For the record this is a review from a person who doesn't have a sophisticated palate, and is completely new to drinking absinthe.

Last Saturday, 8/18/07, I drank some Lucid Absinthe that I purchased 8/9/07 from a liquor store down the street from my job (Park Ave. Liquors). I figured I'd be drinking about 3-4 drinks for the night, and wanted to try it different ways.

First way was the old sugar cube-slotted spoon-"fountain" drip method. What I used for a fountain was this (http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/41KZ1ZQGFFL._AA280_.jpg), a Christmas gift that I thought I'd never use, and had to search into the back of my closet to find for this occasion. The Lucid was a pale/light green in color when poured into the glass. As I dripped the water over the sugar cube (slowly, ending in a 2-1 water/lucid ratio), it did louche and became a great milky green color. Awesome looking color. As I have no frame of reference to other absinthes, it did give me the "absinthe" green I was looking for. Now for taste. For my uneducated-palate-having-opinion, it smelled like green Nyquil and tasted like Good and Plenty. Admitedly I'm not a huge fan of liquorice, so I didn't find the taste all that pleasing, but it wasn't offensive either. It tasted like Good and Plenty or watered down green Nyquil.

Second way I had it was as a "Death in the Afternoon" cocktail. One shot of Lucid Absinthe in a champagne flute, and filled the rest with Korbel "champagne". This drink I liked better. The flavor of the Korbel mellowed the "liquorice" flavor and allowed for me to enjoy the drink more. So much more that I had another one immediately afterwards.

While I know there has been a lot of hype with Absinthe, I have to say that I really didn't feel drunk/buzzed at all, was quite "lucid" (pun intended) in my thoughts and conversations. I'll definately try it again next weekend, with more being consumed to see if it is truly a "lucid" high/drunk or not.

Edited by King Junior

Welcome!

Why don't you pop on over to the Newcomer Intro thread and tell us about yourself. :cheers:

Also, head on over to the main site, and post a formal review of Lucid. We'd love to have it!

You might also consider watering it down more. Sometimes a bit more water can bring a tipping point where the other herbs are more balances with the anise.

I generally drink a 4:1 and rarely go bellow 3:1 as it seems I miss the more intricate flavors.

Ari, normally I agree with you - except with the Lucid. Watering at my normal ratio, it tastes way watered down to me. This is the only absinthe I drink about 2:1.

While I know there has been a lot of hype with Absinthe, I have to say that I really didn't feel drunk/buzzed at all, was quite "lucid" (pun intended) in my thoughts and conversations. I'll definately try it again next weekend, with more being consumed to see if it is truly a "lucid" high/drunk or not.

Congratulations, you've now experienced absinthe's much-hyped "secondary effects"!

You had the equivalent of six to seven shots of standard 80-proof (that is, 40%) vodka in a short period, and didn't feel drunk/buzzed.

Huh? Yes. Three shots of Lucid at 62% alcohol = 4.5 shots of vodka, roughly, plus two doses of Korbel (alcohol content of one glass wine = one oz. vodka) = 6.5 shots vodka equivalent.

It's not a hallucinogen. The effect is just a more alert intoxication.

Enjoy!

Congratulations, you've now experienced absinthe's much-hyped "secondary effects"!

You had the equivalent of six to seven shots of standard 80-proof (that is, 40%) vodka in a short period, and didn't feel drunk/buzzed.

Huh? Yes. Three shots of Lucid at 62% alcohol = 4.5 shots of vodka, roughly, plus two doses of Korbel (alcohol content of one glass wine = one oz. vodka) = 6.5 shots vodka equivalent.

It's not a hallucinogen. The effect is just a more alert intoxication.

Enjoy!

So the question is, what causes the "secondary effects"?

Ah, the age old question.

I think you'll see that most people 'round heeya agree that it is due to a combination of all of the herbs involved, including anise and fennel. Both of which contain anethole (or Trans-anethole), which is a stimulant, amongst other things.

