Hunnibunni

Lucid marketing mess

Campaigne for Real Ale

- 26.6% of pints are more than 5% short measure

- Short measure costs consumers £481 million a year, or over £1.3 million a day

- Pubs serve customers 208 million more pints than they buy in

Kind of a universal problem I suspect.

Thanks Gimpy.

Boggy, in Spain it's similar to Poland, I guess. When you order something like a Jameson and Coke, or a Gin and Tonic, they put 3-4 ice cubes in a Zombie glass, and pour in the liquor until you tell them to stop. Then they give you a small bottle of Coke or Tonic alongside it.

This was my wife's G&T. She made sure to tell them to stop ASAP.

DSCN0240.JPG

Last time we went with Doyle, we measured it at a few places. They averaged 4-5 ounces for a single drink. Most other European countried I've been to are similar to the U.S. in serving amounts.

Seems to be so :cheers: A nice measure of gin and the best Tonic water to go with.

I remember ordering G&T exactly that way, if sometimes in the menu, it is printed what is the measure of gin and what is the measure of tonic if they are to bring the ready drink (10cl of tonic and 4cl of gin in expensive bars, 5cl of gin or a "generous" measure plus one 20cl bottle of Schweppes to pour for yourself).

In expensive bars, G&T costs 3.6 USD, in cheaper ones-around 2 USD, so slightly less than regular (50cl) beer.

If you order a pitcher (up to 150cl) with a spirit, they will bring the desired mixer on ice in a pitcher and a small 20cl bottle of the spirit, with glass(es) and you can make your own drinks, then. The price might be a bit high-as if you ordered 35cl of the spirit alone but it depends.

For example, four shots of Kamikaze=20cl as a whole cost exactly the same as one "Cuba Libre" (5cl of Bacardi, 2cl of lime juice, rest-Coke) (approximately 5 USD, in Warsaw it might be even 8.3 USD).

I've never ordered a "shot of wine". If I did, I'd expect the shitty stuff I'd be served to cost no more than $5. That's for sure.

I normally order wines by the bottle or by the glass. SHOTS of wine?

Only in Poland I tell you!

No, no, little misunderstanding :) Shots as referred to spirits, wine is of course sold in a glass (100-125 ml), carafe (250-500 ml), or by bottle.

Here, Markus, you have the most common range of shot glasses used in Poland:

dsc01616sz1.th.jpg

1. Vintage 18th/19th CE vodka glass-50 ml, rarely used

2. Shot glass used in the years 1945-1989-100 ml

3. Modern shot glass, found usually in Polish bars-50 ml

4. The same, if even more modern and less popular-50 ml

5,6,7. Three examples of liqueur or sampling glasses, first two are from 60's-70's, last one is modern-20-30 ml

I have a set of four glasses extremely similar to the one on the far left. Same size, too. Got them at Salvation Army.

You mean 1.? Could you post the pic, so we could compare? Mine are 12 cm tall. Diameter: 4 cm.

Mine are slightly bigger. 13cm tall, 4.5cm wide at the mouth. Looking closely yours seems slightly more shallow and wider at the bottom of the bowl.

sampleglass.jpg

If these below are my favourite-colourful, happy, positive energy-bringers, spring/summer messengers and unusual, the bigger is 45 ml, the smaller is 35 ml. That style appeared in the early 90's; nowadays, it is not that easy to get them.

dsc01617af0.th.jpg

I like yours :cheers: Seems to be almost the same glass-line. You are not sure what they might be used for, what do you use them for?

I've been using them to let people sample things. When someone wants to sample a beer or mead I'm making I use them. They're also good for small tastes of absinthe (1cl louched 3:1). I got the set of four for $2.99.

That was a real bargain! Beer and mead samples, nice idea.

For sampling I am using these with gold-lining on the bowl, they go well with high-proof spirits, the smell, taste, texture are easily detected and as they are quite small, the sampling of various types of such spirits may last longer.

I have 10 glasses of that kind, so for one person, ten different samples may be given, with each sample=15 ml.

Another Lucid thought: I found that Borisal Liquors in Brooklyn 'ships worldwide' so I ordered some Lucid after much fuss with the July shipment and some website problems, but everything eventually fell into place... until Canada Customs found my package and has been holding it for over two weeks, claiming "Customs delay". I had Borisal label the shipment 'glassware' and it seems I've been found out. I'm not sure what's going to happen now. Best case scenario - I get the package. Worst - I get fined, and have to pay to have it sent back. What a bummer. :thumbdown:

Well, there's a reason that other vendors, like LdF and so forth, won't ship to Canada. So I suppose there's your sign.

I don't think the FDA has authority in Canada . . . and absinthe has been legal there for quite some time, anyway.

However, shipping alcohol, because it burns, is generally illegal everywhere. Canadian customs would just as quickly confiscate a bottle of Jack Daniels, or Everclear.