Sign in to follow this  
Brian Robinson

Glass and Spoon

Still looking for the makers mark, the only really important thing.
I like Wild Turkey, myself.

I would imagine an autobiography of Spoon would contain mostly detailed descriptions of his drawers and boxers, perhaps a lurid affair with a bottle or two of pre-ban.
He goes by a different screen name at the WS.

...Ehem...

You lucky bastid.

...goshigotacold...

Chicago is horrible for antiques, everybody knows the value of what they have.

Damn, quite the find for this area. Several years ago I hit every antique shop in Richmond looking for that undiscovered treasure. I'm still looking.

Poor- I picked up a slightly post-Belle Epoque, price-marked, bistro saucer at POSH a couple of years ago. They were already cashing in on the new found popularity of absinthe, and it was priced as such.

Just picked up these two pieces today in Old Town Alexandria in a French Country Antique store.

I'd love some info on the stamp, if anyone has an idea.

post-669-1187217705_thumb.jpg

post-669-1187217714_thumb.jpg

post-669-1187217723_thumb.jpg

post-669-1187217730.jpg

At close inspection, the lettering is J G along the top, the the last four along the bottom seem to be S.G.D.G.

I have found this stamp on page 160 of MCD spoon catalogue. I hate you too

I stopped by Alexandria today and picked me up one of those spoons too. Same style with the same stamp on it. It was paired with a glass that, while somewhat similar to absinthe glasses, was out of proportion (the diameter was too big to set the spoon on). They wanted $75 for the set, I got just the spoon for $35.

Losanges #4? The stamp on the manche is that of Guelon.

Not Guelon's stamp.

I couldn't find that J G in the directory of french stamps.

Sure Oscar. What she says in her book is "several stamps exist on that spoon included Guelon's" and you can see the picture of Guelon's stamp next to the text with a few others (G.C GG and JG).

Guelon's stamp is "Guelon" only.

Commissioned work from a silversmith in Kansas City.

Funny thing about it. When I commissioned her, she came up with the wormwood leaf design on her own, since most of her stuff is botanical in nature. Was amazing how she could come up with a leaf design so similar to Kirk's without knowing anything at all about absinthe.

We're still working out the kinks on the functionality, but they should be done soon. I brought them to the TotC to get some feedback from everyone at the farewell dinner. I think we got a lot of good suggestions that will ultimately lead to something very special.