TheSixthRing

Absinthe on a Budget: An Oxymoron?

If I was short cash I would being buying arak until I saved enough to order a decent bottle of Absinthe. Considering how thin Lucid is.... The bottle may not last you as long as long as a similar sized bottle from other sources.

Chris is right, the big bottle of blanchette is a good deal.

Serpis is always cheap too.

Just placed my order, hours after convincing myself I didn't need to spend my money on such an expensive drink. I guess I'm officially addicted.

1 70cl Mansinthe

2 1L Duplais Verte (one for my brother)

1 50cl Duplais Balance

1 20cl Jade Edouard

1 20cl Jade NO

I went through Lion, since it came out less than ldf considering the number of bottles I purchased. In the end, it's just not possible; absinthe on a budget is an oxymoron.

Edited by TheSixthRing

Keep reminding yourself that absinthe averages out to about $5.00 - $7.00 per drink. You can't order a martini in a major US city nowadays for under $10.00.

Let's face it: you can't afford not to drink absinthe.

I like the way you think, Brooks. Give that man a cocktail on the house!
:wave2:
And you don't even get a real Martini for that $10.
Exactly. You're better off buying something dirt-cheap and real, such as absinthe.

I agree. Have a taste of it fresh tonight, then set it aside and try again tomorrow night to see how the flavor has changed with the aging.

Pan Buh makes an important point. Absinthes do change after opening, often becoming mellower and rounder.

Peridot's raves about Brevans convinced me to buy a bottle. I wasn't crazy about the first glass — found it harsh. Two days later I had another glass, and couldn't believe it was the same absinthe. The edges had vanished, and it was smooth and delicious. (Thanks, Peri. :cheers: )

I agree with the some-now-some-later approach. Why deprive yourself? You deserve it. You've already waited 5-7 days for it to arrive! :cheers:

Perigord's raves about Brevans convinced me to buy a bottle. I wasn't crazy about the first glass — found it harsh. Two days later I had another glass, and couldn't believe it was the same absinthe. The edges had vanished, and it was smooth and delicious. (Thanks, Peri. :cheers: )

Drink it now Brooks. If it ages anything like the predecessor (P31V) it won't improve any more than it has. So far the P31V is the only absinthe I have the hasn't improved dramatically with age.

TSR: Louche up a few Duplais Verte's tonight, why not? :thumbup: I waiver on my favorite absinthe between the Duplais Verte and Balance but usually settle on the Verte as my favorite non HG. In fact I may join you after work (my green hour is 10pm tonight).

"Absinthe on a Budget: An Oxymoron?"

Not if your budget is equal to a small third world nation.

MT, you and I must have had the same train of thought. I broke out the Duplais verte, skipping over the two Jades, the new Mansinthe and the DV counterpart Balance. The first thing I noticed upon opening the bottle was the amazingly strong scent of alcohol that tinged my nostril hairs. Second thing I noticed as I poured was the most brilliant of green color. Best color I've seen in an absinthe yet. I'm on my third glass now, and this is definitely a great absinthe. Reminds me a bit of the Eichelberger.

Cheers everyone! :cheers:

Edited by TheSixthRing

Pan Buh, Brooks- Absolutely right. Maybe I hadn't noticed before because I wasn't looking for it, but the day or two aging definitely makes a difference in balancing out the different flavors. I tried the Duplais today, and it tasted as though I'd made it with a cube of sugar, which I haven't added to absinthe in over a year. Very sweet and had a more balanced flavor, whereas on Thursday it was anise dominant.