Photo

What's your favorite Beer Brewing Company?

• Please log in to reply
282 replies to this topic

#1 TheSixthRing

TheSixthRing

• PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:07 PM

By far my favorite is Rogue. Of the 23 different beers I've tried, there's only been one that I genuinely disliked. Shakespeare Stout and Dead Guy are my favorites, and when mixed together, you get Rogue's version of a Black & Tan, nicknamed 'Dead Poet'.

Runner-ups include Stone Brewing (Arrogant Bastard) and Samuel Adams. For being the heavyweight they are, Samuel Adams makes some excellent beer.
Absence makes the heart grow fonder, thus absinthe makes the wallet squander.

#2 Selmac

Selmac

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:29 PM

You will probably get some disagreement here on your opinion of Sam Adams.

My favorite breweries are Bell's, Great Divide, Dogfish Head, North Coast (I've only had the barleywine but WOW!), Rogue and Summit (It's required for Minnesotans).
Walking the ocean
Any time I take the notion

#3 LouchingBuckeye

LouchingBuckeye

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:36 PM

My favorite brewing company is Great Lakes. I really haven't found anything from them that I dislike with Eliot Ness Amber Lager and Commodore Perry IPA being my favorites.

#4 momo

momo

• PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 04:45 PM

Great Lakes is my favorite also. Rogue is fantastic. I like Unibroue, but every time I think of them I think of uni-brow.
Click here to edit my sig!

#5 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,803 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 04:59 PM

Too many to mention. My favorite thing in the world is to head to the Brickskeller Inn, and just go buckwild on either their seasonal selection, or their normal beer menu.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#6 metodd1

metodd1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 05:52 PM

I dunno about a favorite company -- but 2 of my fav beers are sam smith imperial stout and delirium nocturnum...followed closely by PBR. ;)
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It stands at the cradle of true art and true science. He to whom this feeling is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed. -AE

#7 Attack Accountant

Attack Accountant

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 05:56 PM

Lange Brewing Company out of Marion, Montana. Very local, but that dude can brew! :biggrin: There's a lot of others I like also. I had a Yungling (probably not spelled correctly) when I was on the east coast a couple of years ago that was marvelous, and Lagunitas is up there, too.
I think I'm funny but no one else does.

#8 Stomp Brockmore

Stomp Brockmore

stabbed in the face.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 06:13 PM

Ah, beer.

Bell's is probably my favourite. Great Divide is up there. Great Lakes is up there. Avery is up there. Black Oak is up there. Unibroue is certainly up there. Dieu du Ciel! is way the hell up there.

Ah, beer....

#9 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,621 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 06:20 PM

DeDolle, the mad brewers of Belgium, followed by Alesmith.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#10 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,260 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:45 PM

Too many to mention. My favorite thing in the world is to head to the Brickskeller Inn, and just go buckwild on either their seasonal selection, or their normal beer menu.

Oh good. They have PBR. I'm all set.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#11 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:00 PM

Right now Unibroue and Ommegang. But I'm still pretty new and exploring. Rogue has some stuff I really like.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#12 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,976 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:24 PM

Sweet! Now I know what to bring for the next Seattle Green Hour!

#13 metodd1

metodd1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:13 PM

See? PBR is all you need. Why mess with perfection?
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It stands at the cradle of true art and true science. He to whom this feeling is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed. -AE

#14 Poor

Poor

Fancy Boy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:59 AM

New Belgium makes some good stuff. I've become enamored with Fat Tire as of late. Maybe its the taste, maybe its the big ol' bottle, maybe its the fact that the brewery is run in a very green way. I'm not sure how much of it is spin, but the website goes into all the eco-friendly details. In the end, good, tasty, beer.

Oh yes, and PBR is a must. Especially in the city, you can get a pint of PBR for around three or four bucks when most of the other drinks are six to ten. I really shouldn't complain, I have heard that bar prices in a lot of other cities are even worse.
"Babies belong in this lake, go ahead, throw him in!" said the Baby Eating Monster that lives in the lake.

#15 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,803 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:54 AM

It's hillarious to watch the barstaff and waitstaff when someone orders something like that. It's the same reaction as if you just told them you raped their mother.

One of my Sisters in Law came once and wanted to start off with a Miller Lite. I was looking around for a flying chair for a while there.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#16 metodd1

metodd1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:00 AM

you can get a pint of PBR for around three or four bucks

Damn, three or four bucks for a PBR? Most bars I've seen them in, they're like a dollar or two.

#17 Chris

Chris

• PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:46 AM

I'm a fan of Long Trail; I had a friend from VT. who used to bring them back after trips home.
Good stuff.
"This is their busted future, and this is our dreams."

