzemák. Has Stroh faced this problem?

Here, all "rums" are labelled as "spirit drink", contain at minimum 5% of original rum and the rest is spirit/water, aroma.

The genuine rum is labelled "rum" only on the back label, with stating its country of origin, bottling, and who imports it, "Stroh" is labelled as well as "spirit drink", despite its high alcohol content (spirit drinks here are usually in the range 30%-40%)

In Slovakia, just as PB mentions, their Tuzemsky was renamed as well, usually as "Run" and it is indicated, it contains "rumowa aroma".

I don't know if it's any different than the bottlings available in Europe, but my bottle of Stroh 80 says it contains "rum, artificial flavor, contains certified colors and FD7C yellow #5." It doesn't mention whether rum is the only spirit used, or if it's merely one of the ingredients. On the back, which for regulatory purposes is the front, it is referred to as "Original STROH 80 spirit specialty."

It's good in cooking and makes a spectacular display when flambéeing a Bananas Foster.

On a side note, small splashes of absinthe works well with rum in cocktails.

The front label in Europe mentions: "original Stroh 80, the spirit of Austria", the back, apart from little history contains: "Spirituose Spirit Gedestilleerd Spiritueux" plus additional label: "Ingredients: rum, spirit, aroma, colours: (the full list)".

EU in EEC No. 1576 does not mention Stroh as rum or even as Verschnitt Rum, so its status in Europe would be as of any other spirit drink.

I'm in complete agreement with the above, it was my favorite rum, hands down.

Does it have to be XO? They have two other Mount Gays at my store but no XO.

Interesting!

Stroh is weird, but as a spirit, not rum, can be quity tasty.

Quite tasty, indeed!

As I said, I have not had Stroh for many years. My cousin had the bottle and I only knew it as rum. It does make sense, as I can't really remember a rum flavor.

Heck. I'll have to go buy a bottle now!

Does it have to be XO? They have two other Mount Gays at my store but no XO.

All the Mount Gay varieties are good, but if you want that velvety, full, rounded, and complex palate that Lars described, then I'm afraid the answer is yes.