#211 LeRoy

LeRoy

Shifty eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 07:35 PM

Ah, Yes...
Weeeeeeeeeeeee!!! :)

"We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight"
HP Lovecraft

http://yourinspirationathome.com.au

#212 metodd1

metodd1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 07:58 PM

Deluge, you are making me cry. I hate you.

I second that. ;)
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It stands at the cradle of true art and true science. He to whom this feeling is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed. -AE

#213 mrholland1978

mrholland1978

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:37 PM

i must say this thread has convinced me and i just placed my order for the Marteau and a bottle of Montmarte

#214 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:25 PM

I was really hoping to hear the soundtrack to those photos. Looks like a wonderful time.

#215 MASTERPC

MASTERPC

Just me

• Diamond Member
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:58 PM

I SO look forward to ordering again in the New Year. I've been a very good boy in keeping my promise to the other half in concentrating, exclusively, on our trip to Asia in 3 weeks however, I find it very difficult to not be part of the frenzy here. My OCD will kick in and I'm gonna order another big batch of sumtin' once that clock strikes! Can't wait to have your deliciousness in my arsenal, Hiram cheers: :cheers:
"I read an article recently on the dangers of heavy drinking..
Scared the shit out of me.
So, that's it! After today, no more reading."

#216 Wrayalien

Wrayalien

Gone Star Trekkin'

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:51 AM

:thumbup:
Don't listen to those who would water down ahhh burn up the true history of absinthe, rather research the facts to determine the significance of the Green Fairy. Those who can't do it themselves, get their kicks trying to undermine those who can.

#217 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,260 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:09 AM

The "made for cocktails" is kind of throwing me off. Is it made stronger in taste or something?

The "made for cocktails" is about the choice of botanicals used and in what proportions.

A blend of different cultivars of fennel and the inclusion of some less common botanicals give it a unique character when blended with other spirits that you wouldn't ordinarily get with most other absinthes. It's not radically different, it's a classic verte. I just didn't intend to clone a pre-ban brand, I wanted to create what would have stood as it's own unique brand in the pre-ban era; one that would bring an interesting and pleasant nuance when used in cocktails.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#218 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,804 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 09:58 AM

It's real nice when used in a classic Sazerac. :cheers:

Speaking of which, anyone pick up this book yet?

I'm enjoying it thoroughly.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#219 Alexander Dunn

Alexander Dunn

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 11:44 AM

Warning Warning! I'll also be posting some Paris pics when I get back in January. I haven't seen much mention of Le Marteau being available at Verte d'Absinthe, which is where I'm getting my fix (plus Belle Amie and Mystique). Look for the pics in the New Year, eh?
Ajenjo de la bebida para el Duende

#220 MASTERPC

MASTERPC

Just me

• Diamond Member
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 11:52 AM

Will do and look forward to it! :cheers:
"I read an article recently on the dangers of heavy drinking..
Scared the shit out of me.
So, that's it! After today, no more reading."

#221 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

• 3,825 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:11 PM

Maybe you should PM Deluge. He seems to have found some. Looks like he had a pretty good afternoon too. ;)

"Good is the only investment that never fails." Thoreau.
"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Distiller and Proprietor, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. DSP-NY-15019. www.delawarephoenix.com

#222 Wrayalien

Wrayalien

Gone Star Trekkin'

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:03 PM

:cheers: I'm having a excellent glass of hammer as I type this .......... but I wish I was in Paris listening to Deluge serenade the masses. oh well I can dream ..... :wave2:
Don't listen to those who would water down ahhh burn up the true history of absinthe, rather research the facts to determine the significance of the Green Fairy. Those who can't do it themselves, get their kicks trying to undermine those who can.

#223 Marc

Marc

absintheoriginals.com

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 01:23 AM

So, from what I know, the french version is lower in Fennel (because of the fucking stupid french regulations about fenchone).
I've only tried the "international" version so far, but I would be curious to have a side by side tasting session to see if the difference is noticeable. Someone on the french forum didn't really notice the fennel of the french version, whereas I could taste it perfectly.
Hiram, have you sampled both ?

