Gwydion Stone

New WS Main Site is Live

Seriously, you need to make it fit in 1024. In reality, it should fit in 800 as there are *a lot* of people who still use that. I wonder if you have considered making your widths in percentages? If you do that it should fit in any browser window.

Also, perhaps you should consider justifying your paragraphs?

Anyway, nice look...

Well, I wouldn't say a lot:

1024x768 37.27%

1280x1024 21.54%

1280x800 11.59%

1440x900 6.63%

1680x1050 4.87%

800x600 3.95%

1152x864 3.78%

1280x960 3.53%

1280x768 1.68%

1280x854 0.88%

... but I'll do what I can to make it work for everyone. 800 isn't going to happen. Some widths are in percentages, but it's the two images in the header that won't allow the width to collapse any further.

Thanks for the suggestions. :cheers:

Yeah, I would agree that 1024 x 768 is the new "minimum". Of course one day you may decide to do a different stylesheet or something for handhelds, text only, etc. that will pretty minimal, and maybe you could point lesser rez clients there. The other option is to make those header graphics "background images" that would "crop" themselves to the page width, but then you go down the path of setting min and max widths and playing around with IE6 CSS hacks vs. other browsers, etc. Pretty ugly and hard to maintain!

(a thousand pardons, I've been away for a while - hubby + major sugery = not much time for the internet)

The new site looks really good - although, er, the layout is just a tiny bit crowded, to me. But that's just me. Ignore me. Really, overall, it's fabulous.

And I'll be glad to shovel a few bucks into the Keep Hiram in pre-ban bandwidth fund. :)

- Johanna

Thanks britgeekgirl. I hope everything is okay.

Oddly enough, my resolution is 1024 and the site doesn't quite fit. I have to scroll sideways to see the rightmost words in the right menu.
How is it now?

Hiram, excellent work my friend. You have done a fantastic job as usual and I look forward to checking out the new features.

Any chance of grandfathering the first 100 forum members into the high membership level at a discount? :)

I'm probably missing something, but when I try to log in on the new main site it says "User name or password is incorrect" and it clears the password field as though that is the problem. I tried again, checking carefully my password, but still no go.

My password is 11 characters, what am I doing wrong Mr. Wizard?

Hiram, I have some time on my hands these days. Would you like me to lightly copy-edit some of the text in the FAQs and elsewhere?

DP......during testing we had to re-register at the site using our previous registration. Sure was fun "seeing" you at the party(through pictures). Really like your artwork too!

This new format looks great, Hiram! It is nice to see something significant after being away for so long. You've been busy. I do agree with the "crowded" criticism, but what can you do to present so much information in such limited space? It is the conflict of every web designer. Menus work well to present the breadth of the information and the graphics create visual breaks from the text. Mostly there is a good rhythm to the site now which interfaces with the forum well. I'm more likely to return to the outer shell and read what is new, which is a point of good design.

Thanks everyone.

Perfect!
Sweet.
Hiram, I have some time on my hands these days. Would you like me to lightly copy-edit some of the text in the FAQs and elsewhere?
I responded to your PM, and thanks for the offer. I'll gladly accept editorial help. My work style is somewhat scattered and I frequently forget which bits need tidying up.

Volpane! It's good seeing you here again. Yes, I've been insanely busy, as you can see from the 3AM post up there. ;)

Main site is back to being too wide to fit in my resolution. I had IE and the review menu wasn't even on the screen. I've permanently switched to Firefox now but it still doesn't quite fit. Still using 1024 resolution.

Yep, it's not fitting my screen now either.

I never had a problem with it being too wide for my screen until last week.

It fits now.

Something that would be good to have, though, is an option to let users decide how many results they want on screen, such as in the Reviews and Cocktails sections. Everyone's different and for me it's easier to look at all results on one screen than to click through 6 pages.

Oh, and even though I have cookies enabled and can stay logged in at the WS forum, the main page asks me to log in if I close the browser and then open it again, even though I tell it to remember me.

Edit: I see an option for setting number of results on screen for modern cocktails but not pre-prohibition. Also I see one in the reviews but it doesn't work.

The main site and forum are entirely different software on different databases (hence the need for two log-ins). I'll look into the time-out thing and the results numbers.

When I open the page for the reviews of the Edouard, there are the following messages:

Warning: imagejpeg() [function.imagejpeg]: Unable to open '/home/wormwood/public_html/images/stories/jreviews/tn/tn_56_01_1186707833.jpg' for writing in /home/wormwood/public_html/components/com_jreviews/scripts/thumbnail/php4/thumbnail.inc.php on line 480

Warning: imagejpeg() [function.imagejpeg]: Unable to open '/home/wormwood/public_html/images/stories/jreviews/tn/tn_56_041_1186707833.jpg' for writing in /home/wormwood/public_html/components/com_jreviews/scripts/thumbnail/php4/thumbnail.inc.php on line 480

Doesn't happen on other pages for other reviews.