234 replies to this topic

#61 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:19 PM

In most classic drinks, absinthe was used like a bitters, as a simple condiment in the drink. A tiny amount has a noticible effect on the flavor of the drink, even though you can't really taste anise.

I don't believe in absinthe "mixed drinks"

That's okay, Marcel, they believe in you. ;)

In light of the current controversy regarding the very "robust" green color of some current absinthes, can you make any comment on the coloration? Thanks.

There's a controversy? I'm a fan of the classic peridot/olive hues myself, a little on the light side. One of the early prototypes was a bit too dark for my tastes, and I believe the first release will be much more to my liking. We'll have to wait and see.

Do you think LdF will carry it, since they have carried at least some of the other Matter Distillery products?

"For now, starting probably in early October, it will be available exclusively from Markus at absinthe-distribution.com; it might be picked up by the other vendors later." More than that would be idle speculation; so many factors involved.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#62 Herr Doktor Von Ghoul

Herr Doktor Von Ghoul

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:31 PM

Looks like a really interesting absinthe. I shall pray the Great Old Ones and ask them to align the stars in the right configuration so i could get my hands on one bottle. Bless Canada! :cheers:
That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons even death may die.

#63 precenphix

precenphix

Dreamer / Noise-maker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 07:17 PM

My posts have been few and far between, but thank Christ I've tuned in for this and thank Christ some of the pros are joining in on what might be the great (as in quality, not quantity) absinthe rush in the states. A push in the right direction...

I'll avoid any further comments on the "pros/greats" to avoid being "called out".

Congrats. I'll louche a glass in October, hopefully, around the time of my birthday, which will probably be the next order I'll make.

Well done. Well done, indeed! :yahoo:
Those with knowledge easily sense the truth of things. Those with egos built up on rumor and fancy, tend to maintain a hard line. - Tatan (Evan Camomile)

#64 MTgrayling

MTgrayling

Thymallus arcticus viridius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 07:32 PM

Maybe you should thank Hiram. :sarc:
I had my taste buds amputated many years ago after an unfortunate toothbrush accident, any reviews or opinions I give are suspect and should be viewed as utterly useless.

Jeremy Bentham, the Pieta, and a Precious Few Grayling ; by David Quammen

#65 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 07:37 PM

:laf: I'm well-connected you know. B)

www.absinthemarteau.com

#66 Fixedspiral

Fixedspiral

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 07:48 PM

^ That's what she said! :tongue:

What's the size(s) and ABV?

#67 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:05 PM

One of the best drinks I had all weekend was really just a sip of something Lars brought out of a TOTC seminar. Absinthe (Lucid, in fact) was one of the ingredients, along with......damn. Can't remember what, because it was some bizarre fruit puree or juice, plus a third something. If I'd seen the recipe on the page, I would never have tried it.

Lars, if you see this post, help me out one last time. What was in that drink?

'A little slice of heaven' is what was in it! I wandered into the Ciroc Vodka session (onacount of the really hot presenter gal... her and her husband ended up becoming really good friends o' mine by the third night. Love that crowd!) and it was the final cocktail that they passed around.

It was-

Moet and Chandon White Star champagne
Ciroc Vodka
Lucid
a puree of muddled blackberry and pomegranates
Lemon twist.

It was crisp, sweet but not-at-all too sweet, with enough fruit and spice. The Ciroc blended really, really well with the citrus elements actually (more a nose thing then a palette thing).

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#68 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:32 PM

Thanks!

#69 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:56 PM

Welcome.

On an utterly unrelated note, I just found it funny that my title under my avatar states 'advanced member'. :)

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#70 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:56 AM

I don't believe in absinthe "mixed drinks"

That's okay, Marcel, they believe in you. ;)

No, they don't. :thumbdown:

In light of the current controversy regarding the very "robust" green color of some current absinthes, can you make any comment on the coloration? Thanks.

There's a controversy? I'm a fan of the classic peridot/olive hues myself, a little on the light side. One of the early prototypes was a bit too dark for my tastes, and I believe the first release will be much more to my liking. We'll have to wait and see.

I was referring to this. I take no position on this, but I was hoping you would make some kind of unambiguous statement about the nature of the coloration (i.e. whether it is natural and traditional). If you don't want to, fine, but I think it's fair to raise the issue.

#71 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:44 PM

Marcel, to be honest, don't knock it til you have tried it... or at least one or two. Frankly, absinthe cocktails go back as far as the absinthe boom of 1890 anyway. Drinks like the Sazerac, Absinthe Fizz, Cafe Adelaide, Suissette, and several others have a great deal of writing on them for better then 100 years. I am partial to it drank with merely water and absinthe (and sugar sometimes) more often then anything as well, but I must have had 10 Saz's last week alone- along with 4 other absinthe cocktails. While I didn't like them all (the "En-Seine" comes to mind) most were pretty good.

