printmkr

Eichelberger Line of Absinthes

I noticed at the Alandia site they offer several Eichelbergers that I have not seen offered any where else:

Absinthe Eichelberger 60

Absinthe Eichelberger Blanche

Absinthe Eichelberger Brut 80

Absinthe Eichelberger Verte 70

Has anyone tried any of these? I am not hot on ordering from Alandia, so if anyone knows anyone else that might offer these, or, even better, the Limitée 68 in a liter size, it would be much appreciated!

I have the following:

Absinth 58 blanche

Absinth 60 verte

Absinth 68 limitée

Absinth 70 verte

Absinth 80 brut

I fully recognize my palate isn't trained enough to offer the kind of insight some of the cognoscenti can offer, but I can say nothing but positives for the entire line. I find the vertes somewhat more complex and appealing (probably obvious). Not to say the blanches are wanting. The louche produced by the 80% Brut is nothing short of amazing. Great mouth feel. Creamy as all get-out. As for the 60 verte (made using "fresh" A.a.) versus the 68 limitée, I am unable to adequately describe the difference. Only that I like them both and would order both again once my current bottles are consumed. (Goes for the whole line). DeepForest indictated in an earlier post that the 70 verte is the only one with star anise. I cannot detect it, perhaps a compliment to the nice herbal balance?

As for ordering. My bottles (excepting the 68 limitée) were hand-carried by a traveling colleague who went to Germany earlier this year. I have had good experiences with all vendors (including Alandia) so am not reluctant to recommend Alandia if you cannot obtain any of these from your preferred vendors. AFAIK, the folks at Eichelberger presently have no direct mechanism for shipping to the U.S.

(edited [see strikethrough] to correct my misunderstanding about star anise in the Eichelberger absinthes)

I've e-mailed Markus and LDF about carrying them but got a lukewarm response. Perhaps if enough people request them they will take heed and I can avoid using Alandia also. I really do not need any free matches.

70 verte is the only one with star anise

No, I just gave an example. It is possible that more Eichelberger Absinthes content star anise. Not all, but more than one.;)

Edited by Deep Forest

Alandia makes and sells a variety of high-quality absinthes and accessories you can get nowhere else. Mike from Alandia is an energetic and honest young businessman who has offered a lot to the absinthe world.

He has also made and sold some products marketed at the thujone-seekers that represent everything that we oppose. But he's not "German Andy", or one of those fly-by-night low-rent czechswill sellers that hypes absinth as a panty-remover and doesn't answer your emails when your order doesn't arrive.

Avoid Alandia if you feel you must, but if you want the Eichelbergers, or the Epoque, (another Deep Forest production) or any of their beautiful unique glassware or accessories, and aren't getting them because you want to punish Alandia for selling Strong 68, you might be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

It's OK, but the price is entirely too high for the product. As for the packaging, the cork will almost certainly crumble, and fall into the bottle, unless they have made changes.

Also, it's only .7L. For that price, you would expect at least a .75L

Feel free to PM me. I can send you a sample of that, if you wish.

The Ikes are far better, and at a better price.

Avoid Alandia if you feel you must, but if you want the Eichelbergers, or the Epoque, (another Deep Forest production) or any of their beautiful unique glassware or accessories, and aren't getting them because you want to punish Alandia for selling Strong 68, you might be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I hear that. Glad to hear good things about Alandia. And I DO want those Ikes!

I have drank(and enjoyed) all of the IKEs cept for the blanche, but I Have heard very mixed reviews about that.

the best two are the 68verte and the 80Brut they stand out the most.

the 70verte is the kind of thing you always want to keep around and all my friends love it.

I was kind of bored with the 60verte it's not bad at all it's just boring. I do enjoy drinking it neat though.

It's OK, but the price is entirely too high for the product. As for the packaging, the cork will almost certainly crumble, and fall into the bottle, unless they have made changes.

You're right Shabba, they wanted to compete with the Jade range but they failed.

And the cork is really bad, I've never broken any of my corks before, included that one, but it was really fragile and went into pieces just after.

As an aside, I ran some numbers last night just to compare product costs.

Epoque (from Alandia)

.7 L = 60 euros

Shipping = 43 euros

103 euros = approx $141

Epoque Per cl = $2.01

Ike (from Alandia)

.5L = 31 euros

shipping = 43 euros

74 euros = approx $101

Ike Per cl = $2.02

Jade (From LdF)

.75L = £55

shipping = £25

£80 = approx $163.04

Jade Per cl = $2.17

So, if you're ever in a quandry as to where you'll get the best deal for a good absinthe, I'd most certainly spend 16 cents more per cl to get a Jade over Epoque, and would gladly spend 1 cent more to buy an Ike over Epoque.

Last night I had my first, and I believe my last, Eichelberger. It was the 68. It's not the flavor that will prevent me from drinking it again. I believe I had some sort of allergic reaction. It was my second glass of the evening, around 7:30. Around midnight, I had to go lie down. My head was spinning and I was very nauseated, exactly like the reaction I have had from food allergies.

Anyone know what they put in their absinthe that isn't in most of the others? This has never happened to me before and I don't want that to happen again. :thumbdown:

I don't think there are any untraditional herbs, or spices in the Eichelberger (unlike the Montmartre), but I always noticed a kind of waxy flavor in the finish that comes from the particular varietal of wormwood the Ike contains... perhaps you have a sensitivity to it.

Around midnight, I had to go lie down. My head was spinning and I was very nauseated, exactly like the reaction I have had from food allergies.

Secondaries come through differently for different people. :harhar:

In all seriousness, I'm sorry to hear about the reaction. I've not heard of any abnormal ingredients either, but I have in some circumstances 'felt' or tasted that same waxiness, but it's never kept me from going back. I love the 68 limitee. However, if I had the same problems as Molly, I'd steer clear too.

I only tried Eichelberger 60 Bio and I really like it. I like it's bio and made from fresh herbs. It could become one of my permanent keepers.

No, I don't think it is bad. The first time I tried it, I tasted something similar, although I was thinking or dried hay. The next time, it was much better. Perhaps it just needs to breath.

I have a bottle of Eichelberger 83.2, not too expensive compared to my other bottles, bought it for the highest ABV content, haven't tasted it yet, waiting for a friend.