Sign in to follow this  
Brian Robinson

Glass and Spoon

Just picked up these two pieces today in Old Town Alexandria in a French Country Antique store.

I'd love some info on the stamp, if anyone has an idea.

DSCN0647.JPG

DSCN0648.JPG

Wednesday__August_15__2007.jpg

Wednesday__August_15__2007__2_.jpg

At close inspection, the lettering is J G along the top, the the last four along the bottom seem to be S.G.D.G.

Brooks doesn't need more spoons.

Brooks does need a nice glass.

Thank you for posting this. The initials on the spoon are easy enough to decode.

Translated from the French, "J G" means Just the Glass.

"S. G. D. G." means Send the God Damned Glass.

Where? To Brooks, s.v.p., et merci! Will PM my address. :wave2:

I hate you. ;)

Ditto. ;)

Why can't I find cool stuff like this near me? I have tons of antique stores nearby. They're full of rusty old plows and old Dr. Pepper bottles though.

I'm surprised antique absintheware is still showing up in stores, at least in the US. I'd have thought the big collectors would have rounded it all up by now.

Has anyone ever seen a New Orleans spoon? You'd think there would be some floating around somewhere. Or maybe they were all imported.

The honest truth is, I was kidding about the glass, although I do like it very much. I've collected about as much as I'm going to collect.

I don't recognize the hallmark right off the bat, if that is what it is. I have only dealt with UK marks before. Ill do a little digging.

First things first S.G.D.G stands for "Sans Garantie du Gouvernement". It is indeed French. Could you describe the mark that comes before that acronym? I cant quite make them out in the picture.

I'm stumped. Thats about all I can tell you. Without a proper makers mark book I can't find who the mark belongs to. What looks like SIL next to S.G.D.G may perhaps indicate Nickel Silver. I'm sure someone else on the forum can be of more help.

Good luck!

Edited by Poor

Ah! That gives me a better picture and more to dig with. Away I go!

Update- The Bte stands for "Brevete". It is akin to 'Patent' or 'Copyright'.

Still looking for the makers mark, the only really important thing.

Edited by Poor

I hate you. ;)

Ditto. ;)

Why can't I find cool stuff like this near me? I have tons of antique stores nearby. They're full of rusty old plows and old Dr. Pepper bottles though.

You live in North East TN?

Sweet find.

I give up. The internet is horrible with these things. In short, its French and its old and the government at the time did not guarantee its effectiveness. I'm sure the story of how the spoon got from France to your neck of the woods would be an interesting one... unless it traveled from France to New Orleans to a basement to another basement to an antique store. I would imagine an autobiography of a spoon would contain mostly detailed descriptions of drawers and boxes, perhaps a lurid affair with a bottle or two of pre-ban.

If you don't mind, how much did you pay for the set?

Edited by Poor

$50 for the set. The owner of the antique store was a wonderful French woman in her 70's I would guess. So, maybe she's got some contacts or her family brought over a bunch of stuff when they moved here.

Judging by what I've seen on Oxy's store, I got a pretty good deal, but I bought them more for the novelty of being able to find these here in the DC area.

I'll be going back this weekend again. Maybe I could get some history from her.

You may want to upload the picture here;

I tried searching but didn't find anything, I figure someone there may have an idea of what it could be.

Give me a day Shabba. I'll have to go through L'ABSINTHE, LES CUILERÈS BY MARIE-CLAUDE DELAHAYE

to get you the spoon halmark.

That really is a nice set. I love the glasses that have that shape inside; wish I had one. I have a friend who found a spoon in an antique store here. It was labeled "Toy Cake Server".

Just picked up these two pieces today in Old Town Alexandria in a French Country Antique store.
Sweet!!
Brooks doesn't need more spoons.

Brooks does need a nice glass.

Thank you for posting this. The initials on the spoon are easy enough to decode.

Translated from the French, "J G" means Just the Glass.

"S. G. D. G." means Send the God Damned Glass.

:laf: Brilliant.
$50 for the set.
I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

$50 for the set. Judging by what I've seen on Oxy's store, I got a pretty good deal...
Uh.....YAH.

I don't begrudge Oxy his prices. Having gotten burned twice on eBay, I'd sooner pay a little more than get ripped off.