Sign in to follow this  
Brian Robinson

Dornier - Tuller 1910

This weekend, as a celebration of the upcoming birth of my son, Doyle and I sampled a few vintage absinthes: Dornier- Tuller 1910, EP 1914, and Tarragona c. 1930.

All were fantastic, and reviews will be forthcoming, but I had a specific question which some of you may be able to answer, or at least speculate upon.

The Dornier-Tuller had a very distinctive rose or peach color, both before and after louche. The pics below show it a bit, but it was much more obvious in person. I've also put comparative pics of the other two absinthes, so you can get an idea of the difference.

Do you think this coloration was just a natural byproduct of the aging, or was it something specific in the recipe? Hibiscus maybe?

Dornier-Tuller

DSC00013.JPG

DSC00018.JPG

EP 1914

DSC00026.JPG

Tarragona

DSC00037.JPG

Note to self: Become Shabba's close, personal friend. :twitchsmile:

Seriously, congratulations on the son, Shabba. That deserves many, many toasts. :cheers:

Nice way to celebrate, Shabba!

I enjoyed some Egyptian Mead today with plenty of Hibiscus in the recipe. It was a nice red color.

Hearty congratulations all around! Here's hoping the birthing goes well. (FWIW, if your wife is so inclined, make sure the epidural is ordered early. My wife waited a bit too long on our first child and had to tough it out classic-style).

As for the aforementioned rose/peach color, I've no clue. But I am curious to hear what the cognoscenti have to say...

Haven't sampled the Dornier-Tuller yet, but I don't think there's any Hibiscus in it. As far as I know there is nothing specific about it that would lend that color so it's likely that it's simply from ageing.

Congrats, Buddy :cheers:

If D-T was actually rouge in pre and post stage it would be brown/beige, so aging and at the beginning it might have been beautiful verte.

Haven't tried my D-T sample yet either, but it sure will be very interesting to see what it's like compared to yours. Did yours also have quite a lot of sediments in it?

I'll report back to this thread when I've poured mine.

And of course – congrats on the mini-Shabba who's on his way! :cheers:

I did not see any floaters at all in my sample. The taste was sublime. It certainly had a dramatically different flavor profile than others I've tried from that period. Hence my interest in ingredients. As you can see, the color isn't off-putting in the slightest. In fact, I found it quite intriguing.

Hee hee. I wouldn't be surprised. I was a 10+ lb baby. She's got two months to go and the doc told us during our last ultrasound measurement that he probably weighs about 5 lbs already. Add the average of half a pound a week, and we're looking at around 9 lbs!

You can see how tiny she is in the profile pic too... When viewing, keep in mind we purposefully stood on a slope so I was about 5 inches below her. :twitchsmile:

Shabba,

Hissy and I are so happy for you and your wife. I have to tell you that you are one of the nicest, warm, genuine people we have ever met. Those traits are hard to find in society these days. What a wonderful father you will make and what joy awaits you and your wife. In a world where people are so caught up in themselves it’s refreshing to know someone like you.

I'll report back to this thread when I've poured mine.
Now, this wasn't yesterday... rather November last year. But better late than never.

My sample of this wonderful elixir did not show this rose/peach colour seen in Shabba's pictures. The colour was a deep, golden amber, more in line with the common pre-ban one is used to. And it had pretty much sediment floating around.

Pre-louche:

DSC_0026prelouche.jpg

Floaters:

DSC_0027prelouchesediments.jpg

Distinct layers:

DSC_0028louchinglayers.jpg

Post-louche:

DSC_0032postlouche.jpg

The louche was very fast to form, much faster than PF, and created a nice and dense, cloudy ball (or in this case a cone :)) of opaque milkiness at the bottom of the glass. It had no apparent green hint to the post louche colour, and not much peach tones either. Nothing really unusual to it... I guess Shabba's pink drink remains a mystery.

The taste was very smooth, and fresh, but the wormwood was much more subtle and held back than I had expected. It was much heavier in anise than e.g. PF and EP – and not the same quality, in regard of other aspects – but still very good, and an exciting experience. Overall, a first rate absinthe.