TheSixthRing

What's your favorite Beer Brewing Company?

Stone, Ommegang and Southern Tier are some of my favorites. Nice choices. Allagash, Dogfish Head, Rogue, Unibroue, and too numerous to list Belgians are more locally available favorites. Russian River hard to find, and sadly Brouwerij Westvleyeren pretty much an impossible.

Unless you're willing to pay about $23 for an 11.7 oz. bottle from TheBelgianShop. :rolleyes:

Oh really!!!! I'll have to check that out. :groupwave reversed: I was under the impression you had to visit the monastery. :mbanana:

Did you end up trying the Guinness 250?

When I was recently at St. James Gate, they had the posters for the upcoming 250. I've been unable to attain any, based on my current location. I did get some great pics though, I love that place.

DSC05034.JPG

Unless you're willing to pay about $23 for an 11.7 oz. bottle from TheBelgianShop. :rolleyes:

OK!! Thanks, just placed an order. Gotta be cheaper than a trip to Belgium. BUT, a trip to Belgium and to Amsterdam is one I still hope to make, besides a trip to my the homeland on my Mother's side of the family, Switzerland.

Boston Beer Company - I Am all about Samuel Adams! Followed by St. James Gate (Guinness). The Guinness 250 Year Anniversary Edition was sub par, IMO. I enjoy the Extra Stout, though, & I usually buy the draught 14.9 FL OZ cans and just pour into any available glass. Mmm I love the head :devil: . Dogfish Head Craft Brewery makes Midas Touch Golden Elixir which is based on the chemical analysis of residues found in clay vessels found in Gordium, Turkey & believed to date back to the eighth century BCE. I also used to favor Miller Brewing Company's Mickey's Malt Liquor until they became a sponsor of UFC :thumbdown:.

Guinness, hands down. Then Widmer Bros. out of Portland.

You don't get out much, do you?

Oh wait, that's me, nevermind.

Just kidding, Ron, I hear Guinness on draught in Ireland is da bomb, and Widmer Cask Conditioned Pale Ale at The Unicorn in the U District of Seattle was amazing back in 1985. :tongue: ;) :cheers:

OK!! Thanks, just placed an order. Gotta be cheaper than a trip to Belgium.

You're quite welcome. :cheers:

TheBelgianShop has always been an invaluable resource of beers that have been anywhere from difficult to impossible to obtain in the U.S...sure, they tend to be pricey, but when one has a monopoly, one tends to take advantage of it. Other than the Westvleteren line, their prices really aren't that exorbitant, for the most part.

Well, Absomphe, given the option I would much rather be in Western Washington right now. Maybe not as far up as you, but Seattle and all points north would do. Sometimes when I get homesick for that brilliantly dreary cold and wet weather, I put on Nicholson in Five Easy Pieces. It also bears pointing out in this thread that it would be fantastic if you could still find Lucky Lager, especially in those old peel top oil cans.

lucky.gif

I hear nothin' but good things about a Watney's Red Barrel...

And you're from what planet, Sir, if you don't mind my asking? :tongue: ;)

Ron..."Lucky" Lager, one of my favorite all-time misnomers. :puke: :laf:

I hear Guinness on draught in Ireland is da bomb

Funny enough, I found the Guinness Draught in several Irish pubs in Madrid better than what I drank in any of the Dublin pubs.

Widmer Cask Conditioned Pale Ale

I have the Widmer Wheat on tap in my bar almost every summer. It's wonderful stuff on hot days.

As long as the black stuff is in a proper pint glass, I'm happy. I haven't really noticed any variances in taste from pub to pub, country to country. I do have a hard time getting a cold pint at times though.

I had the Chimay with the white-ish label and it was just okay for me. I think they make two or three different ales though, which one do you recommend?

Lindeman's lambics...

You need to try some genuine lambics instead of those sugary girlie-girl pretenders, BAUB! :tongue:

Man, I'm enjoying playing the beer snob poseur just a little too much in the last couple of days...muhahahaha! :devil:

I had the Chimay with the white-ish label and it was just okay for me. I think they make two or three different ales though, which one do you recommend?

I usually get the blue label, which is the Grande Reserve.. It's amazing, especially at 9% abv.

Chimay is one of my favorites.

You need to try some genuine lambics instead of those sugary girlie-girl pretenders, BAUB! :tongue:

Yeah, they don't compare to the real things.

Man, I'm enjoying playing the beer snob poseur just a little too much in the last couple of days...muhahahaha! :devil:

Ha, I hopefully will soon join you in snobby posing. :) Already getting more and more here.

I know. I've tried both of the two other brands that we get down here, and they weren't bad, one was more sugary which I didn't dig.

As far as Chimay goes I was going to recommend the Grande Reserve as well, but some other folks beat me to it.

Picked up a 4pk of Founders Imperial Stout tonight, just cracked one open .. WOW, amazing. If you like DARK, coffee-roasted malt-bitter chocolate-pours like motor oil ... this is your beer. Love it...

Some other favorites ..

IMG00331.jpg

As far as lambics are concerned .... Cantillon Rose De Gambrinus ... awesome! Really wish I had some right now.

5.jpg

A good porter by Flying Dog, the Gonzo Imperial Porter

4.jpg

My staple beer? Unibroue Maudite, a belgian strong dark ale out of Canada.

3-1.jpg

A very unique beer, Rodenbach Grand Cru .. very malt vinegary and really weird, but really good and awesome to sip.

brian-1.jpg

And if you get the chance ... Sam Adams Utopias. 25% abv and drinks like a cognac, but is awesome. $$$ though and usually hard to track down.

brian.jpg

I love beer :)

Edited by odiedog52