• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hartsmar

hartsmar

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:05 PM

So, all those of you who know Swedish can finally find a review of the first Swedish book on absinthe.
I have just uploaded it to my site and by going to the first page you'll get a pop-up with links to the full review in Swedish as a PDF.

If you have blocked pop-ups, there's a link in the news-list to the right.

Trevlig läsning!

http://www.absinthe.se/

...for those of you who do NOT know Swedish I can give it all away - it wasn't very good. What a surprise.
Der blitze ist an der flachtmatuche

#2 Mindshifter

Mindshifter

Headspace clearing

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:27 AM

:cheers: Bravo, well done! I've been waiting for your comments on this crap book since it hit the shelves.
I composed a long email to the author with lots of notations much like yours; at many times they are almost identical to your corrections. This guy got almost everything so wrong... Such a pity that the first book about absinthe in our language would end up being this bad. Remarkable, really, how myths and untruths survive despite the availability today of results from modern, accurate research in this field.

Did you manage to get your review published in any of the newspapers? Have you got any respons from the author himself? I'm curious what he has to say about it all.
The absinthe extends life, the absinthe expands consciousness, the absinthe is vital to space travel.

#3 hartsmar

hartsmar

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:37 PM

I have composed an email to him in response to his kind note on his newly released book...

The review will be sent to various papers and I hope it'll do some good.

#4 hartsmar

hartsmar

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:54 PM

A did the review, the author - no surprise - didn't quite agree with me and wrote comments back, I published those on my website. I now have a rebuttal which is published today.

For those of you who understand Swedish - enjoy...

http://www.absinthe....Myt_respons.pdf

#5 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,555 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:20 PM

For those of you who understand Swedish - enjoy...

That would be Mindshifter, but thanks, anyway, buddy! :tongue:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#6 Mindshifter

Mindshifter

Headspace clearing

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:39 PM

Me, and a couple others – whizz, Gertz, Preacher, Spiderprint and probably some more.

Awesome reading. Once again a very thorough exposition, Markus.
It will be even more interesting this time to read his reply (if he dares to make one – hopefully he has the sense to realise now that the best thing for him to do, to save his skin, is to request burning of all of the publishing house's remaning books).

:cheers:
The absinthe extends life, the absinthe expands consciousness, the absinthe is vital to space travel.

#7 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:57 PM

I really want to read this. I'm probably going to go over it with a Swedish-English dictionary.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#8 SethP

SethP

• PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:40 PM

Thanks for your review of this Swedish book Absinthe - Sanning och myt (Truth and Myth in English) and the pdf files. As a newbie on absinthe I saw this book a couple of weeks ago and I almost bought it, believing it would perhaps give me some more insight and understanding in both the cultural phenomena and maybe both old and new research or studies.

But there was something odd with the book. I almost got the (rather quick) impression that the author, Tomas Lindmark, is maybe against all sorts of alcoholic spirits or drinks?

From your review (and from the pdf's) I've now been enlightened enough to avoid the book. At least until I perhaps want to buy it for quite another reason, for it's real purpose, as a kind of curiosity. (I believe it is the proper word for "kuriosa" in English?)

So.. Once again: Tack så mycket för både recensionen och pdf-filerna, Hartsmar!
:worshippy:

Top five brands so far:

Libertine 72 - for the low price and because it can be diluted really well | Jade (PF) 1901 - this is a winner but also quite an expensive brand (can also be well diluted though) | Duplais Balance - very tasty indeed and for quite a time my favourite | Mansinthe - which I find a little bit more "spicy" than others, but with no downsides | Valkyria - perhaps a tad too much star anise, but.. because I'm Swedish ;-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association