*edited to provide clarity and remove a confusing remark.

Ari, normally I agree with you - except with the Lucid. Watering at my normal ratio, it tastes way watered down to me.
I'm with Alyssa. 1:2 or 1:3 at the most.

King, Lucid is pretty sweet, so you might want to try it without sugar next time. You might find it less syrupy, if no less licorce-y.

Hang on that bottle, in any case. You can always make Sazeracs!

Shabba!?! What's with this "mildly addictive" business? (*This question was in response to Shabba's claim — now deleted — that absinthe is "mildly addictive" to adults, and "lethally addictive" to children and pets.) I must say, that's a first to these ears. Unless you mean "addictive" in the sense that coffee or carbs can be addictive.

King, you must be really sensitive to anise/ licorice. I can taste a little in Lucid, but can barely smell it at all.

...or alcohol.
:shock:

Brooks: 'tis exactly right. Edited to clarify.
Good deal. And to help people make sense of your edit, I've annotated my previous post.

King, you must be really sensitive to anise/ licorice. I can taste a little in Lucid, but can barely smell it at all.

You're probably right. As a kid I HATED green Nyqil, only could drink the red "cherry" version. And I was never a fan of black jelly beans, black liquorice (licorice?), and still hate Jaegermeister.

Edited by King Junior

You should find the anise (licorice) flavor in absinthe to be very palatable once you're accustom to it. I've never been a fan of black licorice or jager myself, but after the first two or three times i had absinthe i loved the stuff.

As a kid I HATED green Nyqil, only could drink the red "cherry" version. And I was never a fan of black jelly beans, black liquorice (licorice?), and still hate Jaegermeister.

Why were you drinking Nyqil as a kid? Didn't your dad have an extra beer you could've pinched? ;)

You only need to drink Nyqil eight or ten times to acquire a taste for it. After that I never had any problems finishing a whole bottle.

Did I say Nyqil? Embarrassing!

I meant Robitussin.

King, Lucid is pretty sweet, so you might want to try it without sugar next time. You might find it less syrupy, if no less licorce-y.

No question, at least for me. I tried a glass of Lucid last night with sugar. Too, too sweet!

I'm not so certain I agree with the over-watering discussion. 2-to-1 is pretty strong and 3-to-1 doesn't allow for the other herbs to open up. I'm wondering if the "Less Water" contingent is looking to make up for the reduced anise? At 4-to-1, I was particularly aware of a fairly good Wormwood punch last night.

I personally would not reccomend Lucid, but palates run differently. I think it tastes alright at first, but finishes reallly nasty. Like mold. A dry mold - if that makes any sense. It is a weird taste I can't even seem to scrape off my tongue for hours.

Why didn't they just put the Jades forward? I would have thought you'd want to get the best in first so people tasting it for the first time would not think "this tastes like mould, I don't like absinthe". Or maybe Lucid was made for the 'American palate', and since we've all be drinking absinthe where the anise isn't shy we'd think it tastes weird.

King - Did you use ice-water? The first time I had absinthe I used water from the fridge and the taste was pretty flat.

Dakini - My 'soon' is a month or two.

I would strongly recommend Lucid...until a better absinthe is available in the US. No, it's not as good as many European choices but it is equal to and better than many others. $60 including shipping is one hell of an argument for it. I think it currently wins hands down in the "Bang for your Buck" category, is a fine "first" sold in America absinthe and generally a very good if not totally exceptional absinthe. It's not as good as the Jades but I think it's better than most Un Emiles.

In my opinion I would buy a bottle of Arak before spending my money on a bottle of Lucid. Lucid is worth a taste but not a bottles worth.

I use Lucid as an introductory absinthe. If people like it, they can try other things.

If the people are inexperienced and don't care for it, I'm not out much $$$.

It's genuine if nothing else.

In my opinion I would buy a bottle of Arak before spending my money on a bottle of Lucid.

That's a good opinion, too.

I like Arak but it's not absinthe.