One night, 4 or 5 years ago, some work friends and I were in a bar having a loud old time, and somebody asked, "Hey, what's 'absinthe' "? I was the only one who knew even that it was green, and that's about it. I vowed to look into it, and, well, look where I am today. Here!

That being said, I'm the only one of the bunch that drinks it, but everybody knows it's my little obsession, and expects me to show up to a party with a bottle of it. They sniff, and I drink.

Most of my friends can take it or leave it. Except for 2 vegetarians who are also musician. There first taste of Absinthe was Duplais and they loved it. Being vegetarians the herbal taste is a big part of there cuisine. So Duplais fit right in along with Lucid and Brevin. I'm trying to get them to join the society.

You should thank who ever shout out the question for you! Or curse them for ruining your finances. ;)

I could just send him the Mastercard bill, I guess!

I've turned people on to it as a long lost gourmet treat, comparing it to rare cheeses and obscure cured meats.

In that context, people find it easy to "get it," even "I don't like licorice" people, and it helps to remove issues of cost and acquisition-- sharing absinthe openly makes it easy for people to enjoy it, and good friends always find ways to return a favor.

It helps if your friends are "I'll try anything once... or ten times" types of people... :twitchsmile:

I'd say most people definitely don't get it. But then, most people are lame, so that's to be expected.

Where are you? I thought you were here at the TOTC?

No. Not one of my friends... except all of you! Seriously, I catch a ton of gentle ribbing over my love of something that they just don't understand.

Then, I read Fixed's post, and it makes even more sense why they don't. I don't either.

Honestly, I don't really get myself. On one hand, there is this mystique that follows absinthe, which is mostly just a bunch of hearsay and sensationalism. Then there's the "artistic, refined" side... but in all actuality, wasn't absinthe a poor man's drink? I don't know... I'm probably overgeneralizing, but that is partially how I feel. Maybe part of it is the fact that it is taboo in the states, and the adolescent rebel in me still pokes his head out every once in a while.

It is quite tasty though! :cheers:

Eh. Whatever. Love it. Tastes great. Less filling (then drinking cream-n-lard warm).

I try not to mention my interest in absinthe to most of the people I know. I mentioned it once to one of my friends, and did not end up seeing or speaking with him for several weeks afterwards, but when we did reconnect I found that he had been horribly mislead into believing the better absinthes came from eastern Europe, along with many of the other popular misconceptions. I was able to explain it otherwise to him though, and he is still interested in trying absinthe, although I believe him to be disappointed in the truth. Another time I simply stated to some friends "I drink absinthe." after I had been asked what kinds of alcohol I chose to drink. Their response was humorous, two of the guys leaned back in their seats and with raised eyebrows said "Oh shit!" Out of fear of any misconceptions I hastily explained how I drank it the cold, correct way, which was understood by one of the guys since he had just finished taking the Hemingway class. So, in a long winded answer, no, most of my friends don't get me and my interest in absinthe, but some of them do.

I have found that most people have little to no idea what Absinthe involves, or is. Most only have heard of it from a movie or hear-say. Even when educated and presented with a freshly-louched glass of Absinthe, they simply don't want to try it.

Me personally? What attracted me to Absinthe was the connection to simpler, finer times. The ritual called to me. I like things that require a little effort- much like lighting up a pipe smoke rather than grabbing for a cigar. I like the accouterments associated with it all. When I think of someone enjoying a glass of Absinthe done the right way, I think to myself “now there is someone who has patience, and good taste”.

It seems that ‘these days’ people lack a lot of things; patience and good taste being some. Some people just don’t get it.

:g: All I can say is that the Grape Industry(Pre Ban/Post Ban) along with the unscrupulous spirit merchants have turned a genuine distilled art into something that continues to be presented wrongly by those who continue to practice aimless meandering dumbassity.

My boss yesterday after seeing a bottle on my desk.

Boss: What's that?

me: Absinthe.

Boss: What?

me: ABSINTHE.

Boss: I'm here.

me: No. Absintthhhhhhhhe.

Boss: Heh. What? I'm here.

I usually give some of those when I've been talking to someone long enough who I think might be interested in trying absinthe. I usually don't realize soon enough that they are more interested in just trying it than knowing about it. But as they used to say, knowing is half the bottle. :laf:

Hmm, interesting question.

Lou Costello is dead.

Alas, the real Stroller is also dead.

That Amber, I guess death becomes her...or maybe it's just those sexy horns. :devil: ;)

Most of my friends are beer and wine drinkers and think of my obsession with absinthe as just another one of those things that make me strange.

A friend of mine just came back from Canada and ran into some absinthe while visiting a liquor store. He thought about buying a bottle for me but had no idea of what was what. Besides, he got a little nervous thinking about driving it across the border and then having to fly it back to Maui since the girl told him it was illegal. I asked him what kinds they had there and he answered, "A blue one, a green one, and one in a brown bottle." I said if anything the one in the brown bottle would have been the best guess. He said, "That one was 80 bucks."

And so it goes for me and my friends.

Thankfully, my wife loves absinthe. But even she thinks I'm a little obsessed.

My local absinthe-drinking friends think I'm going way overboard.

Pointing out the people here whose experiences and collections obliterate mine doesn't really help any.

Well, if they are true friends of your's, they'll understand for sure.

My friends tend to think of my "thing" for absinthe to be lunacy.

Mind you, whenever they have tried (albeit Czech crap) they have only done so after imbibing a plethora of other inadvisables. So who's the lunatic? :yahoo:

I dunno I still see a trend in my friends- they either want to jump on the bandwagon at your expense and are always one to sample, but are too afraid to make a purchase. Or the others just don’t understand it; Course those being the ones brew home-made wine in 5 gallon plastic buckets in the basement and think that because I’m Italian that I’ll drink it.

Perhaps I am the odd one out. I mean, plastic bucket wine is all the rage in Pittsburgh… :thumbdown:

Don't judge a wine by the material of the fermentation vessel. Even absinthe created in wormwood casks may not be all you hope it is. It all depends more on the ingredients and skill of the creator.