Well, I'm more than overjoyed to say that my 1st order just came in, but the events immediately prior to are pretty funny...

Just before I woke up, I was having the best dream ever- my shipment made it through customs and was sitting on the doorstep. Happier than a kid at Christmas, I ripped open the box, only to find that I had ordered a bottle of Bairnsfather, KoS, and some other anonymous Chechzinthe. Upon further inspection of the invoice, I saw part of the order was a three bottle special, and instead of 5 bottles, only 3 arrived... In my dream world, I ran down the stairs of my apartment, and ran outside looking for the delivery guy... bust!

I woke up in a cold sweat, and not 2 minutes later, *KNOCK*KNOCK*, and what do you know... it was fine.

Suffice to say, I had to louche up just a sampling of VdF at 9:30 this morning :blush: You know, on the one hand, come on, it's absinthe, but on the other, come on, it's 9:30 IN THE MORNING!

:laugh:

I've had those dreams. While 9:30 is a bit early, Maggie and I tore into our first order very early, too. (sad to say, NOT VdF) By 2:00 in the afternoon, we were both sound asleep. :cheers:

I dunno, mang.

Every now and then I still louche up that early. ;)

Yeah, but you're a head-banging axe-wielding maniac. It's expected.

And I keep trying to remind you guys, it's always after noon somewhere in the absinthe world. Just pretend you're :cheers: with somebody in a different time zone. ;)

Oh, and Fixedspiral (is that the pc term for a screw?) be glad it was only a bad dream. Glad you got your goods and all's right in your world. :)

It was unlike anything I've had before. The very first idea that popped into my mind when i opened the VdF was "Tequilla?" (please nobody bitch-slap me for that one...) I poured a small glass and tried it out. Being a such a new flavor to me, after a few more glasses over the course of the weekend, I think it's going to turn into a really expensive habit!

Speaking of, I think I'm going to have a proper glass now... :cheers:

The previous post is probably misleading. I meant solely on the very first impression of the smell that it reminded me of tequila. Technically, yes, i tried a very small taste neat, just to get an idea of what was going on, but no, the glass i was talking about was sugar-cubed and louched.

By "proper glass" i just meant Absomphe-sized. ;)

(edit) My second glass is nothing like the first. I'm not exactly sure where I got "tequila" from, but it WAS 9:30 and I hadn't gotten much sleep. ::sigh:: This is bad... toootally bad... I'm a broke college student and there's no way, shape, or form in HELL that I'm going to be able to keep up with this habit :tongue:

Edited by Fixedspiral

It is always very recommended to try it neat to compare how the taste has opened, developed and got enriched thru water/sugar addition.

Absomphesized? Keep it up! But it is intriguing to hear that you are able to distinguish in absinthe taste-tequila smell.

By "proper glass" i just meant Absomphe-sized. ;)

Oh, the painful irony, says he, as he sips his Absomphesized Arrowhead Springwater. :rolleyes:

Hey, it might be 9:30 am where you are, but somewhere on the globe is happy hour. Rereading the Patrick O'Brian navel novels, (for the third time) where in the early 1800's they had "small beer" for breakfast. Seems very civilized! And my Dad used to talk about by grandfather, who used to get up early in NY winters and start the coal stove going, and then sitting down and having a "shot." Hey nothing less than that would get me up on a cold winter morning!

The last few days here I've had a glass in the morning, with sugar. Gets me all pumped up to go down to the pool and do nothing all day. haha

Wow, am I the only one not embarrassed to louche up in the morning?

To tell you the truth, I've been on vacation for like the last month and sometimes I get up at 10 or 11 and instead of coffee, I louche an absinthe, sit out in the yard and just relax...

Screw "happy hour somewhere" it's happy hour whenever I choose! To hell with society!

Yeah, but I'll bet yours is the kind that has strings.

All of mine do too, except three... and only one of those isn't a guitar.

As far as I'm concerned sipping absinthe is like having eggs for dinner or pizza for breakfast. Who cares? It's food! Also, most importantly, depending on what you do in the life and the time that you do what you do can make this no big deal or criminal. I mean, if you told me you louched up and had a commercial jet to fly shortly after or something, I might take offense (if I found out).

I've gotten up (or waited for sunrise on quite a few occasions) and made a glass of Absente, and while I enjoy it, it doesn't negate the fact that I feel like I'm becoming more and more of an alcoholic. :unsure: But as long as it's in check, it's all good.

On a side note, I louched a glass of Serpis 65 and couldn't help but think of Absente (US) with each sip. It wasn't exactly the same, but similar enough to justify saying this, which makes me wonder why I've heard so much negativity towards it (Absente.) And sooner or later, I'll stop using Absente as the basis of comparison for everything. Promise!

Oh you can use it as a basis of comparison, alright. It's shittier than almost everything else, but not as shitty as the really shitty stuff. See? :cheers:

Even though I don't like the VdF at all, at least I know it's a quality product, made with care. I just don't happen to like the taste. Absente, on the other hand, (in the US at least), is almost, but not quite, a scam. If it's all you've got, well, at least it tastes better than Pernod. I admit it's all I drank for nearly a year until I started reading stuff here and at FV, and buying Jade.

The similarity between Serpis and Absente is really superficial. They're both star anise-heavy. Unless I'm mistaken Serpis 65 is distilled and Absente is not, so there's definitely a difference in the quality of the anise flavour. As you gain experience your palate will become more refined and you will be able to discern how very different the two are.

Absente tasting better than Pernod means nothing to me since neither are anywhere near as good as a good arak, yet both are more expensive.