Sign in to follow this  
tayker

Louche Your Absinthe, Plebs

It started with such promise before,

"Hours later, I was discussing Simspons episodes with an enormous spider with the face of Pitt the Elder."

Dork.

Whadda wuss! What is this, generation "placebo effect"? I am thinking of suggesting he try this... "An additional "banana" myth originating in the 1960s was the "electrical banana" mentioned in the Donovan song, "Mellow Yellow". One version of the myth was that if you chewed a piece of gum, inserted it in an unpeeled banana, wrapped it in electrical tape for about a week, the aged gum, when chewed again would get you "high".

"D00d, once you chew that gum, you will See Pitt the Younger, Brad Pitt, P.I.T.T. the South African thrash band, The student body of Pitt University and the entire county of Pitt, North Carolina!"

Quoting from the aforementioned page:

"The first time I drank it was when I was 18, in a Czech absinthe bar in the basement of a hostel I was staying at in Prague. Hunched over the epileptic flames that hollowed their faces and glazed their eyes, backpackers melted sugar in a spoon like heroin addicts, then dumped it in their glass and swirled it around until the absinth went milky."

Not having tried any of the generally reviled czechsinth myself, I thought the stuff did not louche to any significant degree? Even with the flaming sugar as additive, does the so-called "louche" sound correct? Is this more mumbo jumbo or outright fiction?

Many Czechsinthes don't louche. Others do. It all depends on which one he was drinking. Most however, don't louche up anywhere near what a 'good' louche should look like.

Maybe he was using Stromu which to little extent due to some anise in and caramelised sugar might "louch" a :) bit. Or look such.

You guys are gonna be really pissed at me if I tell you I used to go by the handle Pitt the Elder in my early days in Prague, aren't you? I swear, everybody was doing it then. It's not my fault. :devil:

As long as your first name wasn't Shiloh.

Although, the name taken as a whole is a great Spoonerism.

Who's Dr. Cocktail?

Ever since the whole "absinthe isn't illegal" thing has come about, I've seen a few articles and blog posts pop up. This was the first one I thought that was worth mentioning.

Ted "Dr. Cocktail" Haigh is a cocktail geek to the n'th degree, and a member of this forum. He wrote the book "Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails", which is highly acclaimed amongst the cocktail cognoscenti. His specialty, as the title of the book might imply, is ancient, obscure, and defunct ingredients. He has a wild-ass collection of such at his home in LA.