39 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:19 AM

OK, so there have been lots of mentionings of St. Germain in the past few days, due to it being featured at the TotC.

I had the fortune of sitting next to Robert Cooper (the President of the company) on the way back to Dulles on Sunday. After a nice conversation, we exchanged business cards, and I had invited him and his wife out to dinner next time he's in the DC area.

Well, low and behold, I get a package today.

Attached File  st_germain.JPG   53.02KB   19 downloads

A very nice gentleman! He also has a fine product by the way. The best way I can describe it is flavors of pear and lychee. Makes very refreshing cocktails.

So I'm going to sit back and enjoy a few St. Germain cocktails, and maybe a few Mojito Parisien.

St. Germain Cocktail:

2 oz Dry White Wine (preferably Savignon Blanc) or Champagne (Sparkling wine or Prosecco)
1 1/2 shots St. Germain
2 Shots Soda water

Mojito Parisien:

10 mint leaves
2 lime wedges
2 shots white rum
2 shots St. Germain
simple syrup to taste

Muddle lime and mint, add other ingredients. Fill glass with ice and stir. Add simple syrup and maybe a splash of soda water to taste.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#2 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• 3,302 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:22 AM

Must you?
"I really like depriving myself of things. It's fun! Very monastic." - Kosmo

#3 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:29 AM

I know, I know. But I didn't post it to brag. I just felt the need to, because it was so completely unnecessary for him to send this. I thought he deserved some props.

The funny thing is, as I told you already, I had ordered some from Park Ave Liquors on Tuesday, so I'll have a nice stash!

Park Ave is selling it over the phone for aprox $30 per bottle, excluding shipping. They ship to quite a few states.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#4 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:35 AM

Nice goin', Shabbz! :cheers:

That really is one of the prettiest bottles I've seen in a long time. Someone swiped mine when I went up for a taste of the 1944 Creme Yvette. Lars, who was sitting next to me, pleaded innocence.

Strangely, he walked out with four bottles of the stuff. Four.

I'm just saying.

#5 cocktailchronicles

cocktailchronicles

• Content Team
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:45 AM

St. Germain Cocktail:

2 oz Dry White Wine (preferably Savignon Blanc) or Champagne (Sparkling wine or Prosecco)
1 1/2 shots St. Germain
2 Shots Soda water

Someone walked up and handed one of these to me in the lobby of the Monteleone, right after the Lost Ingredients panel on Thursday. I was really impressed -- I'd tried the St. Germain a couple of times, and kinda liked it, but this drink really did it for me (the one I was given was made with Moet & Chandon White Star champagne). It helped that it was in a plastic cup, so I could walk down Royal St., sipping at it on a hot day. Nicely done.
The Cocktail Chronicles - a humble little drinking site

"It was a game that you could only beat by being in the know, and Eastern pikers had no business out there. I was too busy experimenting with the green stuff--straight, drips and frappes--to snuggle up to the clique that knew how all the races were going to be run, one, two, three, and that's why they put the final crimp in me within two weeks after I hit San Francisco."
--Clarence Louis Cullen, Tales of the Ex-Tanks

#6 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:01 PM

I just want to say, before all these witnesses, that your contributions to TOTC were absolutely fantastic. :cheers:

#7 cocktailchronicles

cocktailchronicles

• Content Team
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:28 PM

Thanks, Brooks :blush:
The Cocktail Chronicles - a humble little drinking site

"It was a game that you could only beat by being in the know, and Eastern pikers had no business out there. I was too busy experimenting with the green stuff--straight, drips and frappes--to snuggle up to the clique that knew how all the races were going to be run, one, two, three, and that's why they put the final crimp in me within two weeks after I hit San Francisco."
--Clarence Louis Cullen, Tales of the Ex-Tanks

#8 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

• 3,825 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:31 PM

Someone swiped mine when I went up for a taste of the 1944 Creme Yvette. Lars, who was sitting next to me, pleaded innocence.

Strangely, he walked out with four bottles of the stuff. Four.

I believe that in another thread he claims that he wasn't really keen on it.

How does one end up with four bottles of something you don't think is really great?

"Good is the only investment that never fails." Thoreau.
"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Distiller and Proprietor, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. DSP-NY-15019. www.delawarephoenix.com

#9 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:16 PM

The thrill of stealing liquor samples from middle-aged men overrides all other considerations.

#10 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

• 3,825 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:10 PM

:shock:

"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Distiller and Proprietor, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. DSP-NY-15019. www.delawarephoenix.com

#11 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:33 PM

Cooper has style. The back story on this stuff is amazing.

Not only is it an instant modern classic, but the packaging and promotional material is first class. Anyone would think the stuff had been around for a hundred years or more.

The bottle? Designed, and the prototype hand-carved, by Robert himself. The promo material? He designed it all himself. A true renaissance man, a man after my own heart.

