King Junior

"Secondaries" with something other than Absinthe?

Try slivovitz-you will never know when you zonk out. You will be sittin', drinkin', still feelin' sober and suddenly: BOOM! :)

You are quite right about tequila, T :cheers: It is also very innocent at the beginning-though, I haven't given it up. (Yet).

I've always wondered if Vodka and Red Bull gives a different type of buzz. Why else would people drink that crap, uh stuff?

I had a friend who really liked drinkin' it-he was hyperexcited after five drinks (similar to amphethamine buzz). In connection with alcohol, taurine is more toxic that it normally is, hence brain desolation.

I still do not why that crap has not been banned yet. I have tried several energy-drinks and I do not detect neither taste nor alleged effects. Much healthier is any alcohol with coffee, it gives energy but causes little damage to the nervous system.

Can you site any sources on the whole damage to the nervous system thing? I had never heard of this, unless its from that Oprah special warning that kids are mixing uppers with downers. I really would like to know if I am harming myself with the occasional RB. I actually like the taste of it. Mmmm, vitamins.

Coffee works better though.

My father has taken part in a symposium organized by Cracow Medical Academy several years ago and there some professors expressed their fear as far as the coming introduction of energy-drinks was concerned (RB was the first one, soon dozens followed) as their allegedly health properties had been easily questioned and those energy-drinks that appeared first in pharmacies were removed.

The question if it is toxic is in the package (small bottle) and price (for the money they ask for RB in Poland, you are buying two 500 ml strong beers containing only natural ingredients and vitamin C).

The craze, for the time being, is over and many more people here stop buying it which is a good symptom for the future. I believe, there is no harm if you drink it from time to time, just as with various other drugs/drinks, etc.

The dose is the key and if there was virtually nothing going on in your nervous system, why would they still be printing on the can that it is prohibited to mix RB with alcohol or sedatives?

Thank you for providing the above links. After reading through them a resounding "Meh" left my mouth.

It appears these drinks contain large amounts of caffeine!

It may cause jitters and irritability!

It contains chemicals and herbs that have not been evaluated by the FDA! So they may not be safe or in fact do anything at all!

There are times that I wish the FDA would evaluate herbs, minerals, vitamins and such just so that I can really know if they are effective.

Although, if they did this, vitamin C would undoubtedly become a prescription medicine, along with any other vitamins ect. deemed useful. I will try to find the source, but I am pretty sure the USA already tried to schedule vitamins for prescription only.

From what I understand our enlightened brethren across either of the ponds have actually done tests on dietary supplements, so I am inclined to believe medical sources outside of the US. Heck, I hear better news of current events occurring both in and outside of the US from the BBC World Service. How sad is that?

PS- Reading those links made me miss ephedra a lot. MMMmmm... tastes like... the nineties!

PPS- Just did a bit of research on the whole FDA scheduling of vitamins. I got nothing, except for a handful of badly designed websites with Comic Sans as the font talking about "Codex Alimentarius". Food Code? Food Book? Sorry if I have brought psycho babble into the forum. This is what I get for listening to hippies at raves too much.

Hippie: "The FDA wants to schedule VITAMINS, man!"

Me: "That sucks! Want a back massage?"

I read something more recent about the energy drinks, here: http://www.beachbody.com/jump.jsp?itemID=6...WSLETTER_ISSUES

Newsletter # 267, if the link doesn't work right.

An excerpt:

Caffeine is cheap, as is coffee, and the average cup of coffee has three times more caffeine than the average energy drink. There are whole Web sites set up to help you do the math on this. One such site, Energyfiend.com, lists the milligrams of caffeine per ounce contained in each energy drink. The more commercial brands, like Rockstar and Red Bull, have far less than some of the more esoteric brands. But nothing, except the one-ounce caffeine shots, beats a good old cup o' joe.

While the above-listed ingredients are the flagship ingredients of promotion, they aren't added in amounts that are effective. If you like the science behind taurine or inositol, you're better off buying it in bulk and then drinking plain coffee or tea.

I've experienced the "absinthe effect" with a spirit that contained only fennel distillate.

Oh, amusing.

I just infused about a pint of brandy with wild fennel flowers, leaves, and seeds for a bitters project I'm working on.

It is very fennel-i-rific.

I kind of doubt I could drink any thing near a significant amount of it...

I've experienced the "absinthe effect" with a spirit that contained only fennel distillate.

Dagnabit! I have been debating/wondering/wishing for years to try a fennel-heavy/fennel-based alcoholic beverage.

So, Hiram... where does one find one of these?

I still do not why that crap has not been banned yet. I have tried several energy-drinks and I do not detect neither taste nor alleged effects.

You mean Taurine? Um, because banning taurine would ban... meat. Taurine is in lots of naturally occuring stuff, often in large quantities.

Ever wonder why you can't feed a cat a vegan diet? Yup. Taurine.

Oh, amusing.

I just infused about a pint of brandy with wild fennel flowers, leaves, and seeds for a bitters project I'm working on.

It is very fennel-i-rific.

I kind of doubt I could drink any thing near a significant amount of it...

Interesting. I am very interested in making bitters. Are you oaking the brandy or is it unaged?

What abv is the brandy? Care to post your recipe? Since you are local I'd like to try yours and would be happy to share some of what I end up with as well.

Interesting. I am very interested in making bitters. Are you oaking the brandy or is it unaged?

What abv is the brandy? Care to post your recipe? Since you are local I'd like to try yours and would be happy to share some of what I end up with as well.

Sure!

A friend was talking about working up a bitters exchange this fall.

My plan is to accumulate various essences and then combine them, so I don't have a recipe yet.

So far I have plant and flower infusions from wild fennel, two perennial marigolds (Tagetes lemmonii and nelsonii), Sagebrush (Artemisia californica), and Meyer Lemon peel. I'm also planning on California Bay (Umbellularia californica) and maybe some others.

My favorite, so far, is the combination of flowers and leaves from the Marigolds.

~Erik