Brooks

Toothpicks & swizzle sticks

I love cocktails, or at least I do when someone else is mixing. I, personally, haven't enough drive to measure liquids into a shaker and stir.

If I had the ambition to (A.) mix drinks, and (B.) entertain, I'd treat myself to some swell-looking toothpicks. These bamboo Boat Oar Picks are very handsome:

post-143-1187148937.jpg

The Beaded Picks are.....well, I'm less crazy about those, although the louche-colored ones are kind of nice:

post-143-1187148986.jpg

Imagine one of those stuck through a couple of green grapes, with a blueberry sandwiched in the middle.

All righty, then. Back to my Wheetabix.

Occasionally someone titles a recipe, "Better-Than-Sex..." whatever. Some come close, but nothing has ever been better than! :devil:

I was in the BevMo yesterday picking up a flask funnel. I ws dazzled by the goodies and nearly bought a 2-part cocktail shaker. But I resisted and only came away with the funnel and a lemon squeezer a la Drinkboy's video. I can't wait to use to make LEMON DROPS! :thumbup:

Some come close, but nothing has ever been better than! :devil:
I remember when I still felt that way. mecry.gif
I can't wait to use to make LEMON DROPS!
That sounds good! Are you a limoncello fan? I've heard it's easy to concoct at home.

My next order from LdF will include the Combier Triple Sec specifically for making lemon drops. My best friend's wife loves lemon drops, and it's always fun to make them when they come over.

Never heard of the drink before. I'm a citrus hound, though, so I'll look it up.

My fondness for citrus carries over into desserts. I'll take citrus over chocolate any day.

Sorry, Bill. It posted itself blank while I was looking the other way. Don't know how that happened.

Wait, where did the battling ravens come from? I swear, when you first posted, there was an image of, well, battling ravens. Then it went blank after my post. Now there's a post in mundane english words. Either I've had too much to drink, or not enough...

:drunk: I recently put together a recipe that I thought was ........... and after I mixed it all together and presented to ........ I was .......... and will do it again :devil:

Going to Bevmo in Palmdale this weekend to find St Germain and mix something up.

If I had the ambition to (A.) mix drinks, and (B.) entertain, I'd treat myself to some swell-looking toothpicks. These bamboo Boat Oar Picks are very handsome:

post-143-1187148937.jpg

The Beaded Picks are.....well, I'm less crazy about those, although the louche-colored ones are kind of nice:

post-143-1187148986.jpg

Imagine one of those stuck through a couple of green grapes, with a blueberry sandwiched in the middle.

All righty, then. Back to my Wheetabix.

:laf: :laf:

I'm tickled by these, almost as much as I'm tickled by the title of this topic, Brooks! You amaze me! "Frippery". Love it!

That sounds good! Are you a limoncello fan? I've heard it's easy to concoct at home.

My awesome neighbor makes many, many bottles of it once a year or so. She gave me one which wound up at T73's place. (You knew you should have made it out there for that whole fishing thing.)

Next year I'm going to try and swindle her out of more than one bottle.

She certainly made it sound easy to make. Steep a bunch of mashed lemons in Everclear for a month, drain off the liquid, add sugar. I have no idea if that's all she did or not.

Heya... Limoncello is quite easy to make at home, though, doesn't traditionally involve whole lemons. That would be more like a ratafia or something.

Usually, you wash* and remove the peel of about 10 lemons. Most folks maintain the white pith has an unpleasant bitterness to it, so you can avoid putting that in. Using a micro-plane takes the longest and is the most work; but, does the best job of removing just zest, and encourages expression of the lemon oil. Steep the zest in a liter of 100 proof vodka (or everclear) for a month or so.

In the meantime, make a big batch of lemonade or have a sidecar and lemon drop party.

After a month, strain out the zest, sweeten with 2-1 sugar syrup, and dilute down to no less than 30% alcohol. If you go below that, the water part will freeze when kept at average freezer temp.

Anyway, after sweetening, rest for a week or two, chill, and enjoy.

~Erik

*If you're buying lemons that are obviously waxed or oiled, it's not a bad idea to give them a brief bath in boiling water.

The gentlemen might want to thank Erik for his Limoncello post. Thanks, Erik.

Hey, MPC. Nice to see you, kiddo.

Okay....I'm vanishing again.

Well, I can tell you I am very "disciplined" in my manufacture of Limoncello...

But, really, my all time KC favorites are "Larks' Tongue in Aspic" and "Starless and Bible Black".

~Erik

I've made the occasional batch of limoncello, as well as a lime and lemon-lime. They make for nifty additions to margaritas, too.

In past recipes, it's been stressed to use a 100 proof vodka as opposed to the more commonly available 80 proof. I compromised with about 5 parts 80 proof vodka to 1 part 190 proof everclear to make the mix. I've also sweetened during the zest maceration part instead of separate steps. I don't know how much of a difference this makes.

I also like to give gifts of it to friends in laboratory bottles and tell them I had leftovers from my employment screening :devil:

If I could find red lemons, I'd be on top of that so quick it would give you whiplash :punk:

Hmmm...blood orange?