234 replies to this topic

#31 shinsain

shinsain

Wormwood Society Drug Czar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:10 AM

*takes a deep breath*

I knew if I stuck around THIS board you folks would get this done somehow. I knew there was a reason I've been here for two years...

Good luck. We'll be waiting.

Aaron

EDIT: does this mean no more threads about smoking wormwood? I'm just asking...
Nay, be what thou wilt; but I will bury him: well for me to die in doing that. I shall rest, a loved one with him whom I have loved, sinless in my crime; for I owe a longer allegiance to the dead than to the living: in that world I shall abide for ever.

#32 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:22 AM

If I'm tipplin' again by October, I'll definitely lay in a supply.

You would.

I'm going to drink mine.
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#33 hissykitties

hissykitties

Ms. Sassypuss

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:32 AM

Indeed™! Congrats.
"The less I behave like Whistler's mother the night before, the more I look like her the morning after." ~ Tallulah Bankhead

#34 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:34 AM

EDIT: does this mean no more threads about smoking wormwood? I'm just asking...

:laf:
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#35 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,666 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:37 AM

If I'm tipplin' again by October, I'll definitely lay in a supply.

You would.

I'm going to drink mine.

When you really Absomphesize, bathing in the stuff's no problem.

Besides, I'll bet it would make a better cologne than Hai Karate.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#36 Le Gimp

Le Gimp

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:46 AM

From what I've read, you developed this Absinthe to be used in mixed drinks.

How does it do in a DITA?

Any recomendations on which Champaigne it goes with?

Congratulations and best wishes on your endevour.

#37 SoulShade

SoulShade

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:50 AM

Congratulations!
Let's know what we're talking about here.

#38 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:01 AM

Congratulations!

I don't believe in absinthe "mixed drinks" but I look forward to tasting it with water!

In light of the current controversy regarding the very "robust" green color of some current absinthes, can you make any comment on the coloration? Thanks.

Edited by Marcel, 25 July 2007 - 08:02 AM.

#39 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,181 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:07 AM

Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#40 Mindshifter

Mindshifter

Headspace clearing

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:12 AM

Congratulations, Hiram! You have my warmest well-wishes.
:arrr: :thumbup: :arrr:
The absinthe extends life, the absinthe expands consciousness, the absinthe is vital to space travel.

#41 ejellest

ejellest

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:09 AM

I'm wondering about your thoughts on the economics of Absinthe in mixed drinks.

I assume that when you say it will cost about the same as the other Matter Absinthes, we're talking $60-80 US before shipping. This makes for a rather expensive bottle.

The upper end for spirits in mixed drinks tends to be around $30. I'm bad at this sort of cost analysis type stuff; but, most bars using premium spirits price their drinks around $10-15 US. We're talking about a pretty boutique market, then, where prices like that are sustainable. New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, London, etc.

However, it's true that in most well balanced cocktails where the Absinthe must co-exist with other flavors, contain not much more than a dash or two of Absinthe. So it's not that much of an issue, as long as you're talking about a bar that measures dashes.

Even traditional Absinthe Frappes or Absinthe Suissesse recipes usually only contain a pony (an ounce) of Absinthe, allowing you to price that about the same as a cocktail containing 2 oz of a spirit costing half as much. Though, modern recipes calling for Absinthe substitutes will need to be adjusted, if they are using "real" Absinthe. Another training issue.

I guess, leaving aside shipping, we're not talking about something costing too much more than some of the more expensive liqueurs, like Chartreuse (~$45 US), often used in about the same amount.

I've answered some of my own questions; but, what other challenges do you see getting your Absinthe onto the back bar and into cocktails?

~Erik
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, San Francisco, CA, USA

#42 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:23 AM

The way I see it, that's probably going to be more of a longer term game plan, which will be much easier to implement once it begins production here in the states. That alone will dramatically reduce production and shipping costs, and lead to a more financially viable (and attractive) use for absinthe in cocktails.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#43 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:51 AM

Great questions. One of the bars in NOLA is charging $20 a pop for a glass of absinthe. As you mention, the best absinthe cocktails contain only a dash or splash, so I expect not much will need to change in that area, but of course there's always marketing. I'm sure many places will charge more just because it's an absinthe drink.

How does it do in a DITA?

Any recomendations on which Champaigne it goes with?

You're asking the wrong guy. I'm not much of a champagne drinker in the first place, but I can't stand a DITA prepared according to Hemingway's instructions. I'd think just a splash in whatever you like already would be good.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#44 Ari (Eric Litton)

Ari (Eric Litton)

Meega, nala kweesta!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:38 AM

When some places sell basic mixed drinks for $10, I would assume absinthe will go for a high price long after the price of a bottle drops. Along those lines once it becomes more common in the US I think many bartenders will need to learn how to show off a louche so people will be entertained with their drink (beyond, "look High alcohol burns, isn't that amazing, I've never seen that before in my life" flaming drink)
"Oscar Wilde once traveled to an all-cat dimension and appeared on the Late-Late Show with Catman O'Brien."

#45 Nymphadora

Nymphadora

Very silly. Very silly indeed.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:37 PM

Ok, I have a confession.

