• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Scott R. Cohen

Scott R. Cohen

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:15 AM

I'm not sure if I'm just not using the right vocabulary or what, but it seems that generally speaking people don't get why I am so enamored with absinthe.

I can tell them how it's a literal spirit from the past that led some great artists to inspiration (though more to ruin). I can tell them about how it virtually disappeared for a century and enjoying it today is coupled with a journey of rediscovery. I can tell them about how it makes me feel like I have a link to the Belle Epoch and if I close my eyes I can almost see myself sitting outside a French cafe with my glass of louched drink within reach. I can even tell them about how I get a certain sense of satisfaction (maybe even a touch of elitism) when I know the true history and at least a basic understanding of the making of absinthe and can quietly chuckle to myself as I read about others setting theirs aflame and that the "secondaries" are just like LSD.

All I get back is a look that says, "It's...a type of alcohol...hello!"

Who gets you?
"Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same." - Oscar Wilde

#2 scaper8

scaper8

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:23 AM

Face it, nobody gets the obsessed except the obsessed.

#3 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:24 AM

All I get back is a look that says, "It's...a type of alcohol...hello!"

That's enough for me.

The history is really interesting and I have read up on it a lot, but when I'm actually drinking a glass of absinthe all I'm really thinking about is things relating to that particular glass. Aroma, appearance, flavour, comparisons to other absinthes, and production.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#4 Fixedspiral

Fixedspiral

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:34 AM

Honestly, I don't really get myself. On one hand, there is this mystique that follows absinthe, which is mostly just a bunch of hearsay and sensationalism. Then there's the "artistic, refined" side... but in all actuality, wasn't absinthe a poor man's drink? I don't know... I'm probably overgeneralizing, but that is partially how I feel. Maybe part of it is the fact that it is taboo in the states, and the adolescent rebel in me still pokes his head out every once in a while.

It is quite tasty though! :cheers:

#5 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,002 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:51 PM

mystique
artistic
poor man's drink
taboo
tasty :cheers:

Looks to me like you've got it. ;)

#6 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:20 PM

I'm pretty much with Peridot on this one. Except that I also live in a very different cultural milieu. Tonight I took a nice glass of ClB over to the bikers' clubhouse with me, since I wasn't in the mood for beer or beering it up all night, especially. Nobody asks what I'm drinking. Not while I'm there, at least. And the thought that I would water down absinthe and sip it would be a weird idea to them anyway. I enjoy it, they accept that. And me. My "boss" (an old friend whom I haven't met face to face since I started working for him) thinks absinth(e - he's never met the real stuff) is horrid. It's a bit of a joke between us when we IM each other. I like what I like, I do what I want and the rest is interesting (or not) gloss. I obsess. I drink. I have my rituals. So do most of the other people I know. Different and the same.

#7 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,191 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:47 PM

To answer the question honestly, no.

I can drink what ever is handy if I just want to drink to get drunk. Everyone has a passion/obsession, I hope.

To me, absinthe is a good book in a glass. I read to relax and let my mind go. I louche a glass for nearly the same reasons. The louche is mesmerizing. The taste, complexity, aroma and being there is it for me.

Relax and louche up a glass. :cheers:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#8 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:14 PM

For me, it's definitely more than 'just booze'. My friends who like it feel the same. In addition to the unique quality of the drunk, which is really significant and tends to get overlooked once people realize there will be no hallucination, the mystique and ritual play a part in my appreciation, even when I'm just opening the bottle and pouring a glass. It ain't rum, or bourbon.

I don't talk about the green fairy, or play special music, but I also don't just "slam a few 'sinthes after a hard day on the line". Absinthe is different.
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#9 Zzz

Zzz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:04 PM

I have tried to get several friends into absinthe. But its failed attempt after failed attempt. I feeling I get is that most of the people who get obsessed with absinthe are fascinated by its history. That is why I tried it, and why I dedicated myself to it for some time. My friends do not see the point in spending over 70 a bottle, so I am always drinking alone haha.

Absinthe seems to be for people with interests in history and with some kind of artistic edge.

