Angelique and Aa in Coloration  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A word of advice: taste it last in case you have the same reaction to it that some of us have had. That way, the acrid lingering aftertaste won't spoil everything else you drink.

A word of advice: taste it last in case you have the same reaction to it that some of us have had. That way, the acrid lingering aftertaste won't spoil everything else you drink.

Did you guys try to suck water from the fountain too?

I felt like it, but I just poured the rest of my glass into an innocent bystander's (Helfrich's glass)!

edited because the first time it sounded like I poured it directly into Helfrich

Edited by Marcel

After that first hit of anise, the Angelica comes rolling in like a tidal wave. The Angelica is big, bold and spicy as can be. It's frickin' huge! After the Angelica subsides, the Wormwood is left lingering in the background and gently fades away. Not horribly bitter, lasting for hours but gently.

It is all about the Angelica. Yes, there is plenty of Wormwood bite but it's playing third string fiddle to the other herbs. My bottle is less than two months old. In a few months more, I'll look forward to what has happened. I think it's going to be very interesting.

I received my bottle Monday afternoon. That night I had a small glass.

Tonight, I am having another.

I am with you, T.

There is a bitterness in the back of the throat, but not overwhelming or horrible. The other herbs are there and give a nice flavor.

The date on the bottle is June 16.

I too, am very curious what this will taste like in a couple more months. :cheers:

Had it last night. I'm not using hyperbole. I really hate it. Aroma of toothpaste. Good toothpaste, but toothpaste nonetheless. Flavour is good if you like star anise. Finish is horrendously disgusting. It's not just a bitter finish, it's a nasty tasting bitter finish.

I think I need a couple of days to reboot, but I did want to add 2nd rearview. Yup, me no likes this. It had real promise on the front end, but after it goes down...

Thankfully, it did not ruin my palate for the rest of the evening.

I can see how it wouldn't be loved by everyone. I find Angelique interesting and far more tasty than other nontraditional absinthes but then, I'm frequently a fan of Wormwood Bombs. :dev-cheers:

I love me some wormwood as well. My favorite blanche is the Wormwood Blanche. This aint a traditional wormwood taste on the way down.

Like Hissy said, when you take a drink, it tastes very nice while it's in your mouth. But once you swallow... Damn, there is a harshness there that makes it pretty much undrinkable. I had to pass off the glass after two sips.

I'd have to agree with you on the Wormwood Blanche. It is/was outstanding. I had another Wormwood Bomb in Seattle that rivaled it. Personally, I wish the Wormwood Blanche had gone into production instead of the 1797.

I love wormwood bombs ('specially the WB), too, but I don't feel like Angelique is one. It's an anise/ angelica bomb with a disgusting, bitter finish.

I made Mr.Defo try it without knowing what it was. He took a sip, swished it around, and said, "This is pretty nice." Then when he swallowed it he made a horrible face and said, "You bastard, what is this crap?"

This aint a traditional wormwood taste on the way down.

That's undistilled wormwood -- a Czech tradition that made it to Val-de-Travers. It doesn't compare to a wormwood bomb like Wormwood Blanche.

I made Mr.Defo try it without knowing what it was. He took a sip, swished it around, and said, "This is pretty nice." Then when he swallowed it he made a horrible face and said, "You bastard, what is this crap?"

Wait for it...wait for it... :dead:

I too tried the Angelique. And got the taste of raw AA scraping across the back of my mouth. And it's unmistakable. It ruined what was otherwise a really fine drink.

I have to agree that 1) Angelique is a ruined product, and 2) Angelique is most definitely not a wormwood bomb. If the overwhelming bitterness was what we enjoyed most, we'd just drink wormwood tea and save ourselves the hangover. I don't taste wormwood in Angelique very prominently at all. I feel the wormwood after I swallow. The entire reason wormwood is put in the distillation is so that you taste it rather than feel it.

If Bugnon had an issue with finding good Pontica and wanted to make a unique verte, how about a verte with no artemisia in the coloring step at all?

It was in my recollection a horrible and thereby memorable experience. But one I would have rather passed on.

Edited by MadBoricua

The shame of it is that I would think that a maker would really work on something until it was as perfect as possible before marketing and take special pride in their creation. There is no reason for anyone who pays the least bit of attention or cares at all about a quality product to color with AA and certainly not in the 21st century with all the information available.

Maybe henceforth it should be known as Bugnon's Blunder.

The thing is, he likes it. Everyone in Couvet likes it. He does take pride in it. He knows you're not supposed to put Aa in the coloring step, it was a conscious decision. He thinks it came out great.

And I liked it when I was there. Maybe it was mass hypnosis? I haven't tried it since I got back, I guess it's time to try it again. Y'all are making it sound like you're drinking battery acid, with some gawd-awful burning sensation that sends you running to eat aluminum so you can forget.

Well, the bitterness wasn't so bad that it lasted the evening and ruined all other drinks that came after for me. But it was certainly cringe-inducing at the moment.

The aroma is pleasant but totally wrong. Smells like Colgate. There's potential in the Angelique but it really does need a lot of work.

Have any of you even tasted wormwood tea? There is no way in hell you can relate Angelique to that.

Wormwood tea is the most vile thing I've ever sipped.

For some reason I get the idea that if lets say, Aa was not used in the coloring step (and it tasted the same), many of you would appreciate it much more.