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#72 AlyssaDyane

AlyssaDyane

Now with less gall.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:34 PM

Congrats Hiram. Glad to hear of this. It is yummy.
Nothing is simpler than to complete pictures in a superficial sense. Never does one lie so cleverly as then. - Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec

#73 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:18 PM

Thanks. ;)

I was referring to this. I take no position on this, but I was hoping you would make some kind of unambiguous statement about the nature of the coloration (i.e. whether it is natural and traditional). If you don't want to, fine, but I think it's fair to raise the issue.

Ah, I understand now. I hadn't seen that thread. That's a whole lot of Google scholars there.

My distilling and coloring protocol and botanical content would be considered both natural and traditional by all but the most fanatically conservative absinthe geek. It's a slight variation on Duplais (the author, not Markus' product), with no ingredients you wouldn't find in a traditional verte recipe. I hope that's unambiguous enough. I can't think of more I could say without simply giving out the recipe and process.

Speaking of which. I just want to toss this out there, it's not directed at you or any one person in particular; just some thoughts I had while reading that thread. I perfectly understand some of the concerns expressed over there and fully support the need of consumers to feel secure and assured that they are getting what they pay for and that the product is in reality what it is represented to be. That's a large part of the founding principles of the Wormwood Society and of course why we come down so hard on absinthe-pretenders.

Still, I'm surprised—no, not surprised, just disappointed—at the apparent attitude of entitlement that permeates parts our community. Has the Czech phenomena made us that paranoid? Or is it the carefully engineered anti-CO rhetoric created by one HGer in order to boost his own clandestine sales? Why do so many people feel justified in demanding proprietary info? I've been pretty critical in the past, probably downright hostile, about marketing practices and business strategies, but I don't recall ever backing anyone—except maybe a fauxsinther—up to the wall and demanding "What's in it? How do you do it? Explain yourself!" Anyone that tries that with me can pretty much kiss my ass.

If Markus and Oliver have found a way to keep traditionally colored absinthe green, more power to them (and they should feel free to let me know it). If someone wants to challenge that assertion, they need to come up with more than arm-chair, internet-based accusations. Something like a GC/MS readout. I understand the skepticism, but I think the polemics are a bit out of proportion.

I'm further disappointed by the general adversarial attitude of some producers which seems aimed at discrediting the other guy. It looks an awful lot like sour grapes. People critique a product based on who made it, not what it is. Mediocre products are hailed as the finest CO produced in the last ninety years while perfectly fine products are called useless sewage, all depending on who made them and who you hang out with or don't want to get beaten up by. I'm in favor of double-blind tastings and there should be more of them.

We should be developing a much more sportsmanlike style of competition. It doesn't have to be this way. I've given competitors and potential competitors sound advice and feedback on their products. In one case, I'm actually helping a competitor to bring his product to market—a dream come true for him (as for many of us) and I wish him success. Dudes, the field is wide open, there's plenty of room for everyone right now.

Play fair, and bring it!

Pax.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#74 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,792 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:23 PM

You go boy. :cheers:
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#75 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:25 PM

People critique a product based on who made it, not what it is. Mediocre products are hailed as the finest CO produced in the last ninety years while perfectly fine products are called useless sewage, all depending on who made them and who you hang out with or don't want to get beaten up by. I'm in favor of double-blind tastings and there should be more of them.

YES.

#76 Dr. Mauve

Dr. Mauve

Professeur d’Absinthe

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:52 PM

The irony of all of this is astounding!

#77 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:02 PM

I'm further disappointed by the general adversarial attitude <snip> which seems aimed at discrediting the other guy. It looks an awful lot like sour grapes.

Quote nominated for "Understatement of the Day." :3869-sadbanana: :angry2:

#78 Wrayalien

Wrayalien

Gone Star Trekkin'

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:00 PM

I guess it was the same back then, slinging the words of discontent and acting so pious to others who want to learn but are constantly slammed just because of their ignorance.

For every success there are slips and falls. It's how many times one slips and picks himself before he succeeds is the test of success.

I have had the good opportunity to sample Eric's as well as Marteau and I would buy both.

I have met and respect both sides and would like to see the differences between them challenged, not by accusations and enuendo, but by the product that I know you/they et. al. can produce. I also feel that the Double blind tasting is the way to go.

So let me thunk .....

Pay to play
get off the pot
show me the proof
Just Do it

And thats my 2cents
Don't listen to those who would water down ahhh burn up the true history of absinthe, rather research the facts to determine the significance of the Green Fairy. Those who can't do it themselves, get their kicks trying to undermine those who can.

#79 Jaded Prole

Jaded Prole

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:21 PM

Every product must stand or fall on it's own merits regardless of the maker. That includes quality ingredients, aroma, looks and taste. There is a difference between knowing precisely what those ingredients are and knowing a proprietary recipe. Even given the same recipe, it is very doubtful that anyone else can duplicate a particular absinthe. Heck, it's hard enough for anyone to make the exact brew twice and everyone's equipment and techniques are individual, which makes the competitive aspect a moot point.

As for the L'Artisinale, I've yet to taste a commercial absinthe that comes close but in time, I'm sure there will be many as available absinthes improve.