Also, here in Orange County, and the rest of Southern California, everything is running so fast, there is so much stress, and people do not appreciate life's little secrets. I make it a priority to slow down, and enjoy things from multiple angles.

#10 shinsain

shinsain

Wormwood Society Drug Czar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:07 PM

No. Most don't get it; however, I don't think they get it because those into connoisseurship are relatively few comparatively.

But on the other hand, I don't give a rat's ass either, so whatever. That's why I have you folks.
Nay, be what thou wilt; but I will bury him: well for me to die in doing that. I shall rest, a loved one with him whom I have loved, sinless in my crime; for I owe a longer allegiance to the dead than to the living: in that world I shall abide for ever.

#11 MASTERPC

MASTERPC

Just me

• Diamond Member
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:13 PM

I like sharing the passion with you good people. No one I know, personally, can be bothered and not just for the lack of trying it. I choose to keep it to myself except for this portal. Might sound sad but it keeps me smiling.
"I read an article recently on the dangers of heavy drinking..
Scared the shit out of me.
So, that's it! After today, no more reading."

#12 Fixedspiral

Fixedspiral

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:24 PM

I have tried to get several friends into absinthe. But its failed attempt after failed attempt. I feeling I get is that most of the people who get obsessed with absinthe are fascinated by its history. That is why I tried it, and why I dedicated myself to it for some time. My friends do not see the point in spending over 70 a bottle, so I am always drinking alone haha.

Most of my friends are the cheap vodka and Bud Light or PBR kinda people. Occasionally my roommate and I get some Newcastle or something with a little more flavor, but most of my friends drink for effect (which isn't to say that I never do) and really don't care too much about the taste. This being the case, most of them probably wouldn't go for absinthe other than to say they've drank it.

Edited by Fixedspiral, 13 July 2007 - 07:25 PM.

#13 Dillinger

Dillinger

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:30 PM

Good ol' PBR
Stranger, stop and wish me well.
Just say a prayer for my soul in hell.
I was a good fellow, most people said,
betrayed by a woman dressed all in red

#14 Fixedspiral

Fixedspiral

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:37 PM

Better than King Cobra...

#15 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:47 PM

I guess I never really bothered to contemplate it before, but out of my social circle I'm the only one who drinks absinthe. I am a little bit famous around here because of that, though, due to a little incident last year. One of the larger drinkers in my crowd decided he was going to be really tough and down a shot of my Eddy, then another. Imagine our surprise, and his continual amazement, that they came right back up!

I don't really focus on the fact that it's watered down 3:1 when I drink it, I just bask in the glow of being the toughest drinker around. :laf:

Actually, I have several obsessions in life, this being but one of them, and one of the cheaper ones at that.
- cogito ergo louche

I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it. - Neil Gaiman

#16 LeRoy

LeRoy

Shifty eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:51 PM

King Cobra!
Wow! I remember buying that for a quick buzz in my late teens (or rather having someone buy it for me).

None of my immediate friends understand the Absinthe obsession I have.
Most just want to drink their Mich. Golden Light or Miller Lite get drunk.

I have to agree with Shinsain's comment.

"We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight"
HP Lovecraft

http://yourinspirationathome.com.au

#17 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:33 PM

Most of my hobbies and interests involve liquor now. I usually can't relate to people who only drink cheap shit for the sake of getting a buzz. Same is true for people who drink anything for status, such as self-described "wine snobs" who are only actually snobby about the fact that they drink wine at all, yet know nothing about it whatsoever. Those things tend to say a lot about other aspects of their personalities besides taste in booze. Nothing wrong with those people per se, but I typically can't find common ground with them.

Almost all of my friends drink absinthe and those who don't have an appreciation for fine beer and/or liquor.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#18 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,002 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:51 PM

We had very dear friends and family here, tonight. All eight of us had at least one glass of absinthe, one for the first time. There are perhaps two or three of that group that don't "get it" but because they are such good friends, they know it's important to the rest of us and they are good with it.

#19 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

• 3,825 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:39 PM

I seem to know a lot of people who don't drink at all, so they don't even know I drink, let alone drink absinthe.

And the few people who visit, some will have a glass when they're here but they're not interested in going to the trouble of ordering from Europe.

"Good is the only investment that never fails." Thoreau.
"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Distiller and Proprietor, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. DSP-NY-15019. www.delawarephoenix.com

#20 Grey Boy

Grey Boy

The Snitty One

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 02:31 PM

Most people don't get me,
but then again,
I don't "get" most people either.
So we're even.
I'm gonna meet pierreverte!

#21 Le Gimp

Le Gimp

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:28 PM

Better than King Cobra...

Skip the Hurricane. It is even worse. Steel reserve 8.2% is pretty good though.

#22 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,825 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:34 AM

Brought a bottle up to Pittsburgh for my wife's twin's wedding. After the rehearsal dinner, we sat in the lounge having some drinks. I pulled out the bottle and got a carafe of ice water. Everyone enjoyed the ritual and loved to watch me slowly louche up each glass, but none of them wanted to have any. Oh well, more for me. ;)
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#23 Daniel Lyons

Daniel Lyons

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:59 AM

Hmm.

I think my story is the same as everyone else's here. I like things of quality and complexity, and things of quality are often complex. Most people don't like to think hard about anything, least of all their booze.

My friends aren't surprised by my absinthe thing after I explain it, but most of them don't share any interest in it. Especially when I tell them the truth about the secondary effects.

#24 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 04:27 PM

Brought a bottle up to Pittsburgh for my wife's twin's wedding. After the rehearsal dinner, we sat in the lounge having some drinks. I pulled out the bottle and got a carafe of ice water. Everyone enjoyed the ritual and loved to watch me slowly louche up each glass, but none of them wanted to have any. Oh well, more for me. ;)

I did that at a party recently, and aside from my wife being very proud of me and my accoutrements, there was little if any interest. Yup, more for me.

B)
- cogito ergo louche

I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it. - Neil Gaiman

#25 Guillaume Lanfray

Guillaume Lanfray

Nobodaddy's sweetheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 04:33 PM

...but in all actuality, wasn't absinthe a poor man's drink?

After I buy it, it usually is!
Whoever "gets" me might get some absinthe! :arrr:

#26 Fixedspiral

Fixedspiral

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 04:41 PM

Exactly! :-P Last night I had 3 or 4 friends of mine try some VdF. Even though most of them had had a few drinks earlier on (it was a 21st birthday party), I was surprised at the amount of positive reaction. Being that most of them are gamer geeks (although I don't play, I guess I might as well be guilty by association), they "got" it, as they're kinda in the same league, just a different subject.

Needless to say, I ended up hiding the bottle for the rest of the night!

#27 Dillinger

Dillinger

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:39 AM

That I'll eat most any food makes people consider me a great houseguest. That I'll enjoy most any booze makes people think, not that I am an alcoholic, but just sorta weird. Funny that.
Stranger, stop and wish me well.
Just say a prayer for my soul in hell.
I was a good fellow, most people said,
betrayed by a woman dressed all in red

#28 SoulShade

SoulShade

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:56 PM

With the response I'm used to, I wonder if even forumites are real.
Let's know what we're talking about here.

#29 ejellest

ejellest

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 03:54 PM

[...]
Especially when I tell them the truth about the secondary effects.

...or the tertiary effects on one's pocketbook.
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, San Francisco, CA, USA

#30 metodd1

metodd1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:08 PM

Absinthe seems to be for people with interests in history and with some kind of artistic edge.

I'm a musician with a bachelor's in history. So your theory seems sound.

I'm always a bit reluctant to talk about absinthe with most people, but sometimes when I've had a few drinks and the topic somehow comes up (usually not brought up by me), I start rattling off all this information and going on and on...always gets people to stop, turn their heads and look at me like "where the hell is this coming from, and how do you know so much about it?". Then I feel like a geek. Which, I am, so it's ok.

I'd say most people definitely don't get it. But then, most people are lame, so that's to be expected.
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It stands at the cradle of true art and true science. He to whom this feeling is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed. -AE

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association