I gotta go see if I got some white wine.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#12 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:45 PM

First class is right. In every detail.

#13 metodd1

metodd1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:36 PM

this drink really did it for me (the one I was given was made with Moet & Chandon White Star champagne).

I agree. This was the best St. Germain cocktail out of the 5 they had, although I liked them all. If you go to Lenell's website, she has it and I was told that she will ship pretty much anywhere.

Nice score on that bottle Shabba! That's awesome. I thought the story behind the stuff was great, and I quite liked it too. I got a couple of sample bottles, almost all gone. I'll have to order a proper sized portion now.
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It stands at the cradle of true art and true science. He to whom this feeling is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed. -AE

#14 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,181 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:40 PM

The packaging is very nice. We enjoyed his presentation and the drinks. The St. Germain cocktail is very refreshing.

The Precious Bride sipped St. Germain neat and approved heartily.

I was under the impression it was difficult to obtain. I'll be shopping.

:)
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#15 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

• 3,825 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:17 AM

Mr. Cooper clearly knows his product and his clientele.

His little samples have gone a long way to creating life-long customers.

#16 Nymphadora

Nymphadora

Very silly. Very silly indeed.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 06:55 AM

I sipped some in a cocktail (I have to start remembering names!), but what struck me was the WONDERFUL aroma. Like a delicate perfume.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

#17 MASTERPC

MASTERPC

Just me

• Diamond Member
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 04:25 AM

I know, I know. But I didn't post it to brag. I just felt the need to, because it was so completely unnecessary for him to send this. I thought he deserved some props.

Absolutely! Nothing wrong with a little braggadocio, Shabba. That's great!

I'm gonna but some S. Blanc in the fridge for tonight and give it a try. :cheers:
"I read an article recently on the dangers of heavy drinking..
Scared the shit out of me.
So, that's it! After today, no more reading."

#18 metodd1

metodd1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:43 AM

Little snippet from BevWorld about St. Germain
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It stands at the cradle of true art and true science. He to whom this feeling is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed. -AE

#19 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• 2,019 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:08 AM

I don't know why I haven't gotten around to trying this stuff before.
Man o man, is this good.
All the things you guys said about it in this thread are right on. It's an instant classic, tastes like it's been around for a hundred years. The bottle is cool as hell, and is also an instant classic. I'm going to try putting it in a lot of things.

damn.
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#20 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• 3,302 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:11 AM

That's why I ordered two.
Drank the first in one weekend.
I love the fresh hop and grapefruit tones.
"I really like depriving myself of things. It's fun! Very monastic." - Kosmo

#21 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:26 AM

It's a staple in my bar now. Even though it has such a strong, distinctive flavor, it's amazingly versatile in an array of cocktails.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#22 valancy

valancy

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:09 PM

My wife is happily sipping the St. Germain & Pineapple Cosmo as we speak. I have a St. Germain Gin & Tonic. Both are quite yummy. We didn't have it in time for our champagne + a liqueur cocktail bar we set up for Christmas, but it's definitely going to be there the next time we do that. It's high on my list of favorites, for being interesting and different yet very drinkable.

#23 biznacho

biznacho

• PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:38 PM

Every time I pass this stuff in the liquor store I have to force myself not to stuff a bottle into my basket. Not that I have any drinks in mind that could benefit from it, I just want the pretty bottle. It's sezzy! (I think I get a corner cut off my 'Man Card' for those last two sentences...)

#24 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,724 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:43 PM

If the card is the only thing being cut, everything should be okay. ;)

It's good enough with a bit of soda water. And damn refreshing! Especially after being on the road for several hours...T and Maggie!

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#25 Chris

Chris

• PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:56 PM

I normally just drink it with ice.
It's so good I almost hate mixing it with anything else and masking the flavor.
"This is their busted future, and this is our dreams."

#26 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:20 PM

Agreed and agreed.
It's simply part of the bar.
So is the Creme de Violette. Wonderful in it's own way. :cheers:

#27 MMarking

MMarking

Resident Francophile

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:45 PM

A splash in the botom of the glass before you pour in the champagne is my personal favorite. :thumbup:
Good friends are the family you wish you had been born into.

War is not the answer, for only love can conquer hate.
Marvin Gaye

#28 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,181 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 07:28 AM

That sounds tasty, even without the champagne. ;)
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#29 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,724 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 03:03 PM

Indeed! :cheers:

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#30 Dangermonkey

Dangermonkey

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:01 PM

I Ioved the bottle,press kit and the whole package-especially the contents- I was so taken with it I spent some time trying to make some new cocktails with it.
Here is a link to some of my efforts in that direction:http://www.spiritsre...st-germain.html
I' m still working on quite a few more but it's hard to find St Germain up in my neck of the woods - or should I just say woods - more accurate.

"Hell Is My Natural Habitat"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association