Tally Ho

A decent Arak available in the US?

They have to special order the stuff at my local liquor store, so I want to be sure I order the right stuff. I've browsed other threads and noticed that Absomphe recommends Razzouk & Ksarak. Does anybody else have any differing opinions or other options, or is this pretty sound advice?

I can't always afford to indulge and fork over the moolah for absinthe, but I like me an anise beverage on a hot summer day and it's a nice affordable alternative.

Thanks in advance

Absomphe may not always be sound of mind, but he does give sound advice. (Just kidding, big guy).

I like the Razzouk. I have not tried the other, however.

Absomphe may not always be sound of mind

May?

Why, that's the nicest benefit of the doubt I've received in ages, you sweetheart you. :yahoo:

Razzouk is good stuff, and better then Ksa. Course, most know i am partial to ouzo's and tsipouro. Barbayannis from Plomari is my fav, but good luck finding it. Frankly, any ouzo from the town of Plomari on Lesvos is darn good, and often/unfortunately often, most ouzo's from that town are simply given the name 'Plomari' either way.

Razzouk is the way to go. It will take me forever to get to your intro thread since I am so far behind. I lived in Lancaster for years and graduated from Millersville University. Living in Montana though I do not miss that part of the country much but welcome to the white rose city anyway

Razzouk and Massaya are both very good. Razzouk has a very crisp bite to it, and Massaya is incredibly smooth. Take your pick as to which one sounds more appetizing. As far as quality goes, I have yet to find a bad arak. It's very unlike absinthe or even beer in that respect.

Unless they are using a REALLY inferior base, or mix in some non-traditional herbs that don't marry well, arak, tsi, and ouzo are darn tough to f--k up.

Razzouk is good stuff, and better then Ksa. Course, most know i am partial to ouzo's and tsipouro.

I disagree, but the again, I've never been partial to ouzo.

Cheers ShaiHulud, from a White Roser to a former Red Roser. Lancaster has some beautiful stretches of country, but I'm sure it pales in comparison to where you are now.

Thank you everybody for pointing me in the right direction. I decided to get both the Razzouk & Ksarak, they're both quite good. I thought I liked the Razzouk better, until I tried another glass of Ksarak then changed my mind again. The same thing happens to me everytime I go from Eddy to N.O., and back again. My favorite is the glass I'm working on at that time.

I'll get around to trying out the Massaya too eventually.

My favorite is the glass I'm working on at that time.

In my opinion that is a wonderful position to be in. There are many of us here who hate just about everything and then those of us (Myself, T73, and Hartsmar,at least at first) who are sort of Absinthe sluts. Some say we are not discriminating but at this point in my life, I like enjoying things.

There are many of us here who hate just about everything and then those of us (Myself, T73, and Hartsmar,at least at first) who are sort of Absinthe sluts.

True, true. :dribble: