One thing I noticed was that it's base spirit is beet. I wonder if that could have any significant influence on the final product in comparison to a grain, cane, or grape-based spirit?

It depends. With grape alcohol as a base, it adds a flavor profile to absinthe not found in grain or beet spirits. It isn't better or worse, just another flavor profile. Keep in mind, absinthes made with grain or beet alcohol will allow any flaws in herbs or process to become more apparent due to that none of the "masking" flavor of the grape alcohol will be present.

Agreed; I feel it as a certain smoothness when it comes from grape (or other fruit) spirit that hasn't been rectified to neutrality.

Beet, grain, grape, cherry, it doesn't seem to matter once you get it up over 92 or 93 percent.

Be alert! No need to quote the post immediately above yours.
Be aloof; there are enough bloody lerts. ;)

Beet, grain, grape, cherry, it doesn't seem to matter once you get it up over 92 or 93 percent.

That's easier said than done easy without the aid of those ubiquitous little pills when you're old, you know. :laugh:

Well, I hate to try and bring this topic back on target, but I picked up a bottle of Lucid on the local liquor store shelf a couple of weeks ago and me and my absinthe partner in crime tried it.

He liked it more than I did. I found it pretty boring, all in all, but he managed to find some character that escaped my taste buds. It wasn't a real taste test, and we didn't really observe it all that closely, but the best I could say for it is that I would try it again. It had none of the complexities of the Jades, or even the Montmarte. We'll definitely have to have another pour real soon.

I don't have enough experience to offer a proper critique, but from what I am currently tasting, I'd have to describe Lucid as "light" compared to the Clandestine La Bleue--the anise is strong, and while I can smell the "dark wheat" flavor of (what I think is) the fennel, I cannot taste it. Overall, it doesn't seem to have the same "mouth-feel" I experienced with the Clandestine.

Still, it's good, and I'm feeling pretty happy at the moment, so it gets a thumbs up from The Fat Man. :thumbup:

I am also a newbie to absinthe and have tried Lucid. (I know this thread has been running for quite a while, and have the attention span of a 2 yr. old! I'm sorry if I repeat anything past page 2.)

I have found that Lucid tastes a lot like the bowl of herbs that you can chew on after a good Indian dinner. I know that it has anise seeds and little candies in it and a bunch of other herbs. I am sure there is better absinthe out there, but I do have to agree that it has a $$ appeal for someone that is not an expert in the flavor of absinthe.

It is not bad and I expect that I will be purchasing other brands to try soon.

If you enjoyed Lucid, I think exploring some of the nicer varieties technically available only in Europe is probably worth your time.

My first absinthes were Jade Edouard and Roquette 1797, and I think I got spoiled on them, since Lucid just tastes pretty alright to me. Since I excel in providing unsolicited advice, I think Duplias Balance or Verte might be good for a notch up in quality and still have a pretty good value. If you try the Verte, I definitely recommend letting it breathe for a few days (actually I'd recommend that for any absinthe), since you might find it quite a bit bolder than Lucid. But of course, there's always the handy review guide.

Happy exploring and keep that county from gettin' too dry! :drunk:

In some Indian restaurants they have a bowl of multicolored, candied fennel seeds which you can grab a spoonful of and crunch on after dinner. Sort of like the peppermints in American restaurants.

And these are put in Lucid? Candy and all?

On another note. Tried it. Better than la Tourment Verte. We are soo shor on options this side of the pond. Although I can't wait to see more American absinthes come out of the wormwood... er woodwork... This could turn out as well for us as our beer revolution has.

I have found that Lucid tastes a lot like the bowl of herbs that you can chew on after a good Indian dinner. I know that it has anise seeds and little candies in it and a bunch of other herbs.

Dude.

Yeah, you did. Nobody said they put candies in except me, and I was being sarcastic. Jen wasn't commenting on any ingredients in Lucid, just comparing some of its flavours to something she's familiar with.

Had not touched my bottle of Lucid in a few weeks due to having many other brands to try, but I have about a 1/4 bottle left and opened it tonight to have a glass. I was surprised to find most of the color is gone, and I had a couple floaties.

Pretty much the same here. the color wasn't as gone as your's but when I emptied the bottle into a glass it was cloudy and a few floaties.

The thing about sea monkeys and that stuff on the bottom of the bottle that is so very fine is that you may see it but and not taste it. If I can see it, I try to taste it and my mind makes me think I can "feel" it on my tongue.

After the louche it was kind of grayish green. An unpleasant looking louche that resembled a bad cold but it tasted like Lucid, not the cold part. ;)

I have a 1/4 bottle of VdF that's a couple years old and it has the same stuff. I gave the bottle a shake and the scuzz almost disapeared. Neat stuff!

Must be exposure to atmosphere. I have several bottles around that only have a drink or three left that I purposely set aside to see what happens.

Like I say, it's the simple things I enjoy. :cheers:

Just finished our fourth bottle of Lucid, it has been on shelf in the dark for about three weeks and it lost some color also. However did not have any floaties, we enjoy this absinthe even if it is considered below par by some folks. Also I have developed a taste for ST. George, really can't believe that but it sure got better after being on the shelf for a while.