TheSixthRing

What's your favorite Beer Brewing Company?

By far my favorite is Rogue. Of the 23 different beers I've tried, there's only been one that I genuinely disliked. Shakespeare Stout and Dead Guy are my favorites, and when mixed together, you get Rogue's version of a Black & Tan, nicknamed 'Dead Poet'.

Runner-ups include Stone Brewing (Arrogant Bastard) and Samuel Adams. For being the heavyweight they are, Samuel Adams makes some excellent beer.

You will probably get some disagreement here on your opinion of Sam Adams.

My favorite breweries are Bell's, Great Divide, Dogfish Head, North Coast (I've only had the barleywine but WOW!), Rogue and Summit (It's required for Minnesotans).

Lange Brewing Company out of Marion, Montana. Very local, but that dude can brew! :biggrin: There's a lot of others I like also. I had a Yungling (probably not spelled correctly) when I was on the east coast a couple of years ago that was marvelous, and Lagunitas is up there, too.

Ah, beer.

Bell's is probably my favourite. Great Divide is up there. Great Lakes is up there. Avery is up there. Black Oak is up there. Unibroue is certainly up there. Dieu du Ciel! is way the hell up there.

Ah, beer....

Right now Unibroue and Ommegang. But I'm still pretty new and exploring. Rogue has some stuff I really like.

New Belgium makes some good stuff. I've become enamored with Fat Tire as of late. Maybe its the taste, maybe its the big ol' bottle, maybe its the fact that the brewery is run in a very green way. I'm not sure how much of it is spin, but the website goes into all the eco-friendly details. In the end, good, tasty, beer.

Oh yes, and PBR is a must. Especially in the city, you can get a pint of PBR for around three or four bucks when most of the other drinks are six to ten. I really shouldn't complain, I have heard that bar prices in a lot of other cities are even worse.

Oh good. They have PBR. I'm all set.

It's hillarious to watch the barstaff and waitstaff when someone orders something like that. It's the same reaction as if you just told them you raped their mother.

One of my Sisters in Law came once and wanted to start off with a Miller Lite. I was looking around for a flying chair for a while there.

you can get a pint of PBR for around three or four bucks

Damn, three or four bucks for a PBR? Most bars I've seen them in, they're like a dollar or two.

What no one mentioned Deschutes? The Kettle House here in Missoula has some really great stuff. I like Wasatch and Squatters out of Salt Lake as well.

Stone, Alesmith and GreenFlash are all great beers and all in San Diego County. Since I'm a west coaster I love those as well as the Russian River Brewing beers. You have to try Pliny the Younger some time absolutely amazing. We don't get a lot of the east coast beers out here but when I'm home visiting family in Michigan I do enjoy Bell's and Dogfishhead.

Svijany for me. I did find a great brew-pub in Prague, but they don't bottle anything and getting down there to drink doesn't happen much (once). I did have a lovely porter in Pardubice last weekend, but it was on tap in a tent during the street fest and I'm not sure which brewery it came from.

DeDolle, the mad brewers of Belgium, followed by Alesmith.

I feel really pretty spoiled that Alesmith is practically in my backyard...as is White Labs, and Stone is just up the road.

One personal bias I have: Wynkoop brewery in Denver...the head brewer is my cousin :thumbup:

He brought me a gallon and a half of blackberry mead last year when he came out to visit. NUMMY!!!

Avery in Denver is also high on my list, as is Redstone Meadery.

I visited Wynkoop in '94, the day before the GABF, so my memories of their beers were somewhat blotted out by the 240 beers I sampled afterwards, but I think they were tasty. :twitchsmile:

Ya know the thing I love about beer is how much local, small brewing has prospered in the last 20 years.

I've done a fair bit of traveling in the last couple years and just about anywhere you go in the US you can find decent micro or mid-size brews.

So many good options these days and so different from the early 80s when I first started drinking beer.

In the San Francisco area, I really like Magnolia Brewpub, Moonlight Brewing, Russian River Brewing, and Speakeasy.

We're going to take some Swedish friends to Napa tomorrow and I'm trying to find an excuse to get up to Russian River Brewing...

Have you ever tried the Watermelon Wheat at 21st amendment?

Although they aren't a brewery the Trocadero is a great beer bar, and they are participating in the Michael Jackson toast on Sept, 30th.

edit: oh yeah.. They're right across the street from Memphis Minnies, the best bbq in San Francisco area (there's not much competition but it is quite good)

Edited by dantodd

Good callz with Avery, Russian River, Deschutes, Bell's, Alesmith, and Stone. Also, scout around for some 'Collaboration not Litigation' by Avery and Russian River. A joint effort sprung from both since they both realized they brewed beers named 'Supplication'.

But I must say, my still all-time favorite beer is Highland Cold Mountain Winter Ale. Ohhh, I just can't wait until this October. One more Growler left calling me from last year.

[...]

Have you ever tried the Watermelon Wheat at 21st amendment?

Although they aren't a brewery the Trocadero is a great beer bar, and they are participating in the Michael Jackson toast on Sept, 30th.

[...]

I'm not a huge fan of the Watermelon Wheat; but, I do like most of 21st Amendment's beers. They had a most excellent "Oyster Stout" earlier this year.

Toronado is one of my favorite San Francisco bars, cranky bartenders and all. I hope they have the fresh hops festival again this fall.

~Erik