I tasted my first flaming absinthe at TOTC. It was served by a blonde cutie, so I wasn't about to turn it down. Ugh! I couldn't stand that burned taste. People actually like that?

Since I was raised a Southern lass, I accepted the drink with a smile and "thank you".

I was asked which I preferred and, of course, I stated the non flame water drip. Unfortunately, I do think that the flame ritual will be popular at nightclubs because 'fire is cool'.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

#46 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:43 PM

It was served by a blonde cutie

Dan?
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#47 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• 2,019 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:55 PM

Bartenders do love to light the stuff on fire, it's their moment in the spotlight, and they think it makes them look cool and in-the-know. Doing a proper louche is more difficult, slower, and less entertaining to a crowd, but it is still a display of skill, and I'm hoping bartenders will slowly begin to adopt it, and maybe even learn to make it look cool, because it is.
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#48 Nymphadora

Nymphadora

Very silly. Very silly indeed.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:13 PM

Alan: Yep.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

#49 Ari (Eric Litton)

Ari (Eric Litton)

Meega, nala kweesta!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:16 PM

If bars didn't always have that coyote ugly mood lighting a louche is more entertaining to watch that a few seconds of flames. Someone needs to invent a mini lighting saucer that will show off the louche in a dark bar.

And this is slowly getting off topic. Ok, perhaps the famous no flame logo should be printed on the back of every bottle :) (maybe with the suggestion that everclear burns just as pretty but doesn't waste a good tasting drink.)
"Oscar Wilde once traveled to an all-cat dimension and appeared on the Late-Late Show with Catman O'Brien."

#50 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:35 PM

Fire is cool. One night in NOLA, Tom the Waiter at Arnaud's served Nymph, Lars, Robert and myself a spectaclular Café Brulot. Fire has its place in drinks, absinthe just happens not to be it.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#51 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:42 PM

Café Brûlot is the ticket. Slightly altered and iced, it's called Café Diable. I'll post the recipe in the recipe thread.

Someone needs to invent a mini lighting saucer that will show off the louche in a dark bar.

Well, there's this. Unfortunately, it pulses, and it's also really clunky looking. What about a glass-top bar, lit from underneath?

#52 Attack Accountant

Attack Accountant

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 02:51 PM

I have used that site before for beer glasses for my son's outdoor - in November - in Montana - wedding. It was a hoot at the reception, which was held at a state park on Flathead Lake. They glowed nicely for several hours. To clarify, the glasses and the guests both "glowed". :biggrin:
I think I'm funny but no one else does.

#53 ejellest

ejellest

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 03:00 PM

Fire is cool. One night in NOLA, Tom the Waiter at Arnaud's served Nymph, Lars, Robert and myself a spectaclular Café Brulot. Fire has its place in drinks, absinthe just happens not to be it.

Have you watched the Small Screen Network "Molecular Mixology" video, where Jamie Boudreau makes his Rosewater Rickey?

Molecular Mixology with Jamie Boudreau - The Rosewater Rickey

Robert Hess and Jamie Boudreau talk for the first 8 minutes or so; but, then he makes the drink. At about 11:12 he brulees some cherries with flamed angostura bitters. Gets a 2 to 3 foot beautiful orange flame on the sucker.

Very nice. Drink looks good too.

~Erik
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, San Francisco, CA, USA

#54 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 03:07 PM

I wish I'd gotten a chance to see Chris McMillan do Jerry Thomas' "Blue Blazer" last weekend.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#55 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

• 3,825 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 03:42 PM

I know I'm continuing off-topic, but in a bar, I really don't see the bartender taking the time to louche your drink for you while he/she explains the history of absinthe. Call me a skeptic if you will. ;)

"Good is the only investment that never fails." Thoreau.
"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Distiller and Proprietor, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. DSP-NY-15019. www.delawarephoenix.com

#56 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:50 PM

Nah. They pour the shot, you go to the fountain and louche it up. It's interactive!

www.absinthemarteau.com

#57 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 05:08 PM

I once heard that absinthe makes you cut off your ear. What's the straight scoop on that?

FRIGGIN AWESOME NEWS! I am sooo glad I got to sample it beforehand. It's like... bragging rights or something, ha!

and to all y'all... It is GOOD. No, damn good. You are seriously going to love this stuff from the moment it hits your lips.

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#58 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 05:21 PM

Do you think LdF will carry it, since they have carried at least some of the other Matter Distillery products?
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#59 metodd1

metodd1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 05:42 PM

I don't believe in absinthe "mixed drinks" but I look forward to tasting it with water!

Start with a Sazerac and see what you think. And yeah, absinthe is only used sparingly in most mixed drinks that it appears in as far as I know, but it's so evident that you don't need much to detect it.
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It stands at the cradle of true art and true science. He to whom this feeling is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed. -AE

#60 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:14 PM

One of the best drinks I had all weekend was really just a sip of something Lars brought out of a TOTC seminar. Absinthe (Lucid, in fact) was one of the ingredients, along with......damn. Can't remember what, because it was some bizarre fruit puree or juice, plus a third something. If I'd seen the recipe on the page, I would never have tried it.

Lars, if you see this post, help me out one last time. What was in that drink?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association