Gwydion Stone

Absinthe Marteau Verte Classique - Swiss Release

I don't know if they (Tuthilltown guys) ever got around to making a batch. It's remarkable how much can change in a year.
I spoke to him early this year and if memory serves, I believe he indicated that things didn't work out. Perhaps in light of recent developments, he should reconsider. Reading through that post, it is very ironic how things turned out given peoples feelings/opinions then.

One of the main points when you read M. Pillet's testimony, is the variance in outcomes one can get when following a "recipe." Give two distillers the same absinthe/gin/whatever recipe, ask them to make it, and you will get two different things. Both will be recognizable as absinthe/gin/whatever, but the variances in ingredient sourcing, equipment, expertise, etc., will have a marked effect on the final product. That's one of the reasons why Jade PF1901 is somewhat recognizable as a Pernod Fils-like absinthe, but falls way short of being called a "clone."

The chartreuse recipe is only known by 3 monks sworn to secrecy!

Actually to two and it is not marketing assuming since when monks (benedictines, trappistes, capucines) deal with spirits (herbal liqueurs in the first place).

What is a marketing, however is boasting of 130 ingredients what has been questioned several times as some of the ingredients had to be removed from the recipe. For the colouration of Chartreuse verte three ingredients are believed to be used: tansy, saffron and spinach.

Hmmm, this is great news for the guy who likes to sit back with some good Absinthe and his sweetheart and/or some friends. I am so happy for you Hiram as I am for anyone I like who gets to do something that they love, are good at, and benefits humanity.

And just think... I have a quasi prototype t-shirt. How cool is that?

By best wishes and support to you.

Wow, I'm pretty late to discover this thread...haven't been around that much lately. But, wow, congratulations Hiram! Fantastic news, and I can't wait to have the opportunity to try it!

Thanks, Stomp. I have no idea what it will take to get it into Canada, but once I've got the US down, I'll sure try it.

In the meantime, Okanagan Spirits' Frank Dietrich is doing a fine job on his first absinthe. Mighty tasty and really affordable.

$55 cdn for 375 ml? I don't want to get into a big debate here, compared to Jade and the like, but even using Lucid as a benchmark that's pretty darn pricey to me.

In the meantime, Okanagan Spirits' Frank Dietrich is doing a fine job on his first absinthe. Mighty tasty and really affordable.

I've been in touch with him...I'm really looking forward to this one. From all reports he's done a really good job with it. It's a blanche, right?

I believe it's going to be a verte, but the sample I tasted was pre-coloration.

$55 cdn for 375 ml? I don't want to get into a big debate here, compared to Jade and the like, but even using Lucid as a benchmark that's pretty darn pricey to me.
Wow, that's a lot more than I had heard it was going to be, but still, Jade is around $145USD per liter and the Okanagan is about $136USD per liter, not incuding shipping. Lucid is $80 a liter.

This is like one of those Art Linkletter (or Cosby) moments, where the kid says the darndest thing, and all the grown-ups laugh.

Oh. Right.

thumb_1164592259.gif

My, my...what I've missed for being off forum for a time. Congratulations, Hiram! It's great to hear you've thrown your hat into the ring. Cheers!

Congrats Hiram. Seems a short time ago there was only hushed kitchen table conversation.... now Marteau has gone international and the future of Absinthe in the USA is clearing. Like a certain gonzo rocker would say "Beat em up with the truth" and you will win every time.

Bon Chance

:cheers: