TheSixthRing

Absinthe on a Budget: An Oxymoron?

Boy I hope not, because I'm down to my last bottle; a Verte Suisse that's closer to half empty than half full.

I was thinking I'd like my next order to be 3-4 bottles, with at least one being Edouard. I'd like to keep the price reasonable (around $250). Is Ed worth the money, or should I go with more reasonably priced absinthes like François Guy (which I've had and like) and Duplais Balance (which I've yet to try)? Thanks!

Edited by TheSixthRing

If budget is the goal you may want to hold off on the Jades. The Blanchette is reasonably priced, really good (at least I think so) and from the same distillery, so you may want to try that.

Takw advantage of LdF's flat shipping rate, if you can find what you like from their shops. The Jades are currently not available in .75L bottles, so check out some of the other options.

chrisr, if their blanchette is anything like Clandestine, It'd be best for me to avoid it. I didn't like the hyssop taste in CLB.

Shabba, good call. I was shopping around at Lion, but if LdF comes out cheaper due to the shipping rates, I'll probably go with them.

Alyssa, thanks. I'm not sure why I stopped posting on this board, though I couldn't believe how long it'd been until I logged in yesterday. Oh, and I really need to get you the picture of that artwork framed I promised you a little while ago. (P.S. I think it needs a name, but seeing as how you're the artist, it's at your discretion to name it.)

Edited by TheSixthRing

The CLB and the Blanchette are not really all that alike, at least according to my tastes. Both are good but the blanchette is more to my liking, the Duplais Balance and Verte are good as well.

For four bottles, you're looking at at least 70 euros at Lion, so, even though the absinthe tends to be more expensive at LdF, it might still end up cheaper at the bottom line.

Did the head-to-head with identical orders on 4 bottles, and LdF comes out the winner by $14, though my wallet comes out the loser in both scenarios. :g:

More fiddling with bottle combos is necessary.

From the 1st September you can get 70cl of Mansinthe for £22 (w/o postage).

Still though, when you consider 50cl of Duplais costs £20, that's very cheap.

I want to try as many different Absinthes as I can (granted I have a fairly gracious and forgiving palate) so it is hard for me to order the same thing over and over regardless of price. My advice it, if you haven't tasted the Edouard, go for it. It is really th only way to find out what you like and what everyone else is talking about.

P.S. the best way to taste a bunch of things on a budget is one of the gatherings.

Sometimes you just have to take the hit. A bit of money management can help, like say buy a smaller size of foofoo drink from starbucks (not that you buy foofoo drinks or starbucks ;) ) for a week and you can end up with an extra $10-$15.

The duplais Verte seems to be a good deal, and the LDF combo packs are also reasonable deals.

No, the best deal for Lucid is still here. $59.99 + free shipping!

This is 2nd day air shipping. They are consistant and pleasant to deal with. (they actually shipped my first order on faith and then called for my credit card number)

:thumbup:

Sad news= the last of my Verte Suisse touched my tongue Saturday night. I am now officially sans absinthe. I'd like to place an order at some point this week, but I'm now more unsure on what and where to order than I was before I started this thread. The Lucid seems like a great deal, but does it stack up well with the european absinthes?

Good news is, I just cancelled out on a cruise, so I'll have a bit more to spend on my order. So I need your opinions: LdF with a small bottle of Ed, some Duplais and whatever else I can fit in my budget, or should I go with an all Lucid order and get more volume for my money?

I recently bought a bottle of Lucid, and ya know - I just plain don't like it. It has a nasty finish. If you have the money for the good stuff right now, that's what I would go for.

Going on day 10 sans absinthe. I hit up the local BevMo. I told the manager about Lucid being in the states, but they don't carry it yet. He led me over to a bottle of Absente, and I briefly considered the purchase, but ultimately declined.

As you can see, I'm getting desperate. So, by chance Miss Cleo frequents these boards or a member has inside info, does anyone know when LDF will be restocking on the Duplais and Duplais Balance? That's the core of my next order right there.

Edited by TheSixthRing

While BevMo might not be on top of things, if you're not too far from Costa Mesa/Newport Beach, Hi Time Wine might be a little more expedient (I know, cheesy name).

http://www.hitimewine.net/

...no luck on their site, but if you can stop in, they're really quite helpful. I'll drive out of my way when I'm "in the neighborhood" just to stop in and see what they have.

HI Time Wine is where I shop. It is a great store, and I am lucky to live so close. As of last weekend, they still have had no word as to when Lucid will be available. Frankly, I do not like Lucid. Hi Time, however, does carry an impressive pastis selection. I buy my Arak there - which I do like.

If only they chose a name that didn't make them sound like a head shop.

I still have to give them a nod for carrying a 190 proof Polish "vodka" where the state has outlawed the "good" everclear in favor of the 151 proof variety.

Still...there's always TJ :)

Speaking of TJ...

I still have a gawd-awful bottle of fluorescent green 'Moulin Rouge' Mexican absinth (no 'e') that makes me giggle when I look at the bottle. It's labeled "strong" at *cough*55%*cough*

*snerk*

Although it has been much maligned, François Guy is one of my core absinthes. A full litre bottle and a free spoon to boot! The others are CLB, Montmartre and VdF (although my VdF has been disappearing rapidly :g:).

This is, of course, until the Verte de Marteau hits the market. I am soooooooooooo looking forward to that! :yahoo:

I still have a gawd-awful bottle of fluorescent green 'Moulin Rouge' Mexican absinth (no 'e') that makes me giggle when I look at the bottle. It's labeled "strong" at *cough*55%*cough*

I think that's the Mexican version of Czech Absinth Strong, isn't it? That shit is crap!*...and my very first absinth(e). :blush:

*"That shit is crap" I humbly nominate as the most redundant comment of the day.