absinthe. Here's where I start to get pissed off. She

not only tells me they have some Lucid but tells me

they can't serve it because absinthe and "thuJohn" is

illegal. I politely explain that it is no longer

illegal and can be ordered from many places in New

York. She now spouts out how it is still illegal and

that no one can serve it. I mention that I personally

know Ted Breaux and he's told me that you just have to

ask for it. She says how nice he is when he comes in.

I mention that he told me to stop by to try the Lucid.

She shakes her head "no".

So, I mention "there goes the big tip" with a smile -

I figure one last shot at it. She says "sorry". I

order an Abita Amber and drop the subject.

TED - can you wake their asses up and tell them they

can serve it. Bring in a copy of something legal

looking and show them? And also, your bottle of Jade

is no longer on display there. And - here's another

kicker - it's the Old Absinthe House's 200 year

anniversary, absinthe is legal - AND THEY AREN'T

SERVING IT ?!?!?!?

Did you post this at Fee Verte as well? Twice as much chance that someone named Ted will actually see it. BTW are you saying that all the "other" times, we didn't need him? ;)

I love it when threads start out too weird for words! Yes, please introduce yourself, TreesPlease. Pull up a chair and chat awhile. :cheers:

Trees, if you know Ted personally, why are you trying to contact him via a public post on an Internet forum?

Oh, and by the way, trying to bribe a bartender who is refusing to sell you something because she believes it's illegal? Not gonna get you far. Remember, she's already refused to sell it. Now you're asking her to break the law and risk her job for a few bucks.

Yup.

Course, it does remind me of that simply dreadful bar we hit down there where the gal INSISTED that she light her 'perfectly good absinth' on fire.

I think we all cringed right about then.

As a wise man once said, "A demonstrated capacity for discretion goes a long way."

Yeah Lars, I remember that. She got schooled though didn't she?

I wouldn't mind LaFee on the shelves (not the "Bohemian"). As a low grade oil-mix, it isn't that bad -- as long as it didn't go for more than $25.00 a bottle. Deva too.

It's important to have some cheap oil mixes so that curious consumers don't need to make a big investment right off. Once they decide they like absinthe, they might be willing to spend more for the higher quality stuff. That's called buiding a market .

I have been there many times. I remember when Ted gave them a bottle of Nouvelle-Orléans they displayed it for years. Walk in now and there is no Nouvelle-Orléans but three bottles of crap. The Sebor has about one or two servings left, La Fee unopened and the Logan Filth is unopened. I was told personally, about a year ago, from Ted, to simply ask for the better stuff and they will certainly serve you. Knowing this, I went in and asked nicely. They were not busy. The bartender was one I had seen many times before. I am nearly 40 and dressed well - not some college kid stumbling in. They only sell Absente - no absinthe at all.

ALL this aside - I feel Ted could wake their ass up and explain 1. DO NOT LIGHT IT ON FIRE and 2. It is now legal, order some bottles and start selling it - it is the 200 year anniversary of the bar afterall. When I was living in Nola, you could ship anything in. It's one of the most relaxed cities in America. They can pretty much do whatever the hell they want.

Which bar is serving the Jades? Down on Pir. Alley?

Neither of those bars. I won't out them on a public forum either. That would be rather irresponsible. Next time you're down there, just ask around.

Keep in mind, so far Lucid is the only absinthe currently available for purchase within the U.S. (more to come), and as far as I know, it's only sold in New York and New Jersey. Techinically, they MAY be able to buy it from there ans ship it, but since it's for resale instead of personal consumption, it may not be allowed.

I'm sure that once it's available for purchase in Louisiana, the Old Absinthe house will stock it.