As for "sour grapes," I think that is a misplaced analogy. Nevertheless, the unnecessary competition between makers could get ugly -- "Absinthe of the Sierra Madre."

#80 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,792 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:00 PM

Every product must stand or fall on it's own merits regardless of the maker.

Many of us wish that were the case.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#81 Le Gimp

Le Gimp

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:05 PM

In the long run, I still believe this to be true.

I'd still be interested to know how much of the Absinthe market the readers of this, FV and the lounge account for. Probably not more than 20% all things considered (Commercial Distribution in Europe and ROW).

#82 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:09 PM

The irony of all of this is astounding!

It certainly is.

Every product must stand or fall on it's own merits regardless of the maker.

But they don't, do they? People critique absinthes they've never seen or tasted. To pretend that there's not a lot of cronyism going on is totally disingenuous.

That includes quality ingredients, aroma, looks and taste. There is a difference between knowing precisely what those ingredients are and knowing a proprietary recipe.

There is??? :blink: How do you figure? Ever hear of a secret ingredient? A maker can release as much information as he pleases, but isn't, and shouldn't be, required to give any.

Even given the same recipe, it is very doubtful that anyone else can duplicate a particular absinthe. Heck, it's hard enough for anyone to make the exact brew twice and everyone's equipment and techniques are individual.

That's beside the point. Tell it to Coca-Cola. :laf:

www.absinthemarteau.com

#83 Wrayalien

Wrayalien

Gone Star Trekkin'

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:10 PM

:drunk: An analogy to me would be like the three forums together in a large self sealing ballon all trying hard to break the membrane and nobody is sharp enough to break out...... except one
Don't listen to those who would water down ahhh burn up the true history of absinthe, rather research the facts to determine the significance of the Green Fairy. Those who can't do it themselves, get their kicks trying to undermine those who can.

#84 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:19 PM

In the long run, I still believe this to be true.

You're right. I should clarify that I'm just referring to our little corner of the universe.

I'd still be interested to know how much of the Absinthe market the readers of this, FV and the lounge account for. Probably not more than 20% all things considered (Commercial Distribution in Europe and ROW).

I'd say 20% is a very generous estimate. I'd put it more at maybe 3% or 4% of the total market, if that.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#85 Le Gimp

Le Gimp

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:48 PM

Maybe so. Especially if you include Absinth.

#86 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

• 3,825 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:38 PM

If it isn't true now, it will be if absinthe becomes popular.

And Absinth has next to zero chance of being approved by the TTB and FDA on so many grounds, from false advertising, promoting it as a drug or having drug-like effects, to using artificial colorants not approved by the FDA. Let alone some not even containing any wormwood at all.

"Good is the only investment that never fails." Thoreau.
"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Distiller and Proprietor, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. DSP-NY-15019. www.delawarephoenix.com

#87 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:48 PM

Ok then, apropos of almost nothing, except my curiosity, I've always wondered almost the same thing, except in my mind I'm only talking, really, about the three or so producers or distributors of "real" absinthe exclusively. In other words, for example, do the three forums constitute LdF's entire customer base? That seems, depending on how much I've had to drink, either entirely ludicrous or entirely possible.
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#88 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 08:19 PM

Every product must stand or fall on it's own merits regardless of the maker. That includes quality ingredients, aroma, looks and taste. There is a difference between knowing precisely what those ingredients are and knowing a proprietary recipe. Even given the same recipe, it is very doubtful that anyone else can duplicate a particular absinthe. Heck, it's hard enough for anyone to make the exact brew twice and everyone's equipment and techniques are individual.

As for the L'Artisinale, I've yet to taste a commercial absinthe that comes close but in time, I'm sure there will be many as available absinthes improve.

As for "sour grapes," I think that is a misplaced analogy. Nevertheless, the unnecessary competition between makers could get ugly -- "Absinthe of the Sierra Madre."

It's called capitalism, and it is good for everyone.

And it IS necessary. I love Hirams hootch, but I want to see 20 people try and top him, and the public can decide who wins. Hiram, I think, would agree with that set-up.

Maybe so. Especially if you include Absinth.

The number goes to 0.0045% if you do. We've ALL met 2 dozen people who've railed on about their 'absinthe trip', and you know it.

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#89 Sonny Mann

Sonny Mann

• PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 08:32 PM

Hearty congratulations, Hiram, looks like youse done good! :cheers:

If I'm tipplin' again by October, I'll definitely lay in a supply.

It's very good, sir. You should lay in a supply anyway. Christmas presents, you know.
"I don't think very much....therefore, I might not be"

#90 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:14 PM

... I want to see 20 people try and top him, and the public can decide who wins. Hiram, I think, would agree with that set-up.

I sure appreciate your confidence but let's remember, I'm just starting out. There are some good absinthe makers on the scene and even more about to spring from the wings. I'm confident in my product, and believe it will do well, but if 20 makers top it, that means there's a lot of really good absinthe on the market; everybody wins. I can live with being in the top twenty-one.

www.absinthemarteau.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association