#224 printmkr

printmkr

• PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 02:03 PM

OK, so I ordered two "Absinthe Marteau Verte Classique" and I notice the description on the back is all German or Swiss. Any chance of an English translation? Also, at the next green hour, can we bring empties to be autographed? Or is that is what's called "state's evidence"?

Regarding the label. I notice the Swiss cross and what is now being referred to as "the Hammer". The other one looks like a gavel. Is this a Mason thing or what? I know you probably put a lot of thought into the label, so I would be interested in hearing about the process.

Also, is it true Prototype 33 is yours? I am keeping the bottle. Could be collectible.

I have not tasted it yet. Putting it off, perhaps Christmas?
"...anyone who listens to an artist talk should have his eyes examined."
Claes Oldenberg

#225 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,260 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 03:29 PM

So, from what I know, the french version is lower in Fennel (because of the fucking stupid french regulations about fenchone)... Hiram, have you sampled both ?

I have not in fact tasted the "French version" yet. It shouldn't be substantially different, since it really doesn't take a lot of adjusting to make the difference.

OK, so I ordered two "Absinthe Marteau Verte Classique" and I notice the description on the back is all German or Swiss. Any chance of an English translation? Also, at the next green hour, can we bring empties to be autographed? Or is that is what's called "state's evidence"?

Sure if you want--for what it's worth.

Regarding the label. I notice the Swiss cross and what is now being referred to as "the Hammer". The other one looks like a gavel. Is this a Mason thing or what?

It's a reference to Masonic ideals, but the crossed gavels aren't specifically a Masonic symbol. There's a description up-thread somewhere, or in the other Marteau thread.

Also, is it true Prototype 33 is yours?

Yep.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#226 Marc

Marc

absintheoriginals.com

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:32 AM

The first glass I had immediately after I opened the bottle had that fennel funky smell and taste that I easily recognized from the Matter distillery.
Now that it has aired a little, profile has changed and I must admit that it's damn good and well balanced, in a floral and complex way. The aromas are explosive, undescribable.
That's something I would drink regularly if I had a six-pack of it, as a change from classically profiled absinthes.

#227 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:34 AM

Review up, tasty stuff :cheers:

Posted Image

Per my review title, I was curious about the Masonic symbolism used on the label. Marteau translates to Hammer, but then again it also could just be a name. And iirc isn't Hiram the name of a gavel? Questions questions! Perfect material to consider over a tasty absinthe!

#228 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,976 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:49 AM

You might want to check the profile of its creator. ;)

#229 Nymphadora

Nymphadora

Very silly. Very silly indeed.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:35 AM

I vaguely remember a conversation with our beloved Hiram about the design in NOLA. Mind I was a bit tipsy at the time.

If I remember correctly, there is a Masonic influence. Something about the fruits of the mind and of labor combined.

Of course, he could have just been humoring the drunk blonde at his shoulder.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

#230 Rick Andress

Rick Andress

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:31 AM

Keenly observant. :thumbup:
"Oh wad a gif the gif he gie us to see ourselves as others see us" -Robert Burns

#231 Meatwaggon

Meatwaggon

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:06 PM

Maybe Hiram is a Mason.... :devil:
"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Helfrich verte" - Anthony Hopkinns
"Leave the gun. Take the Rossoni" - Peter Clemenzza
"Give me wormwood, or give me death!" - Patrick Henrry
"I find your lack of louche....disturbing" - James Earl Jjones
"No maceration without distillation!" - Reverend Jonathan Mayhhew
"It is by absinthe alone I set my mind in motion" - Frank Herrbert

#232 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,260 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:46 PM

Ya think?

www.absinthemarteau.com

#233 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:04 PM

Well I see the league of smartasses is out in force this evening ;)

#234 Rick Andress

Rick Andress

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:09 PM

Sir, that would be The League of Extraordinary Smartasses.
"Oh wad a gif the gif he gie us to see ourselves as others see us" -Robert Burns

#235 Martin Lake

Martin Lake

The Great Lover of Mankind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:23 PM

You misspelled enormous.
Ah, la petite mort; such beautiful suicide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association