Angelique and Aa in Coloration  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Now that I know some of you have tasted Claude's brand new verte suisse, ANGELIQUE, I thought we could open a thread on it.

Naturally colored, an excellent louche, great mouth feel, complex, minty, bitter, I put it 2nd on my list, under the 1910.

I find the macerated wormwood that keeps lingering for hours really horrible. I like the label though. It's the kind of "joie de vivre" I highly prefer over death's heads or cat's eyes glowing in the dark.

Angelique is naturally coloured, but the wrong way. Bugnon has used A. absinthium. Not much, and the first sip starts as something tasty - but then this nasty bitterness comes through, and like Helfrich said, it just stays there. For hours. I am pretty sure that Bugnon could have made a really nice verte, had he just used the proper herbs and nothing but that for colouring. But alas, he didn't.

I don't get a bitter aftertaste at all........I like it a lot! I put it up there, just like Zzz does, with the 1901. Sonny does too.

Among the new Swiss vertes, it's the better one. That bitterness is definitely there though. And that ruins what could otherwise be a perfectly fine drink.

Among the new Swiss vertes, it's the better one. That bitterness is definitely there though. And that ruins what could otherwise be a perfectly fine drink.

Hm... I really don't detect a "horrible" bitterness. It actually becomes increasingly pleasant. Strange.

I've had but one glass of it, and I have to admit I didn't notice the bitterness. Of course, it was my first drink after a long day of travel with two kids and I was further distracted by the excitement of meeting an old friend for the first time. In other words, I really wasn't paying scrutinizing attention to the drink, but found it enjoyable under the circumstances. At the same time, I was very interested to hear Bugnon say that he thought it was too bitter for his personal taste.

I just find it interesting that the first verte he puts on the market is designed for people with a taste for somewhat more bitter products. According to PB, more bitter than his own tastes.

Why not make the first verte a more well-rounded product?

Hm... I really don't detect a "horrible" bitterness. It actually becomes increasingly pleasant. Strange.

I assume Gertz and I are just oversensitive, and I got to swallow more than I wanted because Spoon emptied his glass in mine. Besides I usually drink absinthe as an aperitif and it's almost impossible to enjoy a meal after a glass of this, erm... product. Bugnon knows that as well indeed. Still he thinks that A.a. is a fine alternative to pontica that tastes like "hay".

I haven't had the Angelique, but I'm rather surprised no one is talking about the angelica. It is supposed to have angelica in it right? Seeds or root? Can you taste or smell it?

he thinks that A.a. is a fine alternative to pontica that tastes like "hay".
No, an alternative would be a pontica that didn't. ;)

I've found there are different types of "bitter." Lots of a good bitter is still good, yet small amounts of a cringe inducing bitter is quite bad.

I haven't had Angelique but I have found wormwood oil in others to be a cringe inducing bitter. Where as a nicely bitter 1797 to be a very good bitter. I might put the bitterness 'level' at about the same but not the quality.

If that made any sense, perhaps I need to be drinking to make an understandable post.

It is supposed to have angelica in it right? Seeds or root?

I believe Claude-Alain is the root and seed.

But he refuses to distill his daughter.

The herb, yes. ;)

Well, I have just learned that everyone talking about this extreme bitterness and macerated nightmare tasted the first batch, made last year. The new batch was just released to the public in June, and pre-released a few months before. I assure you, it is much better.

I was told personally by Claude that he does not create and sell anything he would not drink himself.

It gives you that clean swiss quality, with a bit more bitterness and kick. The Angelica definitely comes through as a prominent flavor.

I'm not too fond of the 1797, but it is properly distilled, the wormwood is excellent and the bitterness is appropriate. It doesn't suck at all. The Angélique does.

I'm not too fond of the 1797, but it is properly distilled, the wormwood is excellent and the bitterness is appropriate. It doesn't suck at all. The Angélique does.

Alright I'm having a glass right now to check this out.

Up front, it is seemingly sweet, crisp. As I swallow, a mild bitterness raises the back of my tongue. The texture left throughout the mouth is very nice.

And the aftertaste is completely pleasant, not close to horribly bitter.

Nah, but how 'bout this.
the 1797... it is properly distilled

I was more or less expecting such a reply, since you are around. I said it in this context for the sake of argument and now I confess guilt in front of all the Angélique fans. But that's because of you.

Guess I'm guilty of bein' too damn predictable. I'll be sure to work on that… bit rusty as you can imagine.