Hunnibunni

Lucid marketing mess

OK- so I know I havent been on here very much but I assure you I have been imbibing & tasting since my last visit (currently tasting an Emile :cheers: )

After deciding to spend the weekend in NYC I made a list of places carrying Lucid. After waiting all day to enter the hortel bar for my nightcap, 1st they claimed not to have it. After being pressured, two barkeeps looked a little bit harder & found it. Priced at $18 per glass. :thumbdown:

I have been to some of the most exclusive clubs in town & NO ONE is sampling the hard to find, relatively unknown liquor, in these places for (I kid you not) - $18 per glass

Whomever the marketing team is on this is not doing absinthe fans any favors. They have to push harder in this market against the vodka- flavor- of- the- month- town of NYC and thinking they can jump up against the Veuve Clicquot or Hennesy crowd without better advertising/marketing WITHIN the bar is just remiss of good sense.

Anyway, that off my chest, I will hope & pray someone with good sense reads this & rethinks the re-emergence of absinthe marketing in the US. Now off to finish my Emile :)

I understand markups and such in the whole bar scene, but $18 for a shot or two of Lucid and water? I realize drinks cost a bit more in NYC than other places, but is it just me, or is something amiss?

Pffft! At least you can go to a bar and enjoy a glass of absinthe. If I want a glass, I have to go....uh, home? Oh, never mind. ;)

Hotels and many other bars have high costs and need to make high margins. To know whether this price is out-of-line, it would be interesting to know what hotel it was and what were the prices of other drinks, especially of other drinks that also cost around $60 retail.

It's still a much better deal than in a top London hotel: The Connaught charges £10.50 for a La Fée and £12.50 for Hill's!

Haha, wow, 18 a glass. I was not expecting that.

Is it the high wholesale/retail value, or is it just that its rather limited in quantity at the moment?

Placing a high price point on an item can make many people believe it to be of higher quality. Depending on how exclusive the club is, the higher it can get away with pricing. Plus, high prices keep out the riff-raff. I cant say the venues in question are practicing the former or the latter without knowing a few more comparable prices. Keep in mind that if someone where to put Bud ICE beer into exotic looking bottles, get a few pictures of a celebrity enjoying it at an after party, and sell it for five dollars a bottle wholesale, people that could afford it (the not very bright ones at least) would drink nothing but that product for as long as it was fashionable. One must remember that just because one is rich, one may not also be wise.

Is Cristal really worth $350? This is an honest question as I have never tried it.

I also believe that if one could find a find quality Absinthe for five bucks at any grocer in any country in the world it would lack much of its draw. Could you imagine a Wild Irish Rose forum?

It appears I'm ranting. I just got off of work and I am angry at the world. It will all be better in the morrow.

...wait. Today is tomorrow... but it was just yesterday! I hate third shift.

Edited by Poor

Ok, $18.00 a glass aside, why did you have to twist the bartender's arm to sell it to you. Sounds like not only did they not really care to move it, they didn't even know that they had it. I don't suppose you had any. I would be curious to know how they intended to serve it.

Is Cristal really worth $350?

Absolutely not.

If you want to try a champagne in that range, go for a great vintage Krug Clos de Mesnil, like 1983 or 1995.

Oops, I just the prices on those two, and they're both more than double that $350...when Tish and I got a bottle of the '83 to celebrate the coming millennium, it was a mere $275. Anyway, it's far more than twice as good as Cristal. In fact, it's as sublime as champagne gets, so if you're ever in the mood to splurge, that's the way to go.

Sounds like Lucid needs to do some marketing.

If they were smart they would take a page from other companies hold "absinthe parties" at a few different bars clubs. Send some reps that know the drink and know how to prepare it, and either give it away or sell it for cheap. Throw in a few obligatory models and get people aware of the product.

Absolutely not.

If you want to try a champagne in that range, go for a great vintage Krug Clos de Mesnil, like 1983 or 1995.

1995 Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame Rosé

Get a bottle!

Not too bad considering some of the other top shelf prices of alcohol at bars. I was in South Lake Tahoe a few weekends ago, and bought 3 shots of Grand Marnier for me and two friends. My jaw dropped when the bartender gave me the bill for $24. For those 3 shots, I could have purchased the bottle it came out of at the store. Sounds like the Lucid is relatively priced.

I wonder what the typical bartender is going to think of having to prepare a Lucid for someone during a busy night. Maybe the bartenders are hiding the bottle themselves.

:drunk: I just bring my flask and order a glass of ice water with a sprig of mint and wait till no ones looking, drink half the water and filler up with ...............

Every bar simply needs one of those ceramic fountains we used to have listed here. (But I can't seem to find them on the site anymore.) Then everyone will ask "What's that?" "It's an absinthe fountain, ma'am".

Instant sale of an absinthe: except to those who want to set it on fire with their Bic.

Absolutely not.

1995 Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame Rosé

Get a bottle!

Funny, I was at the store earlier and I thought of this Cristal topic while looking at the champagnes -- and I looked at the Veuve Clicquot and was thinking how that champagne is what I buy when I want a good champagne. It's always very good and reasonably priced.

I wonder what the typical bartender is going to think of having to prepare a Lucid for someone during a busy night. Maybe the bartenders are hiding the bottle themselves.

No worse than making a real mojito, or any of about a dozen other labor-intensive drinks.

Throw in a few obligatory models and get people aware of the product.

Great. The Lucid Girls. That'll show 'em we gots klass! 1174358810_1174f3bd9f_m.jpg

Every bar simply needs one of those ceramic fountains we used to have listed here. Then everyone will ask "What's that?" "It's an absinthe fountain, ma'am".
Right. Most people have never seen an absinthe fountain, and if you're sitting at the bar, you'll ask about it.

No worse than making a real mojito
Start the drip, stop the drip. Easier than drawing a Guinness.

Great. The Lucid Girls. That'll show 'em we gots klass!
The eyes are the windows of the soul. How often I've said it.

There are few absinthes and even fewer drinks I would pay $18 a glass for. I saw a very nice ceramic fountain not too long ago, ironically it was at the same place where I had a few doses that certainly tasted as though they were worth $18 each, if not more. They were quite nice.

My cousin from Boston was in NYC recently, so I sent him to Kobe (W. 58th St.) for a Lucid. Nice place, but they charge $18 also. They break out a fountain, as you can see. I understand it attracted some attention from the clients. Here's a pic (note the glasses):

post-831-1187581581_thumb.jpg

That is a great picture.

I wonder who controls the drippage at these Lucid-serving bars — customer or bartender? The water-to-absinthe ratio is so personal.

It looks like they get to control everything, i.e. sugar, drip rate, and volume of water. Maybe one of them has a bit too much water already though.

In Las Vegas there are plenty of places that charge 18 bucks or close to it for a mixed drink, so I can see that here. At least for now, for the novelty factor. Maybe that's what they were counting on when they set the price.