Angelique and Aa in Coloration  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

That is correct. The Aa in the coloring step ruins the mouthfeel, not the taste. It's quite a decent absinthe before you swallow.

many of you would appreciate it much more.

Um, that's exactly what everyone has been saying. The AA leaves a very harsh finish. If that wasn't in there, then it wouldn't be bad at all.

By the way, was your reasoning for trying the wormwood tea the same as your reasoning for smoking it? ;)

No, I have not tried wormwood tea. Ewww. Why would I?

I had an open mind when I tasted the Angelique. I could actually drink it but the horrifyingly bitter finish prevented me from enjoying drinking it.

Maybe it's a genetic difference in taste perception among different people, similar to the ability to taste ptc as bitter.

Actually, it sounds like it needs very little work. Simple removal of the Aa from the coloring.

Okay, well, to me it needs a lot of work. The nasty Aa finish is the most glaring problem but there's other stuff about it I think is screwy. Without the undistilled Aa it would be decent but not great.

Have any of you even tasted wormwood tea? There is no way in hell you can relate Angelique to that.

Wormwood tea is the most vile thing I've ever sipped.

With 6-7 sugar cubes, it is very palatable and minty, only slightly bitter.

But with wormwood tea there is no relation to any other absinthe, even Angelique which seems to be liked by more and more absintheurs. And in fact, it is about angelica root AFAIK not only wormwood-in-colouration. Hopefully, one day I willl try that absinthe.

If Bugnon had an issue with finding good Pontica and wanted to make a unique verte, how about a verte with no artemisia in the coloring step at all?
:shock: Heretic!! Repeat after me: "There is no room for innovation in absinthe." "All absinthe must be made only according to the recipes in Duplais." Pardon me, I exaggerate. I agree that Aa has no place in coloration, at least not in the amounts that Angelique apparently has. Theoretically I could see just a smidgen for folks who actually like the bitter edge, but I think there are better ways of achieving that.
Y'all are making it sound like you're drinking battery acid, with some gawd-awful burning sensation that sends you running to eat aluminum so you can forget.
I LOLed when I read that. Maybe it's because I have metal fillings.
Have any of you even tasted wormwood tea?
I'm thinking most of us have, and that's how we know the difference, because raw wormwood and distilled wormwood don't even taste like they're from the same planet, let alone the same plant.

I think you nailed it Marcel. We've been over this many times here, as you will see if you do a search on "genetic." It's really the same as the sugar fights.

There's a definite polarity here: some folks think it's vile dreck, while others acknowledge its idiosyncratic bitterness, but don't find it offensive. I'd like to add a poll to this topic and see if there's a corollary.

Also, you guys, add your reviews to the site! Just read the instructions and keep it frank but constructive. The makers value your feedback, but not your insults. 'K?

Hiram, the poll won't let those of us who haven't tried Angelique to vote.

Well, not honestly.

It requires an answer in the first question. Can you add "I haven't tried Angelique, but have opinions on the other part of this poll"?

Dagnabbit.

A null vote to see the results was recorded as an actual vote.

Er, 1 for "ain't tried it" and 1 for the first Both of the Above (against it for both reasons).

Same here, I wanted to see the votes'results but it had voted instead of me choosing none. Angelique's curse or what? :devil:

Uh huh. But no reason to blush, Bluescat. ;)

Funny how some people get upset if anyone likes something they don't. Do a search for François Guy or worse yet, sugar. It has about the same importance as whether you like a Fords or a Chevy. :laugh:

Just don't set your absinthe on fire and I'll still be your friend. :cheers:

That is correct. The Aa in the coloring step ruins the mouthfeel, not the taste. It's quite a decent absinthe before you swallow.

Ok, read my post next time.

I was stating,

IF, just IF, Angelique did NOT use Aa in the coloring step, and it tasted just as it does (just for the sake of it), would so many people not like it?

I say no.

I have watched person after person try it (including girls), and seen not even a grimace. And never a negative remark.

This proves to me

1. It is not battery acid.

2. Peer pressure controls the palate

I am startled that so many actually find it, UNDRINKABLE. That is complete hogwash.

I will have a glass right now. 1 Part Angelique, 4 Parts Water (It is 72%), No Sugar.

Fine louche, sweet taste, angelica and anise easily detected. wormwood detected. Goes down just fine. Second sip tastes even better. For me, it has a fantastic mouth feel, better than most commercial brands.

I understand we all hate oil mixes, or swills, or anything out of tradition.

But being that this is made by a reputable distiller, it was worth a try.

Most importantly, this wouldn't have have been released if it was a horrible drink.

Very pleasant aftertaste.

This is not François Guy, which IS drinkable, but clearly lacks complexity.

I'll give you that it is "different," but there is no way in !!HELL!! it is as some of you describe it.

Funny how some people get upset if anyone likes something they don't.

Maybe I haven't had the diligence to read all the posts of this thread, so maybe I missed this part.

Zzz, you seem a little angry this morning. I'm sorry to see that. But none of the folks whom you are attacking have described Angelique as battery acid.

If the Angelique used less star anise and Pontica in the coloration is would be one of the better brands. Unfortunately it doesn't and isn't. Some people will always like anything - I had a bottle of Mater Luginbuhl I and many others think of as undrinkably horrid. A bit like iodine and asparagus piss. Peridot thinks it's great and so I was glad to give it to him. Taste is indeed relative.

This proves to me

1. It is not battery acid.

Watch your step there, grasshopper. Several people here did blind tastings, so they had no idea what they were drinking before they made that conclusion. At the same time, I can think of one specific instance last weekend where your second assumption was proven false. Peridot had louched up some Tabu and was passing it around. Several people absolutely hated it. He passed it to 'someone' ;) and said something along the lines of 'Here, try this crap.' And guess what? She really liked it. She drank the rest of the glass.

I am startled that so many actually find it, UNDRINKABLE. That is complete hogwash.

Different people have different tastes. Get over it. Personally, I know there are several absinthes I like that most people on both WS AND FV think are sinkable drinks.

I will have a glass right now. 1 Part Angelique, 4 Parts Water (It is 72%), No Sugar.
4 parts water might dilute the AA quite a bit more than what I tried it at.
But being that this is made by a reputable distiller, it was worth a try.
Worth a try? Yes. I'm pretty sure everyone here who is criticizing the finish have actually tasted it first. :twitchsmile:
I'll give you that it is "different," but there is no way in !!HELL!! it is as some of you describe it
Some people are affected by bitterness differently than others. And ya know, some people can understand exaggeration when they see it. ;)

This proves to me

Pretty presumptive coming from someone who hasn't met the majority of us and has no clue as to our ability to forumulate our own decisions.

I have watched person after person try it (including girls), and seen not even a grimace.
Care to tell me why it was important to single out girls? Do we have funny palates? Then again, this is coming from someone who thinks...
absinthe rule 1

never take advice from a woman

I think I have a new signature line.

What controls your palate Zzz?

"Everything left worth saying is being worked on in laboratories.

All hail Claude and Breaux"

Care to tell me why it was important to single out girls?

Clearly I'm a chauvinist

Yeah you're all right. I'm not quite sure why I periodically care if people disagree with me. I will try and approach the forum sober more often.

That graphic up there got me laughing haha.