#18 ShaiHulud

ShaiHulud

Dr. Valentin Magnan wannabe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:47 AM

What no one mentioned Deschutes? The Kettle House here in Missoula has some really great stuff. I like Wasatch and Squatters out of Salt Lake as well.
Litany against fear of Absinthe - I must not fear Absinthe. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my Absinthe. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the Absinthe has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

#19 cocktailchronicles

cocktailchronicles

• Content Team
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:52 AM

I love the Deschutes (some of the product line, anyway--Mirror Pond, not so much). Their Cinder Cone Red prompted my first-ever love letter to a brewery.
The Cocktail Chronicles - a humble little drinking site

"It was a game that you could only beat by being in the know, and Eastern pikers had no business out there. I was too busy experimenting with the green stuff--straight, drips and frappes--to snuggle up to the clique that knew how all the races were going to be run, one, two, three, and that's why they put the final crimp in me within two weeks after I hit San Francisco."
--Clarence Louis Cullen, Tales of the Ex-Tanks

#20 Stomp Brockmore

Stomp Brockmore

stabbed in the face.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:50 AM

Rodenbach Grand Cru and Panil Barrique pretty much blow my mind every time.

#21 dantodd

dantodd

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:41 PM

Stone, Alesmith and GreenFlash are all great beers and all in San Diego County. Since I'm a west coaster I love those as well as the Russian River Brewing beers. You have to try Pliny the Younger some time absolutely amazing. We don't get a lot of the east coast beers out here but when I'm home visiting family in Michigan I do enjoy Bell's and Dogfishhead.
TripBalz?? How short ARE your legs?!?!

#22 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:05 PM

Svijany for me. I did find a great brew-pub in Prague, but they don't bottle anything and getting down there to drink doesn't happen much (once). I did have a lovely porter in Pardubice last weekend, but it was on tap in a tent during the street fest and I'm not sure which brewery it came from.

#23 Trid

Trid

Ooo Shiny!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:48 PM

DeDolle, the mad brewers of Belgium, followed by Alesmith.

I feel really pretty spoiled that Alesmith is practically in my backyard...as is White Labs, and Stone is just up the road.

One personal bias I have: Wynkoop brewery in Denver...the head brewer is my cousin :thumbup:
He brought me a gallon and a half of blackberry mead last year when he came out to visit. NUMMY!!!

Avery in Denver is also high on my list, as is Redstone Meadery.
Some people are like slinkies....not really useful for anything, but you can't help but to smile when you see them tumbling down a flight of stairs.

#24 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,621 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 05:32 AM

I visited Wynkoop in '94, the day before the GABF, so my memories of their beers were somewhat blotted out by the 240 beers I sampled afterwards, but I think they were tasty. :twitchsmile:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#25 Le Gimp

Le Gimp

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:00 AM

I'm still trying ot figure out how to get a sixpack of each product donated to me from each brewery so I can do an unbiased comparison.

:cheers:

#26 ejellest

ejellest

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:14 AM

Ya know the thing I love about beer is how much local, small brewing has prospered in the last 20 years.

I've done a fair bit of traveling in the last couple years and just about anywhere you go in the US you can find decent micro or mid-size brews.

So many good options these days and so different from the early 80s when I first started drinking beer.

In the San Francisco area, I really like Magnolia Brewpub, Moonlight Brewing, Russian River Brewing, and Speakeasy.
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, San Francisco, CA, USA

#27 dantodd

dantodd

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:03 PM

We're going to take some Swedish friends to Napa tomorrow and I'm trying to find an excuse to get up to Russian River Brewing...

Have you ever tried the Watermelon Wheat at 21st amendment?

Although they aren't a brewery the Trocadero is a great beer bar, and they are participating in the Michael Jackson toast on Sept, 30th.
edit: oh yeah.. They're right across the street from Memphis Minnies, the best bbq in San Francisco area (there's not much competition but it is quite good)

Edited by dantodd, 14 September 2007 - 08:04 PM.

TripBalz?? How short ARE your legs?!?!

#28 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• 3,302 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:48 PM

Good callz with Avery, Russian River, Deschutes, Bell's, Alesmith, and Stone. Also, scout around for some 'Collaboration not Litigation' by Avery and Russian River. A joint effort sprung from both since they both realized they brewed beers named 'Supplication'.

But I must say, my still all-time favorite beer is Highland Cold Mountain Winter Ale. Ohhh, I just can't wait until this October. One more Growler left calling me from last year.
"I really like depriving myself of things. It's fun! Very monastic." - Kosmo

#29 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,976 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:58 PM

Big Sky and Lang Creek. They make really, really good brew. :cheers:

#30 ejellest

ejellest

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:26 AM

[...]
Have you ever tried the Watermelon Wheat at 21st amendment?

Although they aren't a brewery the Trocadero is a great beer bar, and they are participating in the Michael Jackson toast on Sept, 30th.
[...]

I'm not a huge fan of the Watermelon Wheat; but, I do like most of 21st Amendment's beers. They had a most excellent "Oyster Stout" earlier this year.

Toronado is one of my favorite San Francisco bars, cranky bartenders and all. I hope they have the fresh hops festival again this fall.

~Erik
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, San Francisco, CA, USA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association