Swatantra

Testing the (green) water

Ahhhh. My first post. Well, you were a neophyte at one time also.

7/24/2007:

My wife's first purchase was La Muse Verte from http://www.eabsinthe.com.

A complete shot in the uninformed dark. We were in love with a new toy.

We drizzled ice water through the sugar cubes, but in retrospect it needed no sugar.

We were just fascinated with the ritual.

I have not read a review here of this Absinthe, but I would appreciate your opinion of it.

7/26/2007:

My first purchase was made upon this Society's advice ~ the excellent Jade PF 1901.

I wanted the authentic experience and it certainly was everything I expected.

Sumptuous. buttery and lovely. Spendy, though. I can't afford to do that very often.

8/19/2007:

Now I ask you, whatever possessed me to do this?:

After having already had what may be the finest Absinthe, I ordered another bottle

of La Muse Verte and a 1 liter bottle of (forgive me) Bairnsfather Bitter.

I figured, so what if it's bitter - that's what the sugar is for, right?

I should have read more of the postings here. There should be a banner for newbies

that says, "NEVER, FOR ANY REASON BUY CZECHSINTHE OF ANY KIND!"

The package has not yet arrived. I will enjoy the La muse Verte, but maybe not the Bairnsfather.

I am interested in the following criteria for my next purchase:

1. I like the 72% alcohol content.

2. It must be on the list of respected vendors found on the Society's website.

2. Since I am rapidly becoming an ardent fan but have a necessary penchant for bargains,

price is a consideration. I wish there were more fine absinthes available in the 1 liter size.

(Less glass, more liquid, less shipping cost).

I am planning to try the Mansinthe from Matter-Luginbühl. Do you have an opinion on this?

Thanks for reading this!!! More thanks for responding.

Swatantra

Welcome! :cheers:

I'll be interested in what you think of the Bairnsfather after you've tried it. No amount of sugar can cut through absinthins. I've never tasted it personally, but from what I understand, it's pretty unconventional.

Matter-Luginbühl makes good stuff, and I've seen some positive remarks on the Mansinthe, however unfortunate the name might be.

First off...Welcome to the forum! :cheers:

7/26/2007:

My first purchase was made upon this Society's advice ~ the excellent Jade PF 1901.

I wanted the authentic experience and it certainly was everything I expected.

Sumptuous. buttery and lovely. Spendy, though. I can't afford to do that very often.

Spendy...yes. Worth it...yes (some may disagree).

8/19/2007:

Now I ask you, whatever possessed me to do this?:

After having already had what may be the finest Absinthe, I ordered another bottle

of La Muse Verte and a 1 liter bottle of (forgive me) Bairnsfather Bitter.

I figured, so what if it's bitter - that's what the sugar is for, right?

I should have read more of the postings here. There should be a banner for newbies

that says, "NEVER, FOR ANY REASON BUY CZECHSINTHE OF ANY KIND!"

The package has not yet arrived. I will enjoy the La muse Verte, but maybe not the Bairnsfather.

I like the Bairnsfather and other bitters like Sebor mixed with lemon aid (1:5 ratio). It's not great, but interesting on hot summer days.

I am planning to try the Mansinthe from Matter-Luginbühl. Do you have an opinion on this?

I'm currently on LDF's waiting list for this one. It comes from a great distillery with a fine line of absinthe.

My favorite 72% is the Edouard, but it's a Jade, and pricey.

Duplais Verte is 72%. I don't know if it's as popular around here as the Duplais Balance (60%) but you can get it by the liter, and ounce for ounce it's cheaper than the Jades.

Blanche de Fougerolles is also 72%. It's an odd one, although I have a soft-spot for it because it was one of my first absinthes.

I'll be interested in what you think of the Bairnsfather after you've tried it. No amount of sugar can cut through absinthins. I've never tasted it personally, but from what I understand, it's pretty unconventional.

Matter-Luginbühl makes good stuff, and I've seen some positive remarks on the Mansinthe, however unfortunate the name might be.

I know, Mansinthe is an unfortunate name. However, if Marilyn Manson (Brian Warner) is a true

absinthophile, he certainly owns the wherewithal to dote on his pleasure to the point of nurturing its development. I know nothing about him, musically, personally or otherwise, but I respect his decision to enhance the object of our hedonistic desires. It remains to be seen if the pre-sale attention is deserved.

Welcome. :cheers:

Like T73 said we all have different preferences. I wasn't impressed by the PF1901. I was impressed by Brevans.

Welcome! :cheers: I had some very nice PF 1901 tonight in celebration of a certain event that I'm hoping T mentions in a few short hours. He's become quite good a starting those threads lately.

Welcome Aboard! :cheers:

...in retrospect it needed no sugar.

We were just fascinated with the ritual.

You know, it makes me think. Has anybody tried to make a "flavorless sugar cube" just so the no-sugars can enjoy the ritual as well as the rest of us? Or am I just being silly?

You know, it makes me think. Has anybody tried to make a "flavorless sugar cube" just so the no-sugars can enjoy the ritual as well as the rest of us? Or am I just being silly?

Reminds me of an actor/friend that spent a couple hundred dollars on his "Vanity Glasses." He didn't need corrective lens but felt the glasses gave him a much more intellectual appearance. I've known a lot of actors that could benefit from that. ;)

Seriously, when I choose not to use sugar, I still use a spoon to slow the water drops from splashing too vigorously into the absinthe. Sugar or no, the ritual remains unchanged. :cheers:

Flavorless sugar cubes. :laugh:

The Duplais Verte is excellent in my opinion, comes in 1ltr bottles and is relatively affordable. I'd try the Balance as well if I were you as it's awesome as well.

Has anybody tried to make a "flavorless sugar cube" just so the no-sugars can enjoy the ritual as well as the rest of us? Or am I just being silly?
What a great idea, and I've got the solution:

Communion wafers!

I'm interested, why the 72% ABV preference? I hope it is not just for the higher proof. I don't really think that ABV (within reason) has much to do with taste and the higher proof Absinthes require more water to dilute them to the point where they release their goodies.

What are you after?

I've seen some positive remarks on the Mansinthe, however unfortunate the name might be.

Not as unfortunate as "Pigsinthe" :)

Welcome Swatantra. For a lower priced 1 liter, i suggest François Guy. It seems to get mixed reviews but IMHO everyone should try it! Check for multi pack deals(saves shipping$$)

I have used Lion twice, but will probably try LDF next. They have many package deals, some that allow the buyer to choose from a variety.

HAVE FUN :wave2:

You were quite correct, Hiram; no amount of sugar can improve the absinthins.

It is not enjoyable.