TheSixthRing

What's your favorite Beer Brewing Company?

After all of THE ABYSS talk last year around this time, I just had to try to put my hands on some this year. As of today I have pre-ordered 3 bottles from Liquid Solutions. And now I wait, and hope that I get my 3 before they run out!

Ditto. 26 bottles a couple of weeks ago so we'll see where the chips fall..

My OCD kicks in overdrive from time to time to time to time. Ahem.

I'm a fan of the Sam Adam's stuff. Never have I had a Sam Adam's I didn't like.

Also, whoever makes 'Fin du Monde' gets points. Mega Points.

Watch City Brewery in Waltham, MA has always made excellent beers, their beers are even better the last few months. B)

Of course, me Mum was from Waltham and I've tried my damdest to move away...oh well,

someone had a saying for that.

I'm hoping for summadat Abyss when I get back from Holiday come January 1!!

I've always liked the Alaskan Brewing Company. The Alaskan Amber hit the spot for me.

I loves me the Alaskan Smoked Porter when it's fresh, even though (or rather because) it's way over the top with aldersmoke, although the Bamberger class Schlenkerla Rauchbier is nearly as smoky with beechwood, and is smoother, and more drinkable.

My current favorites are Surly and Flat Earth, both out of the Twin Cities. Surly is making a big splash nationally and abroad and Flat Earth has put out a line of very consistent beer.

My all-time favorite is a Trappist Ale... Rochefort 10.

My all-time favorite is a Trappist Ale... Rochefort 10.

That one will probably always be in my top five world class ales...the Westvleteren 12 is actually a notch better, but at $18 for an 11.2 oz. bottle, it's about three times the price of the Rochefort, and I've only seen it available on BelgianShop.com, anyway.

Westvleteren 12 ... I've only seen it available on BelgianShop.com, anyway.

I've been looking for a sample of that stuff for a while. From what I understand it's made by monks, supposed to be some good stuff. I love good brew.

Thanks for the information :yahoo:

You're quite welcome.

If you've never explored the BelgianShop, be warned...you could go even more broke there than you could from LDF. :devil:

Good news......got this info in an email:

The Abyss. If your favorite beer-lover is missing on January 14th…don’t panic. They’re probably just one of the many enthusiasts anxiously waiting in line for the release of Deschutes Brewery’s The Abyss.

This exceptionally popular imperial stout, aged in French oak, pinot noir, and bourbon barrels since March, has immense depth with its rich and complex flavors. True to its name, subtle notes of coffee, chocolate, molasses and licorice pull you in deeper and deeper. Cherry bark and vanilla bean added during the dry-hopping process are the proverbial “cherry on top”!

Early December was originally publicized as the release date for the 2007 version of The Abyss. Perfection cannot be rushed though. Emails from excited fans continue to flood the Brewery asking, “When is it coming and where can I get it?”

“The Abyss has developed somewhat of a cult following,” reveals Deschutes Brewery’s Jason Randles. “In fact, we’ve had reports from some bottle shops where six or seven cases have already been reserved through single bottle orders.”

In addition to being a beer aficionado’s favorite, The Abyss has been showered with industry and consumer awards: the “Best Stout in the World” by Men’s Journal’s October 2007 issue, Top 10 on BeerAdvocate.com’s World’s Best rankings, “Gold Medal Imperial Stout” at the 2007 Great American Beer Festival, and “Best Beer Above 7%, International Champion Beer & Supreme Champion” at the 2007 International Beer Challenge.

“The Abyss was one of those beers I didn’t want to end,” said beer writer and Men’s Journal contributor Christian DeBenedetti. “I was totally blown away - this is precious stuff.”

I think my favorite was a Rhino Chaser Winterlund (or some type of winter version), but sadly Rhino Chaser stopped brewing.

I want to try a new beer by brewdog dot com. It is the paradox, and it is a whisky cask aged stout. Can't wait to have a go at it!

Ok, I just saw this post so allow me my addition.

For regular drinking, my own beer; I call it "Sewer Sludge Stout".

When I'm out and it's available, Murphy's Irish Stout or Andech Doppel Bock Dunkel; the latter being pretty much only available in Bavaria.

For taking a tour, Miller in Milwaukee WI. I'll drink their beer if someone offers it to me for free but I wouldn't spend any money on their products. However, after having toured breweries on three continents, I can say that, so far, their tour is the best. It's free, informative, plenty to drink at the end and they give you a postcard of the brewery that you can address to anyone in the world and they pay postage. I went there in 1997 and they were also giving out Super Bowl Packers commemorative beer can coin banks. And, as for informative, whatever questions they couldn't answer on the tour they answered at the end by looking it up in a binder that must have been eight inches thick. We're talking topics like compensating for the variation in hop and barley crop yields, genetic drift of the yeast, etc. :reaper:

I'm a little surprised I haven't weighed in on this. For their sheer willingness to experiment with new flavors and such, I have to say Dogfish Head and Three Floyds are my favorites.